Heathrow Airport (LHR), the most important airport not only in London but also in the United Kingdom, is located just 24 kilometers west of the city.
The best transfers between Heathrow airport and the center of London
The most comfortable service to get from door to door from Heathrow airport to your hotel is the private transfer service (you will have the vehicle for you and your companions) or the shared transfer (with maximum capacity for up to 15 travelers).
Shared transfer between Heathrow airport and London city center
This private transfer service in a shared vehicle between Heathrow and central London is the most comfortable of all, as a driver will be waiting for you at any time upon your arrival at Heathrow airport and will transfer you to the door of your accommodation, carrying also your luggage. This service is available from all London airports, so it is important that you specify that you are arriving at Heathrow airport.
- The price: Its price is a little higher than transferring from the airport by subway or bus, approximately 20 euros each way and person, but it is cheaper than the airport express train. In addition, sharing the ride with more travelers makes it more affordable.
- Luggage: As it is a shared vehicle, each traveler is only allowed to bring one large suitcase and one carry-on bag. If you are traveling with more or oversized luggage, you must inform us of this when booking the service as it may incur additional fees.
- Return transfer from your hotel in London to Heathrow airport: The carpooling service for transfers between London and Heathrow is practically the same there and back and you can reach your destination in central London in just 30 minutes (depending on traffic it can be 60 min) and making no more than 3 stops along the way.
- Interesting details of the shared transfers: When you book this transfer you will receive an immediate confirmation and your ticket in electronic format. Moreover, the drivers speak Spanish, English and Portuguese, so you will find it very easy to communicate with them. And very important from the moment your flight lands, the assigned driver will give you a waiting time of up to 60 minutes for you to disembark and pick up your luggage. Regarding the duration of the transfer, it will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions.
- What is included in the shared private car transfer service between Heathrow and London: This transfer service does not include transportation in minivan or air-conditioned car, professional driver and ticket on your mobile device.
- What is not included in the private car transfer service between Heathrow and London: This transfer does not include food and beverages, tips and excess baggage charges (if applicable).
- Heathrow toLondon shared private car transfer times: This service is available every day of the year, Monday to Sunday, from 01:00 to 23:30.
- If you hire a transfer service from your hotel to the airport, please note that there may be traffic, so add a reasonable margin of time.
Private transfer between Heathrow airport and London city center
This is definitely the fastest and most comfortable way to get to your accommodation from Heathrow. As with the shared transfer, a driver will be waiting for you (you and your companion/s) at the airport upon arrival, but in this case, you will be on your way to your accommodation without having to make any previous stops because there will be no other travelers in the vehicle.
The price: As it is logical, the private transfer has a higher price than the shared one, but you may even find it more economical if you travel accompanied, since the price is paid per vehicle and not per person.
Duration: The journey time between Heathrow and central London is about half an hour, but considering that you are going straight to your hotel, there will be no interruptions or detours along the way.
Luggage: Having a vehicle exclusively for you, you will have more room to carry bags or backpacks, but keep in mind that it is not a minivan, so if you have doubts because you are carrying very bulky luggage, please let us know via email when booking.
Other ways to get between Heathrow and London
There are also other ways to get to London from Heathrow and vice versa that you may find interesting depending on where you are staying and the comfort you are looking for. Here is a summary of the main ones:
Private or shared transfer
From 20 € approx.
Duration: 30 minutes
Destination: your hotel
Heathrow Express train
Duration: 20 minutes
Destination: Paddington Station
From 10 euros
Duration: 1 hour
Destination: several stops
From 35 euros
From 30 to 60 minutes
How to travel by subway between London and Heathrow airport
The best thing about Heathrow Airport is that it is connected to the London Underground and reaches the city center in about 50 minutes. It is not the fastest way to move between Heathrow and central London, but it is the cheapest (the ticket is about 10 euros).
To go by subway from Heathrow to the center of London you will have to take the Piccadilly Line (navy blue). I recommend that if you choose this means of transport take the opportunity to get an Oyster Card, the card that will give you access to all public transport in London and will help you get around the city in a much more agile and economical way.
The London Underground is not open 24 hours a day: during the week the subway is operational from 5.00 to midnight and on weekends it covers less hours, from 7.00 to 00.00.
How to travel by train between London and Heathrow airport
Getting from Heathrow to central London by train is another way to get around, and while their express train is the fastest of them all, the price is quite high and in my opinion, it doesn't pay off that much unless you are in a real hurry to get to your destination.
Heathrow Express is a fast train that leaves every quarter of an hour from any terminal at Heathrow Airport and you will be in the center of London in just 15 minutes. It operates every day of the week, but if your flight arrives or departs in the early morning it will not be a viable means of transport.
On the other hand, this train can cost even more than a private shuttle service as your ticket costs 27 euros per way and person, 40 euros if purchased round trip. Also, being a direct train, the Heathrow Express only stops at the central Paddington train station so you may have to take a second means of transport from there to get to your hotel or accommodation.
Regular train from Heathrow to Paddington
This regular train takes twice as long as the express, half an hour, and its frequency is also higher, 30 minutes. But you will spend less than on the Heathrow Express, about 12 euros pounds each way per person.
Vicky's Traveller Tip
If you choose the train to return to the airport, look carefully because the destinations of the trains may vary between terminals, even if they are taken on the same track and station.
Traveling by coach between Heathrow Airport and London
Heathrow airport also has bus services to different areas of London and to London Victoria station, as well as a night route when the train service ends.
I would only advise this if you are carrying a lot of luggage and/or traveling at times when you cannot take the tube or train (early morning) and do not want a private shuttle service.
Other options: Uber and cab
Ordering an Uber is another option to get to London from Heathrow. You will be able to get to the city center in a journey that takes 30 to 60 minutes, depending on traffic and time of day. This option is not the cheapest (it usually costs more than 35 euros). But it is true that Uber can be up to 30% cheaper than cabs, whose price from the airport is usually around 50-90 euros approximately.
Transfers from other London airports to the city center
If you haven't booked your flight yet and you are hesitating between landing at one airport or another, I have also written similar articles with all the details to move from each of the airports. I leave them linked here in case you want to take a look before booking your flight:
So what are you going to do when you get there?
If you are one of those who starts organizing the flight and transportation and you still don't know what you will do there or what attractions you will visit, I recommend you to read my travel guides about the city, as they are full of practical tips for you to decide how you want to spend your time during your trip. Here are the most complete ones so you can start organizing your ideas. Have a safe trip!