In New York there are always many things to see and do and even more in summer: in July there are many festivities and events to mark on the calendar.
1. Enjoy the sky illuminated by fireworks on July 4th
What is one of the most important holidays in New York (and also throughout the United States)? On July 4th, Americans celebrate their independence. On that day, parades are held, the national anthem is played in many places and the night sky is illuminated by fireworks.
The event is known as "Macy's 4th of July Fireworks" and fireworks professionals are stationed on 5 barges. From these points they launch approximately 25,000 projectiles (sometimes many more).
The event is so special for Americans that it is broadcasted by a large number of news programs. On this occasion, the sky is illuminated by fireworks of all colors, millions of people enjoy it and record the moment in pictures and videos. Why don't you join in?
From where to enjoy them
The places from which the spectacle is clearly seen are:
- FDR Expressway, 23rd, 34th and 42nd Streets for Manhattan.
- Bushwick Inlet Park, Domino Park, East River State Park and Transmitter Park for Brooklyn
- Gantry Plaza State Park for Queens
- Taking one of the Hudson River Cruises in New York City
Important Macy's Fireworks Information
- When: 4th of July, starts around 9pm until 10pm
- Price: it's a free public event.
- For more information: Macy's Twitter.
2. Find out who eats the most Hot Dogs in the Nathan's Famous contest
Nathan's Famous is a famous New York restaurant located in Coney Island. One of the reasons why it is so well known is that there is a competition there for who eats the most Hot Dogs in the shortest time.
This is one of the ways New Yorkers celebrate the 4th of July. The contest started in 1972 and thousands of people have participated over the years. As for the time that is set for the competition it is 10 minutes.
Additional information about the contest
- Where: Nathan's Famous, Coney Island.
- When: July 4.
- Price: Free admission to watch the contest. Inside you can buy fast food.
- For more information: Restaurant website.
3. Summer solstice in Manhattan: the sun aligns with the streets at the Manhattanhenge
A unique event that you can't miss if you visit New York on the date it happens is the "Manhattanhenge". Why is it so special and what does it consist of? It happens a few days a year, when the setting sun aligns perfectly with the streets of Manhattan, hiding between its skyscrapers creating an incredible optical effect.
The sunlight creates an impressive glow that reflects off Manhattan's steel and glass elements. The north and south are illuminated by this incredible event, many people stop to appreciate it and above all, to take pictures.
Where to enjoy it from
In July, the Manhattanhenge coincides with the break of the Baseball All-Star Games. This incredible sunset can be seen from 14th, 23rd, 34th, 42nd and 57th streets.
Important information about the Manhattanhenge
- Where: Manhattan's East and West Main Avenues, across the Hudson River (New Jersey high places), Tudor City Overpass and Hunter's Point South Park.
- When: July 12.
- Price: natural event, so it's free.
- For more information: visit the Natural History Museum's website.
4. Have fun at the Summerstage NY
One of the festivals that take place in New York in July is the Summerstage, as its name suggests, you can attend it throughout the summer. In it, musical events, dance and more are planned in different parks of the city, mainly in Central Park.
In total, more than 100 shows are performed, while listening to music or watching a dance performance, it is possible to buy food. Near the Summerstage area, different menus and drinks are sold for attendees to enjoy the occasion even more.
Important information about the Summerstage
- Where: New York City parks, especially Rumsey Playfield in Central Park.
- When: All summer
- Price: Free admission
- For more information: Central Park's website
5. The best of music and art at MoMA PS1 Warm Up Party
MoMA is the Museum of Modern Art in New York and every summer it plans a show that is one of the most anticipated by New Yorkers. You'll find concerts of different musical genres and performances of art pieces by emerging artists.
In this party/concert can go NY citizens, from other cities and even tourists. So you are welcome if you are visiting the Big Apple in July. The event is also held during the month of August.
Important information about MoMA PS1 Warm Up Party
- Where: Backyard of the Museum of Modern Art in New York (Between 22nd and 25th Avenues, Long Island, Queens).
- When: Every Saturday in July and August from 8 pm.
- Price: Free.
- For more information: Warm Up section of the MoMA website.
6. Celebrate music at Panorama Music Festival
In New York in July there are many music festivals, ranging from classical music to electronic music. This time, I'm talking about the Panorama Music Festival that takes place in Randall's Island Park in one of the last weeks of July.
Bringing together art, music and technology, the festival lasts several days. The artists that perform are dedicated to various genres, so that people with different musical tastes are encouraged to attend.
Important information about the Panorama Music Festival
- Where: Randall's Island Park.
- When: last weeks of July.
- Price: tickets from 70 €.
- For more information: Randall's Island Park website.
7. Attend a variety of shows at Lincoln Center Out of Doors
Lincoln Center Out of Doors is a festival that begins in late July and runs through mid-August. It is one of the most entertaining activities you have the opportunity to participate in New York in July.
It features performances for all tastes: musical genres of different types, dances and even opera singers. The event takes place outdoors in a widely recognized establishment in the Big Apple.
Important information about Out of Doors
- Where: At Lincoln Center (between Amsterdam and Columbus Avenues).
- When: Last weeks of July.
- Price: Free tickets.
- For more information: Lincoln Center website.
8. Listen to a prestigious orchestra at the NY Philharmonic Concerts
Throughout the summer, the New York Philharmonic Orchestra performs concerts in different parks of the city. In them you have the opportunity to listen to the wonderful music of one of the most famous orchestras in the world.
This tour of New York's parks is supported by public funds and sponsors. Among the institutions that give their support are the City Council itself, the New York State Council on the Arts and the Department of Cultural Affairs of the City of New York.
Whether there are festivals or not, one thing you should do is take advantage of the good weather in July to get to know the best parks in NY.
Important information about the Philharmonic's Concerts in the Parks
- Where: New York parks.
- When: during the summer.
- Price: free admission.
- For more information: New York Philharmonic Orchestra website.
9. Wear pink and attend the Pinknic
No, I didn't make a mistake when I wrote, I meant to write "Pinknic", this is an activity that takes place in New York. Although the date changes every year, in many occasions it has taken place in the month of July. What does this event consist of?
Attendees wear pink clothing, sit on pink blankets and their drinks are pink. In this massive event there are many activities, including concerts. It should be noted that to enter the Pinknic you must be 21 years of age or older.
Important information about the Pinknic
- Where: The location is announced each year, usually at Randall's Island Park or Governors Island.
- When: In the summer.
- Price: ticket prices are published when the event is announced.
- For more information: Pinknic website.
10. Get a taste of independent fashion at Fashion on the Hudson
Fashion on the Hudson are fashion shows that, most of the time, take place in mid-July. They present the collections of independent designers from the city and even from other places. Among the types of clothing you can see at the event are haute couture, underwear, plus-size fashions and ready-to-wear collections.
To attend fashion shows it is necessary to have an invitation from the designers, but at Fashion on the Hudson it is not necessary. Access is free, and anyone can attend to see the creations of the most outstanding independent designers.
Important information about Fashion on the Hudson
- Where: Upper East Side overlooking the Hudson River.
- When: exact dates are announced each year.
- Price: free admission.
- For more information: Fashion on the Hudson website.
What is the weather like in New York in July?
Many consider July to be the hottest month of the summer and it is not because the temperatures are too high, but because of the humidity. Even though the temperature on many days does not reach 29°C (86°F) (maximum temperature), the wind chill can exceed 30°C (86°F).
The minimum temperature for this month is 20°C, usually decreasing to that point during the nights. Other characteristics of the New York theme in July are:
The days are longer and on average, there are 8 days when it is likely to rain, 3 of these precipitations become significant.
Do many people visit NY during July?
Summer is one of the two seasons when most tourists come to New York City. Being in the middle of summer, many of them opt for outdoor activities, as they are the ones that predominate on hot days.
Despite the large number of tourists in the city, you will not have the feeling that the places are very crowded. Remember that in NY there are many activities and not all tourists attend the same ones.
Do prices increase or decrease during this month?
As it is a high season, that is, when there are many tourists, it is normal for prices to increase. During the first weeks of July, prices go up and start to go down gradually at the end of the month.
Prices will not be excessively high, but they will be higher compared to months such as September and October.
What to bring on my trip to New York in July?
When choosing what to pack, keep in mind that it will be summer, so the heat will prevail. Therefore, I encourage you to bring the following for your trip to NY in July:
- Summer clothes, i.e. cool
- Breathable and comfortable shoes
- Items to protect you from the sun, such as hats, caps and sunglasses
- Umbrellas to use when the sun is intense and if it rains during your stay in the city.
- Some clothes to keep you warm in case of rain or when you enter places with air conditioners
- Sarong or towel if you plan to go to an event in a park or just choose one to hang out on the lawn
What to do if it rains during July in NY?
As I said before, rains are not very frequent in July, but there is a chance of them. What to do if it rains in New York during your stay? **My recommendations are as follows:
- Coffee shops are an excellent option, there is delicious food and drinks and you can stay in them until the rain subsides.
- Museums will be open, so I encourage you to check out the best museums in New York and think about one that you can go to if it rains.
- Broadway musicals are very varied, there are options for everyone. Check out the best Broadway musicals here.