Baseball is culture and religion for Americans. And the Yankees are an icon of the sport and one of the most popular teams in the Major Baseball League (MLB). Founded in 1901, they have already won the World Series 27 times! and every game they play arouses the passion of the crowds.
Yankee Stadium, located in the Bronx, is the place where the magic happens. I recommend you to visit it either watching a game if it coincides with the season or with a guided tour. You will be able to feel firsthand and for a little while the excitement of being a New York fan.
See Yankee Stadium at its best with a Yankees MLB game
Yankee Stadium seats more than 47,000 spectators and is the most expensive stadium ever built in baseball history. In addition to Yankees games, it is also home to the New York City Football Club, which competes in Major League Soccer**(MLS**).
But it is true that the main protagonists are the Yankees, as baseball is historically the quintessential American sport.
When MLB is played so you can watch the Yankees
You will only be able to see world-class baseball if you travel to New York between April and October. I recommend that you check the teams' schedules before you travel, as they often play friendly games during the rest of the year. The baseball season has three main phases:
- Regular season: April through early October. During this time you can watch the Yankees play and, if you are lucky, attend the derby with the Mets (their archrival New York team) or against the Boston Red Sox, another great classic.
- The playoffs (postseason games): from the end of September to the end of October.
- The finals: late October to early November. This is where the MLB champion will emerge.
What you need to know about baseball if you're going to Yankee Stadium
Getting tickets at a good price is usually not difficult if you plan ahead, but there are a few things to keep in mind, such as the best place to choose your seat, the schedule and what to expect on game day. I leave here a guide on how to go to a baseball game in New York to solve all your doubts.
The stadium occupancy is usually very high, so I recommend you to buy your ticket in advance. Also, it is good to go to the stadium at least an hour before the game starts, so you can find your seat without rushing and enjoy watching the stadium fill up and become lively. Take some drinks and food or snacks with you, as buying food at the stadium itself is usually expensive.
How much do Yankees tickets cost?
If you are lucky enough to be in New York during the baseball league season, you have a good chance of seeing the Yankees. There are many games played during the league and every few days, so it is usually easy to get tickets (much easier than for the NBA, for example).
How do I get tickets?
You can secure your Yankees tickets in advance online at Hellotickets. You can also buy them at the box office directly on the day of the game, but the stadium is quite far from downtown and you run the risk of not getting in. So my recommendation, without hesitation, is to buy your ticket in advance.
Ticket prices to see the Yankees tend to vary a lot depending on the date and the team they are playing, as well as the location of your seat and how close you are to the pitcher.
To give you an idea, the cheapest ticket at the top of the stadium and for any game, can cost about 15 €. But for the same game, a ticket closer to the field can cost around 85 € and one in the VIP areas, from 250 € to 450 €. If instead the game you want to see is a classic against the Boston Red Sox, the cheapest tickets start at around 130 €.
Children under 3 years old or who are less than 76 cm tall, get in for free.
Take a tour to see the ins and outs of Yankee Stadium from the inside
If you want to get the full experience of a true Yankees fan, in addition to seeing a live game, you can get an in-depth look at the stadium through a guided tour.
- "Classic" tour to get to know Yankee Stadium from the inside: This is the most typical tour you can take to get to know Yankee Stadium. In it you can visit with a specialized guide, both the stadium facilities and the two museums it houses: the Yankee Museum and Monument Park.
- Classic" Tour with lunch at Hard Rock Café: This option includes as part of the tour a meal at the Hard Rock Café Yankee Stadium. You will be given a voucher that you can redeem at the restaurant before or after your visit.
- Pre-Game Tour to watch the Yankees practice before the game: This option is excellent for fans who already have a ticket to the game, because it includes exclusive access to batting practice before the game. On this tour you will also visit the Yankees Museum and Monument Park, but you will finish the tour in Section 105 of the stadium to see the players practicing before the game.
- Hands in History" Tour to get your hands on the Yankees: This tour is designed especially for baseball and Yankees fans. It is an exclusive access to the Yankees Museum where you will be able to touch historical articles and artifacts of the team. Bats, balls, gloves, jerseys, World Series rings and mythical objects.
- Free tour of Yankee Stadium with the New York Pass: One of the most recommended options for walking around New York is to buy a tourist card. If you want to visit Yankee Stadium, I advise you to get the New York Pass, which also includes the "Classic" tour of Yankee Stadium, with access to the Yankee Museum and Monument Park.
Tour the outside of Yankee Stadium and learn about its history with the New York Contrasts tour
The Contrasts tour is one of the most popular excursions to tour New York and get a glimpse of what's beyond Manhattan and Central Park.
This tour is usually done by bus, accompanied by a professional guide and goes through four of the five boroughs of New York: Manhattan, the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn (Staten Island is left out).
One of the first stops is in the **Bronx **and that's where Yankee Stadium is located. You will be able to see it from the outside and take pictures, but you will not have access to it. However, it is a good option if you are still hesitating to book the tour or go to see a baseball game.
What you should know about the Contrasts tour:
- Duration: 5 hours approximately.
- Departure time: 8 AM.
- Departure and return points: Hotel Pennsylvania (401 7th Ave), Hotel Millennium Broadway (145 W 44th St), Hotel Manhattan (Times Square, 790 7th Ave).
- Price: from 101 €.
A bird's eye view of Yankee Stadium on a helicopter tour
If you want a different, fun and adrenaline-filled experience, you can also see Yankee Stadium from the air!
You can book a helicopter tour of New York City, where you will see all the city's points of interest from a breathtaking view.
With the latest generation of Bell 407 helicopters, if you don't have vertigo, you will fly over the Hudson River and from there you will be able to appreciate the magnitude of the Big Apple from a bird's eye view.
Visit Yankee Stadium from the outside arriving on your own
If you want to visit this temple of New York sports and get your photo taken, you can also do it on your own. It is very easy, since you can do it by subway or cab. And while you're at it, you can tour the Bronx and the area around the stadium.
- Lines 4 B and D.
- Stadium stop: 161st Street Yankee Stadium (about 100 m from the entrance).
- From downtown Manhattan it takes about 30 minutes.
- Single ticket price: €2.60 or one-week Metrocard at €28.50.
Another option, more comfortable and door to door, but you should contemplate from downtown a price of approximately 30 € one way and 30 € back.
Have a good hamburger at the Hard Rock Café at Yankee Stadium
If there's one thing New York never lacks in burgers, it's good burgers. And one of the most typical American places to enjoy them is the Hard Rock Café. As it could not be otherwise, at Gate 6 of Yankee Stadium there is one, where sports and food make a perfect duo. So another way to get to know the stadium a little closer if you do not want to pay admission is enjoying a meal at the Hard Rock Café.
There you can enter whether or not you have a ticket to the stadium, 365 days a year, from 11:00 to 17:00 hours. And, of course, if it coincides with a Yankees or New York City Football game day, you can watch it on one of their 15 huge screens.
You got hungry, right? Here is their menu, so you can start to feel the excitement of baseball, soccer and a good American burger.