Visiting the New York Aquarium is a very entertaining plan that you can do during your trip to New York to spend a different day getting into nature and disconnecting for a few moments from the asphalt jungle. Whether with your family or on your own, you will have a great time and learn a lot about the care of the oceans.
It is a very curious place to see because they have recreated the natural habitats of many aquatic species in detail and the result is amazing. Did you know that more than 500 marine species live here? There is a lot to explore inside the aquarium! So don't wait any longer and get your tickets. I'll tell you the most important things you should know.
Discover the underwater fauna and flora
Enjoy the New York Aquarium, cross its impressive 12-meter tunnel and be impressed by the sea lion show.
With this ticket for the New York Aquarium, you will have the opportunity to visit the oldest aquarium in the United States and see the 350 marine species that live inside. Penguins, sharks, sea lions, octopuses, manta rays and many other species... In addition, you can cross its 12-meter tunnel surrounded by water.
This ticket also includes a ticket for the 4D theater, an immersive experience with sensory effects and the sea lion show. In addition, you will have access to all meals and animal interactions, including touch pools and the Playquarium.
Recommended if... you are going to New York as a couple, with your family, children or friends. The Aquarium will ensure you have a great time.
How do I get tickets to the New York Aquarium? What kind of tickets are there?
The first thing you should know if you want to visit the New York Aquarium is that you will have to buy tickets online and in advance of the day of the visit, since the aquarium requires that at the time of purchase all visitors choose a time and date to make the tour.
That is, as happens in the Bronx Zoo you can not enter the New York Aquarium without having purchased a previously scheduled visit. This step is essential as you will not be allowed access to the facilities without having reserved your day and time in advance.
Types of tickets
That said, what types of tickets are available to tour the New York Aquarium?
- Adult (13 years and older): From $24
- Senior (age 65 and over): From $21
- Children (ages 3 to 12): From $19
These tickets are for one-time use only, so if you leave the New York Aquarium and try to go later in the day you will not be allowed to enter due to capacity limitations.
Can I visit the New York Aquarium with a New York City Sightseeing Pass?
That's right! If you plan to visit the New York Aquarium during your stay in the city you won't need to buy the entrance ticket if you have the New York Sightseeing Flex Pass (from 74 ¤ in Hellotickets) or the New York Sightseeing Pass (from 148 ¤ in Hellotickets).
Which pass to choose?
- New York Sightseeing Flex Pass: Perfect for travelers on a tight budget or who have been to New York before and prefer to see just a few sights.
- New York Sightseeing Pass: Ideal for travelers who are visiting New York for the first time and want to get the most out of their trip or for those who like to see the sights on the go without a set sightseeing plan.
If you want to know more about New York tourist cards and all their advantages when exploring a city like this, I advise you to take a look at the post The best New York tourist card as there you will find a detailed analysis of each one.
We compare in the table at a glance the price of tourist passes that allow you to enter the New York Aquarium
- New York Sightseeing Flex Pass
- You will be able to New York Aquarium
- Access to up to 12 attractions
- Duration 60 days
- You will save around 50% when you see 2 attractions per day.
- New York Sightseeing Pass
- You will be able to go to the New York Aquarium
- Access to 100 attractions
- Duration from 1 to 10 days
- You will save around 70% when you see 3 places per day.
Free admission to the New York Aquarium?
Yes, admission is free every Wednesday from 3 p.m. onwards. However, as with the Aquarium Admission tickets, it is also necessary to book your tickets online in advance to visit the New York Aquarium for free. This is because you are also required to choose a time and date to take the tour.
Being free, Wednesdays are very busy days, so if you choose to visit the New York Aquarium on this day, my advice is to choose an early hour to avoid the crowds.
Each visitor can reserve a maximum of 4 tickets on Wednesdays and everyone will need to have their ticket to gain access to the grounds starting at age 3. Only children under 3 years old are admitted free any day of the week to the New York Aquarium.
When is the New York Aquarium open?
The New York Aquarium generally opens at 10 AM every day of the year and closes at different times depending on the season, so check it out at a glance!
- Summer through Labor Day
- 10 AM to 5 PM
- Open every day
From September 8 to October 31
10 AM to 4 PM Monday to Friday
10 AM to 4:30 Weekends and Holidays
- From November 1 to the end of March
- 10 AM to 3:30 PM
- Every day
How much time do you need to see the New York Aquarium?
Normally, visits to the New York Aquarium last from 1 to 2 hours, but once you enter the Aquarium, you can stay as long as you like to see the exhibits and marine shows - there is so much to discover at the New York Aquarium!
On the one hand, you can learn about the life of the different marine creatures that live in the aquarium's tanks and fish tanks (sharks, octopuses, manta rays, sea otters, jellyfish...) and watch them go about their daily lives.
On the other hand, you will have the opportunity to attend cool shows where you can watch the otters feeding or the sea lions doing acrobatics, they are the real stars of the aquarium!
Is it a recommended experience to go to the New York Aquarium with children?
Of course it is! And I would say more, for adults too. In fact, it is one of the plans to do in New York with kids to disconnect a little from the cultural visits or historical tours you do in the city.
The New York Aquarium is full of exhibits that are organized in a fun way and adapted to their age so that the tour of the aquarium does not become boring at any time. Children can get close to nature and learn almost as a game about the importance of taking care of the environment to protect the habitat of all the friendly animals they will meet there.
In addition, it also has great shows with otters or sea lions as protagonists and play areas such as Playquarium where kids can transform themselves into sharks and learn about the underwater world. They will have such a great time at the New York Aquarium seeing so many aquatic creatures up close that it will be an indelible memory of their trip to the city.
What's not to miss at the New York Aquarium?
Inside the New York Aquarium there are many spaces to see but some of the ones you can't miss during your visit are:
- Spineless: In this exhibit you will see some of the most curious invertebrates that populate our oceans and seas such as Pacific octopuses, moon jellyfish, zombie worms or the Japanese spider crab.
- Ocean Wonders, Sharks: Step into a shark-infested aquarium near the Coney Island boardwalk to meet amazing animals such as sharks, sea turtles and manta rays.
- Aquatheater: See sea lions perform difficult acrobatic stunts on stage with their trainers - you'll be able to see them up close and even say hello!
- Sea Cliffs: In this exhibit you will see species that usually live on the rocky coasts, such as seals, black-footed penguins, sea otters and sea lions. They are adorable!
- Glover's Reef: One of my favorites! You will see a great diversity of fish of all colors, shapes and sizes that will leave you with your mouth open. Keep an eye out for piranhas!
Some useful tips for visiting the New York Aquarium
- Don't forget to book your tickets online and in advance to the New York Aquarium. Even if you go on Wednesdays for free. All visitors must have a ticket with a specific date and time to visit.
- Download the aquarium map to your cell phone or print it out to easily find your way around the facility.
- When you arrive at the New York Aquarium, check the Aquarium's website on your cell phone to see all the exhibits and shows available on the day of your visit.
- It is forbidden to feed the aquarium animals or touch the vegetation.
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes during your visit to the aquarium because you will be walking around a lot.
- Do not use your camera flash to take pictures of the animals as you may disturb them and alter their behavior.
How to get to the New York Aquarium?
The New York Aquarium is located in Coney Island (at 602 Surf Avenue Brooklyn). To get there I recommend taking public transportation.
- New York Subway: Take the F or Q line to West 8th Street station in Coney Island. You can also take the N or D lines to the Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue station.
- Bus: Take the B36 to Surf Avenue and West 8th Street or the B68 to Neptune Avenue and West 8th Street. Then walk south on West 8th to Surf Avenue.
Where to eat at the New York Aquarium?
Before going to the New York Aquarium, I recommend having a hearty breakfast or lunch so that you don't get hungry in the middle of your visit. However, if you get the itch once you are there, you don't have to rush out of the Aquarium because there are several places where you can have a drink and recharge your batteries.
Places to eat in the New York Aquarium
- Food Truck: Serves drinks and tasty snacks such as chicken nuggets, burgers, fries and salads. You will find it at the Aquarium Plaza.
- Oceanview Bites: Ideal for a seafood bite overlooking the boardwalk, waterfront and city skyline. It is located on the rooftop above the Ocean Wonders: Sharks! exhibit.
- Oceanside Grill: This is the Aquarium's beachside restaurant. They serve especially seafood. A great place to go after visiting the Aquarium.
And if gastronomy is your thing, I recommend this article on where to eat in New York to continue exploring the culinary delights of the city of skyscrapers.
And if after visiting the Aquarium you still want a similar plan, do not hesitate to go to the Central Park Zoo or the Bronx Zoo. If you are looking for a different plan, read the post what you can do during your trip to New York and discover all the possibilities.