The main airports in New York are JFK (John F. Kennedy), La Guardia in Queens and Newark in New Jersey. The Big Apple is one of the most important gateways to the United States, where travelers arrive from all over the world.
Once you land on American soil you will have to choose the best way to get to downtown New York from the airport. I will tell you the options for you to choose from, although for me, the best value for money option is the shared transfer.
Shared transfer from the airport to your hotel in Manhattan
After a long flight where you are exhausted and carrying suitcases, the last thing you want to do is to walk around the terminal looking for a cab and pay an exorbitant fare or having to wait forever in public transport to get to your hotel. Therefore, the most comfortable option is to book a shared transfer to your hotel in Manhattan where you will travel aboard fully equipped modern minivans.
Their fleet of vehicles has a maximum capacity of eleven passengers. They have enough space for luggage (each traveler can carry a maximum of one suitcase and one carry-on bag), they will pick you up at the airport and drop you off at the door of your hotel.
- How does it work: Transfers operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. After booking, you will receive a confirmation email and they will be waiting for you! When your flight lands at JFK, Newark or La Guardia airports, just go to the Ground Transportation Desk in the terminal and present your printed voucher to one of the agents for instructions.
- What happens if the flight is delayed: At the time of booking you will be asked for your flight information so that the company can monitor your flight at all times, so they will know if the flight is delayed. Flights with small delays do not affect the transfer reservation.
- Are the prices final: The price you pay at the time of booking is a fixed amount and will not depend on the traffic on arrival in New York. However, gratuities and excess baggage charges are not included.
Shared transfer from Manhattan to any New York airport
At the end of our stay in New York, what we are most concerned about is getting to the airport in time to catch our flight back home in peace and quiet and without having to look for a cab or making multiple transfers on public transport in the city. Again, as with your arrival, the most convenient option is to book a transfer from the hotel to the airport.
- How does it work: Transfers run every day without interruption. At the time of booking, you will have to indicate your return flight details and the address of your hotel so that the driver of the shared transfer knows where and when to pick you up. To facilitate the service, our advice is to inform the hotel porter or concierge that you are waiting for a driver to pick you up at the airport.
- Prices are final: As in the arrival transfer from the airport to your hotel, the prices are final and neither the kilometers traveled nor the traffic can vary the rate, it is a fixed price. On the other hand, tips are not included.
Private transfer from all New York airports
Whether you are tired after a long flight and do not want to walk around looking for a free cab, or you are not familiar with the public transportation network and prefer not to transfer, or you do not speak much English and are afraid of getting lost, the most comfortable and fastest way to get to your hotel is with a private transfer from the airport to your hotel in New York.
The main difference between the shared transfer and the private transfer is that this time the vehicle and the driver will be at your disposal and the vehicle will be only for you and your group, you will not have to wait for other passengers.
- How it works: This transfer service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Depending on the number of people you are going to make use of this service, at the time of booking you will have to choose between a private transfer in a luxury sedan for three people, a VIP SUV that can carry up to six passengers or a van that can occupy up to nine passengers. Then you will need to provide your flight arrival details and the full address of your hotel, apartment or home address in Manhattan. Your transfer will be instantly confirmed and you will be given a voucher to present to the driver.
- Luggage: The interior of all vehicles is elegant and spacious and has sufficient capacity to carry the luggage of all users (each traveler is allowed a maximum of 1 suitcase and 1 handbag).
- What is the price of this private transfer: The price is per person based on three passengers per car, six per SUV or nine passengers per van. The rate corresponds to an all-inclusive pick-up and drop-off service, plus local taxes and toll charges. The price you pay at the time of booking is a fixed amount and will not depend on traffic on arrival in New York.
Private transfer from Manhattan to any New York Airport
Pre-booking a private transfer from your hotel to the New York airport is the best way to catch your flight back home without having to worry about finding a cab at the last minute on the day of departure or making endless public transportation rides carrying suitcases, with all the stress that goes with it.
With this private transfer from your hotel in Manhattan to any airport in New York, an experienced driver who knows the streets of the city, will pick you up at the door of your hotel in time to drive you to the terminal where you will take your return flight. No waiting and no stress, with the peace of mind of knowing that you will arrive on time to board the plane and that you will not pay an exorbitant price for it.
If you land at one airport and have to change to another, you can also count on this service. Forget about the stress of missing a flight thanks to this private transfer.
- How does it work: The private transfer service back to the airport works in the same way as the arrival one, only this time you will have to indicate the address of your hotel and the details of your flight departure. Your transfer will be confirmed and you will be given a voucher to present to the driver. Depending on the time of day, traffic may be more congested. Normally, it is recommended to be at the airport 2 hours before your flight departs, although 3 hours in advance is ideal. In this regard, we advise you to calculate additional time to determine your hotel pick-up time. During rush hour, add at least 45 minutes for the closest airport (LaGuardia) and 75 minutes for the farthest airports (JFK and Newark).
- About luggage: On the day of the transfer, the driver will be waiting for you at the door of your hotel or residence in Manhattan to take you to the airport on time. Remember that if you have special needs or luggage, you can contact the company once you have made your reservation so that they can answer any questions you may have. This is a personalized service.
- About the price: This private transfer from the hotel to the airport is very good value for money, if you take into account that the service is very similar to a cab but you make sure that you pay a fixed amount in advance and that the fare does not depend on the traffic when you arrive in New York.
Other options to get around New York
New York is a city that is well connected. Its public transportation network is quite efficient and allows you to move quickly from end to end to explore every corner of the Big Apple.
It is one of the largest in the world with more than 1,000 kilometers of tracks. Trains run 24 hours a day and consist of 26 lines whose names can be numbers or letters. It was inaugurated in the early twentieth century and gives the feeling that the stations look somewhat outdated and are not very clean. This is our guide to the New York subway.
If you don't want to use the subway in New York, buses are a very convenient option, although you will suffer the consequences of heavy traffic. There are hundreds of lines, but to avoid confusion, it is best to take a look at the maps of the lines at each stop. Bus lines consist of a number and a letter. The letter indicates the district where the bus operates: Manhattan (M), Brooklyn (B), Queens (Q), Bronx (Bx) and Staten Island (S).
Cabs are another way to get around New York. Thanks to their iconic yellow color you can identify them from far away and stop by raising your hand. The prices are usually very expensive as small supplements and tips make the ride more expensive. If you want to save money and time try to hail a cab going in the same direction you are headed.
Uber has become a very popular means of transportation in New York. You can book them conveniently from the app. Generally speaking, they are cheaper than cabs but if the demand is very high and there are few drivers the fares will skyrocket. If you do not speak English it is a good option because you just have to put in the app the address you want to go and you do not need to give directions to the driver.
What are you going to do when you're there?
Organizing the logistics of your trip doesn't have to be boring. If you are thinking of an original and economical way to move around the city, don't forget that there is the option to move around the main points of interest in the best tourist buses in the city.
And of course, I leave here all the tips to get the most out of your trip: what to see and what to do in New York.