Harlem is a district full of ethnic diversity. An essential visit to return from New York having known all the ins and outs of the city.
And one of the main attractions of this neighborhood is to visit a Baptist church and enjoy a live gospel mass, a show that, in principle, you can only enjoy on Sunday mornings and that you already have some clues in How to go to a Gospel Mass in Harlem.
Even so, there are certain Sundays when tourists are not allowed to enter and the schedules vary depending on the church you go to. Do not stop reading because, below, I leave you all the details for you to live an experience to remember.
Times to attend a gospel service in Harlem
If you are wondering what is the best day to attend a gospel service in Harlem, you should know that most of them take place on Sunday morning.
The sessions vary depending on the church. In fact, there are temples that hold two sessions in the same morning, but the usual starting time is between 9:00 and 11:00 am.
As I said, there may be exceptions to the usual Sunday masses, and there are some churches that also celebrate gospel mass on Wednesday evenings around 7:00 pm.
Dates when you can't enjoy a gospel mass in Harlem
If you are attending a gospel service on a Sunday, you should be aware that there are certain Sundays of the year when access is limited to tourists and visitors who are not regular parishioners.
- Women's Day, which falls on the second Sunday in March.
- Palm Sunday
- Easter Sunday
- Mother's Day
- Homecoming, which corresponds to the second Sunday in September.
- Men's Day, which falls on the second Sunday in October.
- Limited access days include Christmas Day and New Year 's Day when they fall on a Sunday.
- There are some churches that during the month of August interrupt the admission of visitors to the Sunday gospel masses and move it to another day of the week, usually Wednesdays.
How long does a gospel mass in Harlem last?
To see a gospel mass in Harlem you can go on your own, in which case it will last about two to two and a half hours depending on the participation of the congregation, or you can attend a mass by hiring a tour. In this case, the time you will stay inside the temple will be one hour.
- Duration if you attend a free gospel mass: Two hours or two and a half hours.
- Duration if you attend a gospel mass as part of a tourist tour: One hour.
If you do not go to the service as part of a tour, you will have to wait in line to get in, which does not ensure that you will be able to get in depending on the number of people attending that day. Therefore, it is very important to arrive at the church in advance.
Schedules of attractions near a gospel mass church in Harlem
Visiting a gospel mass is an excuse to go to Harlem but in this district you will be able to enjoy an endless number of proposals.
See a show at the Apollo Theater, visit the Morris Jumel Mansion, walk along Sylvan Terrace, see a show at the Cotton Club, stroll through the residential neighborhood of Strivers' Row, visit the Schombur Center for Research in Black Culture or tour the Sugar Hill neighborhood are just some of the wonders that this area has to offer.
- Apollo Theater Hours: Shows usually start between 7:00 pm and 8:00 pm.
- Morris Jumel Mansion Hours: The museum is open from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Thursday through Sunday.
- Coton Club hours: The club opens at 8:00 p.m. for dinner and cocktails. The brass band plays from 20:00-20:30 h. and the show starts at 21:00-21:45 h. For brunch, the Cotton Club is open from 12:00 noon until approximately 2:30 pm.
- Schombur Center for Research in Black Culture Hours: The library is open daily except Sundays, from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm.