The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) is one of those essential visits when visiting New York. In this post you will find the main points you need to know for your visit, but now it's time to delve even deeper into information on all prices, possible discounts and free tickets.
Thus, you will be aware of all the details to save a few euros and, thus, you can enjoy more willingly this temple of modern art, whatever the budget you have.
Visit MoMA with free audio guide
Visit the Museum of Modern Art in New York, without waiting in line. Visit the special exhibitions and admire the magnificent works of great artists such as Van Gogh, Picasso or Andy Warhol.
This price may be altered if it is weekend, in high season or depending on demand. But it is the best option since MoMA is one of the most important museums in the world and receives thousands of visitors daily.
Besides not having to wait in line, this ticket includes a free audio guide and an additional entrance to MoMA PS1, which is the museum's contemporary art center on Long Island. You can visit this center during the 14 days following your visit to MoMA.
Recommended if... you do not want to leave out of your itinerary this wonderful visit to the world of modern art and its best exponents. Nothing better and more comfortable than ensuring access to one of the most important and visited museums in New York.
MoMA ticket prices
Buying tickets for the MoMa in Hellotickets has an approximate price of 20 euros and is a perfect option if you want to avoid wasting time at the box office. Something you won't regret, because the MoMa's collection includes almost 200,000 pieces and every minute is gold!
Ticket prices at the box office
- Admission for adults: From 21€ ($25).
- Adults over 65 (ID required): From 15€ ($18).
- Visitors with disabilities: From 15€ ($18).
- Caregiver accompanying a visitor with a disability: Free admission.
- Students (ID required): From 12€ ($14).
- Children under 16: Free admission.
- MoMA members: Free admission.
What's included in the MoMa tickets
Included with your MoMa ticket:
- Freeaudio guide.
- Films and gallerytalks.
- Admission to the Museum of Contemporary Art PS1, Long Island City's contemporary art center, for up to 14 days after your visit. Specifically, admission to MoMA PS1 must be scheduled in advance and space is limited.
Save on MoMa tickets with one of the city's sightseeing passes
Tickets to the MoMa are included in certain tourist passes such as the New York Pass, the Sightseeing Pass and the Explorer Pass.
- Explorer Pass: Offers free access to 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 10 attractions, including MoMA. Depending on the number of days for which you purchase it, the pass will have a different cost.
- The New York Pass: Allows free access to more than 10 attractions including MoMA, plus discounts on tickets to restaurants, stores and Broadway shows for a specific number of days. The higher the number of days, the higher the cost of the tourist card.
- The Sightseeing Pass: This card allows you to choose from more than 150 attractions and offers including the MoMa, as well as get a sightseeing bus ticket that matches the duration of your pass. Likewise, the longer the number of days, the higher the cost.
In addition, there are other tourist cards that offer discounts on entry to MoMa: FreeStyle Pass (40% discount) and New York C3 CityPASS (30% savings).
If you have doubts about which pass to choose or even if it is really profitable or not, do not hesitate to visit the post on the comparison of tourist cards in New York where I break down all the details so you do not have any doubts about what to do.
Free admission to the MoMa
MoMa offers free admission for certain segments of the population. Here are all the details:
- MoMa members and partners: Members and partners will enjoy free and unlimited access to MoMA, subject to capacity restrictions. Tickets must be reserved in advance, indicating the time of access. And on Monday mornings from 10:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., access to the museum is limited to members, so that they can comfortably visit the collection.
- Student or artist groups and associations
- Schools and universities, including teaching staff
- Children under 16 years of age
- Staff of other museums, the American Association of Museums (AAM) and the International Council of Museums (ICOM)
- Government employees, United Nations, active U.S. Army, and military families with dependents' cards: free admission.
Information on all groups is available here.
UNIQLO Free Friday Nights
Visitors could enjoy UNIQLO Free Friday Nights every Friday until before COVID-19, which consisted in opening MoMa free of charge from 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm on Fridays. This service has been suspended for the time being, but, even so, it is expected to be reactivated very soon.
Discounts in restaurants to which you will have access when you buy your MoMa ticket
The restaurants where you will get a discount when you present your MoMa ticket are as follows:
- Bengal Tiger: 10% discount on dinner on the day of ticket purchase.
- Bill's Bar & Burger: 10% discount on the bill.
- Fogo de Chãov: 10% discount on food eaten (does not include drink and is not valid during happy hour).
- II Corso: 10% discount on a main course on the day of the date of purchase of the ticket.
- Il Gattopardo: 10% discount.
- La Esquina Midtown: 15% off.
- MakiMaki Sushi: 10% discount.
- Shake Shack: 10% discount.
- Side Door: 10% off.
- Taco Dumbo: 20% off.
Parking discounts available with your MoMa ticket
- ICON Parking, 1330 Sixth Avenue:: An additional fee starting at $8 ($10) will apply to oversize vehicles at the established rates listed below. Tickets must be validated in the MoMa lobby.
- The 1345 Garage, 101-41 W.54 St:: The 1345 Garage, 101-41 W.54 St: An additional fee starting at $7 ($9) will apply to oversize vehicles at the prices listed below. Tickets must be validated at the MoMa lobby.
You already have all the information about tickets and discounts. Still, if you want more information, you can read our post about MoMa tickets.
And if when you have finished the visit you are not sure where to continue your itinerary through the city of New York, do not hesitate to visit our New York City Guide.