Wembley Stadium is a London sports venue built in 1923. Its facilities have served to host important matches not only soccer, but also rugby, boxing, American soccer, among other disciplines. In fact, since 1986 it has been the stage for musical legends such as Queen, Michael Jackson, Madonna, The Killers, among others.
If you do not know what to see and do in London during your stay in the city and you are a soccer enthusiast, then visiting Wembley Stadium is a great option. You can tour this iconic place inside, to know its pitch, the museum exhibits, among other spaces; outside, and appreciate its facade and surroundings; and you could even attend a game of the FA Cup final. Below, I'll tell you more.
1. Get to know Wembley Stadium in its maximum splendor vibrating with a match of the FA Cup Final
Wembley Stadium, since 1923, has witnessed the FA Cup Final. This is a legendary annual English soccer competition, considered one of the longest-running tournaments of its kind in the sporting world.
You can enjoy the eagerly awaited match if you travel to London in May (the last week) or if you are in the city of London in June (first week). And it is during these months that the final usually takes place after 14 knockout rounds.
During the final match of the FA Cup you will see a real fight of titans on the field of play at Wembley Stadium. Two teams of eleven players each will give their best to dominate the ball for 90 minutes and score as many goals as possible in the opponent's goal.
- Price: the cost of the ticket to watch the FA Cup Final is from 575€ per person. You can purchase tickets through the official website of Wembley Stadium.
- Duration: the match usually lasts approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes. Keep in mind that, although the playing time is 90 minutes divided into two halves of 45 minutes, the players have a break of 15 minutes. In addition, extra playing time and, why not, some exciting penalty kicks could be added to this duration.
- Advantages: not only will you see Wembley Stadium vibrate with the legendary FA Cup Final. You'll also enjoy stunning panoramas of the stadium's interior from your seat as you soak up the lively atmosphere of celebration.
2. Take a tour to see the nooks and crannies of Wembley Stadium from the inside
Exploring the inside of Wembley Stadium is a must-do experience to incorporate into your itinerary of things to see and do in London in a day or more, especially if you have a passion for soccer. You can learn about the history of this important sports venue, hear some anecdotes and be amazed by its splendor.
It is a guided tour that will allow you to discover all the nooks and crannies of the largest stadium in the UK. In addition, you will see a series of exhibits with some hidden treasures preserved over the years, in what could be one of the best soccer museums in London.
Tour inside the stadium
Once you are at Wembley Stadium, the stadium host will take you around the imposing pitch , with a wide view of the grandstand seating. You will have the opportunity to sit in one of the substitutes' chairs and walk through the players' tunnel. You will also visit the presidential box, the locker room and the press room.
For a few minutes you will feel like a player or coach of a national team. Undoubtedly, an experience that both you and the little ones at home will enjoy, making it ideal if you are traveling to London with children.
Visit to the museum area
In addition, this tour gives you access to the museum area. There, you will see some exhibits with a series of soccer jewels: the commemorative plaque corresponding to the 48 Olympics, trophies, the World Cup 66 crossbar, shirts of the English national team and some teams of the city. You will also see a photographic chronology and some objects describing the history of the stadium.
Information of interest
- Price: this tour of Wembley Stadium is available from 27 ¤ per person and you can purchase tickets on the official website of this sporting temple.
- Duration: the guided tour lasts approximately one hour and a half.
- Advantages: you can discover everything that hides inside Wembley Stadium with the help of a professional guide.
- Disadvantages: cash is not accepted at the stadium, so you will have to take your precautions.
Take the Wembley Stadium tour for free with the London Pass
The Wembley Stadium tour is another activity that stands out among the 31 destinations offered by the best tourist card in London. This is a very convenient option during your stay in the city, which will allow you to save time and money (up to 35% of the total value of the ticket).
To purchase this tourist card, you must access the official website of London Pass, select the mode of your convenience between a pass of 3, 4, 5 or 7 attractions selected from a list of 31 destinations, among which stands out the Wembley Stadium. Then, you will have to make the payment electronically and, immediately, you will get a QR code.
When you arrive at Wembley Stadium you will only have to go directly to the ticket office area and scan the QR code. There is no need to queue or pay extra to enjoy a tour inside the stadium and a digital guide.
- Price: the price of the day pass that includes among its options the tour of Wembley Stadium starts at 84 € (adults) and 54 € (children under 15 years). Similarly, there are other passes for more than two days that you can check at the time of purchase.
- Advantages: with London Pass you not only save time and money, you will also get a discount of up to 15% on the products you want to buy when visiting the stadium store.
3. Tour the outside of Wembley Stadium and learn about its history with the London Contrasts Tour
During your stay you will have the opportunity to enjoy the best tours and excursions in London, one of them being the London Contrasts Tour. You will be able to discover a series of unmissable destinations in the company of a local guide, who will tell you the history of each one of them.
This is a personalized walking experience, meaning that the itinerary is set by you. You will have the opportunity to decide which specific places you want to visit. Such is the case of the iconic Wembley Stadium with its amazing architecture and interesting sporting history, Borough Market, Westminster Abbey, Soho, London Eye, among others.
Regarding Wembley Stadium, you will travel with the guide on board the subway, as it is a bit far from the city center. Upon arrival, you will walk in front of its facade crowned by a huge arch (134 meters high by seven meters in diameter). You will be able to take incredible photographs and learn a series of anecdotes about its construction and soccer history, which are definitely worth listening to carefully.
Information of interest
- Price: the price of the personalized tour that will allow you to see the outside of Wembley Stadium and other relevant points of the city starts at 56€ per person.
- Duration: the guided activity usually lasts from two to six hours.
- Advantages: you will be amazed by the architectural beauty of Wembley Stadium and you will discover some curiosities about its history.
- Disadvantages: if you wish to access the inside of Wembley Stadium or another visited destination, you will have to pay separately the respective entrance fee.
4. Wembley Stadium, a bird's eye view on a helicopter tour
Seeing Wembley Stadium from a bird 's eye view is a unique experience, which will give you a privileged panoramic view of this important sporting venue and the best monuments of London. Therefore, if you have the opportunity you should not hesitate to incorporate this activity in your itinerary.
The adventure begins at the heliport in the London neighborhood of Battersea, right on the banks of the River Thames. There, the pilot will teach you the basic safety rules for flying in a helicopter, and then you will board to start flying over the city.
During the tour through the sky of London you will take a look at the London Eye, Tower Bridge, the Parliament Building, among other destinations in the central area. Gradually you will approach Wembley Stadium, which stands out due to its monumental structure designed by Norman Foster.
You will be amazed with the view obtained from the field of play that combines with the red seats of the grandstand. In addition, you can't miss the striking 134-meter-high arch, which crowns this 105 x 68-meter sports venue.
Information of interest
- Price: generally, the cost of the panoramic helicopter tour starts at 150€ per person.
- Duration: the helicopter experience over the city of London lasts approximately 20 minutes.
- Advantages: you will get a privileged view from the heights of Wemberly Stadium and other London attractions.
5. Visit it from the outside by getting there on your own
If you're thinking of discovering London neighborhood by neighborhood on your own, then Wembley, in the northeast of the city, is a must-see. You can visit the outside of its historic stadium for free and explore the surrounding area.
Just outside Wembley Stadium located in London HA9 0WS, United Kingdom, you will find the iconic statue of English footballer Bobby Moore just outside the entrance. In addition, you will be amazed with the facade and the monumental arch, which rises crowning the roof of the sports venue.
In fact, this scene takes on a greater charm after sunset, thanks to the lighting system of colored lights on the building. Undoubtedly, an ideal place to incorporate into a panoramic tour of London at night.
How to get to Wembley Stadium by yourself
To get to this stadium you have several means of public transport, as it is a bit far from the center of London.
- Subway: by taking the Jubilee and Metropolitan lines to Wembley Park Station. The journey takes about 35 minutes and costs about 5€.
- Train: you will depart from King's Cross St Pancras station to Wembley Park Stadium station, on a route of about 20 minutes for an average cost of €8.
- Bus: line 18, 83, 92 and 224 from Paddington station to Wembley station. It has an approximate duration of 46 minutes and a cost of € 2.
Around the stadium
If you want to take advantage of your stay in the Wembley district of London you can also enjoy other places of interest. For example, some of them are:
- The Play Park about six minutes away from the stadium. This is a lively children's playground with lots of games.
- The London Designer Outlet Mall, where you can eat, drink and do some shopping. This is no more than an eight-minute walk in the direction of Pacific Crest.
Try the food and drink offerings at Wembley Stadium
During your visit to Wembley Stadium you won't have to worry if you're hungry, as there are a number of restaurants, bars and kiosks within the stadium grounds, all of which offer a wide range of food and beverages. All of them, with a wide range of drinks and food.
Once you are inside the stadium you can freely access the Bar 1965 and Gold Bar West, which serve beer, cocktails and snacks. There are also the draught bars and Bottle Bars, which are express bars with bottled beer, hot and cold drinks, soft drinks, handmade sweets and much more.
Regarding restaurants and food kiosks at Wembley Stadium, you can eat at Wicks Manor Sausages, a place of tradition since 2013, taste the British burgers with chips and sides of Burger & Chips, among others. In fact, with so many options, you might as well take advantage of a quick food tour of your own.
Practical information for visiting Wembley Stadium
- Address and directions: the stadium is located in the Wembley district, HA9 0WS London, United Kingdom. To get there, you have several public transport options (train, subway and bus). In addition, you can travel by cab, Uber or private car.
- Access by tourist bus: unfortunately the route of the best tourist buses in London does not have any stop near Wembley Stadium.
- Opening hours: the stadium is open daily from 9:30 am to 6:00 pm. However, you can only access through a tour, whose schedule is from 10:00 to 16:00 hours, the last entrance being approximately one hour before the closing time established for the tours.
- Ticket prices: the ticket to access the stadium tour costs approximately 24 € per adult, about 17 € per child, about 65 € for families and free for children under 5 years.
- How to purchase tickets for the tour, matches and concerts: tickets can be purchased at the stadium ticket office or online at the stadium's website.