One of the most fascinating experiences you can have in the United States is to go to an MLB game. Whether you love baseball or you want to enjoy the great atmosphere that this sport brings to New York, it is definitely something you have to experience during your trip.
The most famous baseball teams in New York are the Yankees, whose home stadium is Yankee Stadium, and the Mets, whose home stadium is Citi Field. They are obviously rivals and both teams compete in MLB (Major League Baseball), which runs from early April through October. Although they compete in the same league (MLB), the Yankees play in the AL (American League) and the Mets in the NL (National League). Read on to learn more about both teams.
New York Yankees tickets; the favorite option
It is the most legendary team in New York with the most titles won in the four major professional leagues (MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL). The New York Yankees were founded in 1901 and have won 27 World Series out of the 40 they have played. They belong to the Eastern Division of the American League and play at the legendary Yankee Stadium located in the Bronx.
Tickets for the New York Mets, the great rivals
The other great team of the city is the New York Mets. They were founded in 1962 and to date have won 2 World Series, although they almost won another one in 2015. They are also part of the Eastern Division albeit of the National League and play at Citi Field stadium in Queens.
Where to buy MLB tickets in New York?
There are a lot of games in the MLB, in fact teams play every few days and even daily some weeks. So baseball tickets are usually easy to get, especially when compared to NBA tickets. To buy baseball tickets you have two options:
Buy tickets online and in advance for baseball games in NYC
If you want to include a baseball game in your getaway to New York, I recommend that you buy MLB tickets online before you travel.
- The demand to go to a baseball game in New York is high so it is normal for tickets to sell out quickly. The key is to buy them the sooner the better to get the best seat at the cheapest price.
- The American ticket market is dynamic, which means that prices go up as the date of the game approaches and the supply decreases (just like flights, for example). If you wait too long you run the risk of running out of tickets or that there will be few tickets at a high price and in sectors with less spectacular visibility.
- In addition, when you book online you can choose yourself the place you like best in the stadium. In my opinion, this is the easiest, safest and fastest option.
Buying MLB tickets at the stadium box office
In my experience, this is not the most advisable option. There are several reasons, I'll explain why:
- Buying baseball tickets at the box office means that you will have to do it when you arrive in New York, so you will have to adapt to the opening hours of the ticket window, travel to the stadium and wait in a very long queue to buy them.
- This means that you will waste precious time on your trip to New York when you could be taking a city tour or shopping in the Big Apple instead of waiting in line at the gates of a stadium.
- Getting your baseball tickets at the box office will be months later than when you could have bought them at home. So there will be far fewer options left and perhaps at an exorbitant price. Or they will be sold out due to the high demand that MLB has.
Beware of resale
If I have to give you one last piece of advice when it comes to buying your baseball tickets, it is to be cautious with the scalpers that swarm the stadium. You are likely to end up paying an inflated price for tickets that have poor visibility or, in the worst case scenario, are not authentic and will not allow you access to the game.
How much do MLB tickets cost in New York?
The price of New York Yankees or New York Mets baseball tickets depends on the opposing team and the day of the week the game is played as well as how close you are to the field and the pitcher (pitcher). Prices range from $20 at the top of the stadium to $500 in a VIP area. On average, set aside about $80 to get good tickets to enjoy the show.
Remember that prices vary from game to game and usually increase as the date of the game approaches. For this reason, if you want to see a baseball game during your trip to New York, it is best to buy tickets in advance.
How to save on tickets to NYC baseball games?
The first tips I can give you to save money when buying MLB tickets are what you probably imagine: buy tickets in advance and choose a team or a game that is not among the most important of the season. The third tip is, without a doubt, to choose your seat at the stadium wisely.
Which seat to choose in the stadium?
When choosing a seat in the stadium, the idea is to strike a balance between a good seat and your budget. The cheapest tickets correspond to the highest and farthest seats, while the lower the seats, the higher the price.
In any case, when you buy baseball tickets online you will see a photo with the exact views from each seat so you know what to expect from each location.
In short, the price of MLB tickets depends on how close you are to the field. As you get further away from the field, the price goes down.
Are the more expensive tickets worth buying?
It depends on how much of a baseball fan you are. If you are just going to a game to experience the atmosphere and have a good time, perhaps a ticket in any sector of the stadium, more or less close to the pitcher, will make you enjoy the experience just as much, even if you are watching the plays from afar.
If, on the other hand, you are really interested in baseball and want to see the plays and players up close, then my advice is to invest a little more money in getting good seats. The experience is worth it!
How much do New York Yankees tickets cost?
Although you will be able to find cheaper tickets if you sit in an area away from Yankee Stadium, the average price to pay for a baseball game at Yankee Stadium is between $35 and $90. Investing this amount will ensure you have good seats with visibility that allows you to enjoy the game.
What is the best seat at Yankee Stadium?
Always try to choose a row that is as low as possible and close to first base, as this is where 80% of the points will be disputed. The best seats are between sections 14 and 18 of each row, as they correspond to the home team and are close to home plate.
In this stadium, however, you will see the plays from almost anywhere, so if your goal is just to enjoy the experience you can find cheap tickets in section 400.
How much do New York Mets tickets cost?
Investing between $20 and $80 will get you a good seat at the New York Mets' Citi Field stadium. If you also choose a week day to go to the game, the ticket will probably be cheaper than if you go on Saturday or Sunday (although it will always depend on the opponent the Mets are facing and the point of the season to which the game in question belongs.
Which is the best seat at the Mets' Citi Field stadium?
The Mets stadium has 5 large sections (100, 200, 300, 400 and 500) divided into different subsections. The closer you are to the 100 section, the closer you will be to the field and the better you will see the game. If you are also located in the base zone, you will be able to enjoy even better most of the plays that take place during the game.
The best seats are between zones 111 and 128, but they will also be the most expensive; a mid-range option might be zones 310 to 330, where you will have good visibility without sacrificing the budget of your trip to New York.
What is the MLB season like and how long does it last?
MLB (Major League Baseball) is made up of 30 teams playing in the American League (AL) and National League (NL), with 15 teams in each league. Interestingly, although they compete in the same league, the Yankees and Mets belong to different MLB divisions as the former play in the American League (AL) and the latter in the National League (NL).
Each season the teams play 162 games and five teams from each league qualify for a four-team postseason championship, which ends with the World Series, a seven-game championship series between the winner of each league that has been held since 1903.
Preseason (February - March)
During the preseason, friendly series tours are held between February and March to prepare the teams and encourage the fans for the start of the new season.
Buying baseball tickets for preseason games is usually cheaper, although the quality of the games is lower, since teams often reserve their stars and are in the middle of their training camp.
Regular Season (April - early October)
This is played from April to early October with a 162-game schedule. During these months you can see the Yankees or the Mets play in their respective stadiums.
In the Regular Season there are two dates of great importance:
- Traditional Open Day: This is held in early April. All 30 MLB teams play on this day, which is the opening day of the season.
- MLB All Star: This takes place in mid-July. It is an annual baseball game between the best players of the National League and the American League.
The Playoffs (October)
The Playoffs or playoffs begin in October. The winners of each division - East, Central and West - qualify for this stage. These teams are defined as the teams with the most wins during the season. The champions of each division win their direct pass to the Divisional Series and the two wild card teams that qualify meet in the Wild Card Game.
Afterwards, the winners of the Divisional Series qualify for the Championship Series. The two best teams from each league, the American League and the National League, meet in the semifinals.
At this stage of the competition, only the best teams are left standing and they play each other in the playoffs. The games become even more exciting and the price of baseball tickets for the Playoffs goes up, but the spectacle is absolutely worth it.
MLB World Series (late October - early November)
Once the winners of each league are known comes one of the most anticipated moments for MLB fans, the World Series. The whole country comes to a standstill to watch one of the biggest sporting events of the year.
In the World Series, the American League champion and the National League champion face each other in a best-of-seven game. This championship takes place between late October and early November.
Naturally, baseball tickets for the World Series are the most expensive of the entire MLB season, but this is the game of games. The grand finale!
- What are the six baseball teams with the most World Series titles: NY Yankees with 27, St. Louis with 11, Oakland with 9, Boston with 9, San Francisco with 8 and LA Dodgers with 6.
How long is an MLB game?
Baseball games are long. They can last from 3 to 4 hours, and most of the game goes by quietly, although suddenly there are thrilling plays that get the fans pumped up.
With this length, do the matches become boring? It depends on how much of a baseball fan you are. If you like it a lot you will enjoy it because you will understand the plays, and if you are not a baseball expert, you will enjoy it too, since the atmosphere is lively and it is easy to get into the dynamic.
You can take selfies, make videos of the event and comment on the plays while eating tacos or hot dogs. In my experience, going to baseball is entertaining and you will spend a day doing something different during your trip. It's worth it!
Game day tips
When to go to the stadium?
In New York, MLB days are special. You can feel it in the atmosphere and there is more hustle and bustle in the streets than usual in the Big Apple. My advice is not to arrive too early, but at least an hour in advance to go to the team store, find the seats or buy some snacks. You will see how the stadium fills up little by little and how it roars when the players take the field.
- How to get to Yankee Stadium in the Bronx. The easiest way to get to Yankee Stadium is to use the subway. Specifically the 161st stop (line 4) will leave you next to the stadium. You have all the information to use the New York subway in this article, but don't worry; you can't get lost.
- How to get to the Mets stadium in Queens. Subway line 7 has a stop right in front of Citi Field (Mets-Willets Point Station), it will be the fastest option considering that, if you are staying in Manhattan, a cab across the bridge to Queens will be very expensive.
Is it possible to eat inside the stadium?
Inside the stadium there are many food and drink stands where you can buy something to snack on while watching the game (hamburgers, hot dogs, nachos, chips, fries...) although the prices may be a little higher than outside.
- However, fans can bring snacks into Yankee Stadium for their own consumption. Whole pieces of fruit such as apples or oranges must be cut into slices or sections. Plastic water bottles of one liter or less are also permitted as long as they are factory sealed.
- Citi Field is accessible with factory-sealed plastic water bottles of 0.59 liters or less. Fans may also bring a juice box for children that is closed and has soft sides. Both products must not be frozen.
Can backpacks or cameras be brought in?
- According to Yankee Stadium policy, backpacks or bags larger than 40.64 cm x 40.64 cm x 20.32 cm may not be brought into the stadium. Hard bags are not allowed in the stadium. Neither are video cameras or other equipment designed for the sole purpose of recording video and/or audio, nor selfie sticks, tripods or other professional camera equipment.
- Regarding Citi Field, its policy states that for security reasons backpacks are prohibited inside the venue. However, purses, tote bags, diaper bags or small coolers that do not exceed 40.64 cm x 40.64 cm x 20.32 cm may be carried. Fully transparent backpacks without hidden interior pockets are also permitted.
Useful information for watching MLB
What date should I choose to watch a baseball game in New York?
Between April and October there are baseball games in New York almost every day. If you travel to New York in the summer, between May and September, watching a game in the afternoon can be a good plan. In any case, check the schedule of your favorite team to decide the best time to enjoy this experience and remember that on weekends the games are usually a little more expensive.
Do kids pay admission?
MLB is a very family-friendly show, so it's common to see parents bring their children to games. To the question of whether children pay admission to baseball, the truth is that it depends on the team.
- For example, the New York Yankees ' access policy regarding children says that any child who is 3 years old or younger and less than 30″ (76 cm) tall does not need a ticket but must sit on an adult's lap during the game so as not to obstruct the view of other spectators.
- For their part, the New York Mets note in their access policy that children who are 32" (81 cm) or taller will need their own ticket. Children under 32" can get in for free but must sit on an adult's lap during the event.
In what format will I receive my tickets?
Yankees and Mets tickets are mobile tickets so to access the event they must be displayed on your cell phone and do not need to be printed. Your phone is your ticket!
I don't have an Internet connection in New York! How do I access the tickets?
In the event that you do not have an Internet connection during your trip to New York, you can always use the Internet connection at the apartment or hotel where you are staying and open your tickets there so that they are ready on your phone when you arrive at the stadium. You can also go to any public establishment such as a restaurant or coffee shop near the venue as they have free WiFi for customers.
Can I visit Yankee Stadium even if there is no game?
Indeed! Yankee Stadium is an institution in New York City, so there are several ways to visit even if you're traveling to the city during the MLB off-season. Here are some tips on how to visit Yankee Stadium, but let me tell you that there are several tours that will take you to see the stands and museum, and the facility also has a Hard Rock Café where you can go to enjoy an all-American experience.
Is the Yankee Stadium area safe?
The answer is yes. The area where Yankee Stadium is located is safe and the atmosphere is very festive in the surrounding area, so you can enjoy the event without any worries.
What happens when there is no baseball season in New York?
After the World Series ends, for the next six months until the end of March, there are no baseball games in New York. However, if you want to attend a sporting event during your vacation in the city I recommend other options such as:
- NBA: The season runs from early October through June with the NBA Finals. In New York you can watch the New York Knicks and the Brooklyn Nets. In this post I tell you in detail how to buy tickets to watch NBA games in New York.
- NHL: The ice hockey season runs from October to April. You can see the New York Rangers and the New York Islanders play in the Big Apple.
- NFL: The soccer season runs from early September to early February with the Super Bowl. In New York you can watch the New York Giants and the New York Jets.