Since the tragic events of September 11, 2001, several places of remembrance and tribute to the protagonists of 9/11 have been erected in New York City, such as the 9/11 Memorial and Museum, which since its construction has become one of the must-visit places in the city.
There are a lot of activities to do in New York. If you are planning a trip to New York, don't hesitate to book one of the many 9/11-related tour options available. Whether you are looking to visit just the 9/11 sights or if you prefer to visit other points of interest in the city, you will certainly find several alternatives to suit your desires, your time and your budget.
1. 9/11 All-Access Tour: Ground Zero, the National 9/11 Memorial and Museum and One World Observatory
This 9/11 tour in New York is one of the most complete and includes the main places of interest linked to 9/11. It is a walking tour, with a guide personally linked to the 9/11 tragedy, who will tell you details of what happened on the day of the attack and in the days that followed.
This is an essential tour, because you have first person, real information and you can learn about the tragedy that took place through the eyes of the protagonists of that day: the inhabitants of New York.
One of the favorite places for visitors is the so-called Survivor Tree, testimony and symbol of resistance of the city of New York and New Yorkers to the attacks.
Admission to the 9/11 Museum, memorial, Survivor Tree and One World Observatory is included in the price. Departure times can be chosen at the time of booking.
9/11 All-Access Tour Details of Interest
- Price: the price is approximately 101 euros per person.
- Duration: the duration is 5 hours.
- Means of transportation: part of the tour is on foot and transportation from one place to another can be done by company or public transportation.
- Advantages of this option: entrance fees are included and the guide has personal knowledge of the events that took place.
- Disadvantages of this option: the language of the tour is English, there is no Spanish-speaking guide.
2. Statue of Liberty and 9/11 Memorial Access Tour
This is another one of the best 9/11 tours in New York, if you are looking to see the main sites related to these events and also other sites of interest in New York City and New Jersey, as the tour includes other activities as well.
On this tour, in addition to the 9/11 memorial, you will visit Wall Street, go by ferry to the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, New Jersey and New York Harbor.
Please note that this tour does not address 9/11 in as much depth as a more specific 9/11 tour might.
Details of interest of the Statue of Liberty & 9/11 Memorial Tour
- Price: the price is around 55 euros per person.
- Duration: the duration is about 4 hours and a half.
- Means of transportation: part of the tour is on foot. Ellis Island is reached by ferry.
- Advantages of this option: there are audio guides in 9 different languages including Spanish.
- Disadvantages of this option: entrance tickets to the 9/11 museum are not included in the price.
3. 9/11 Memorial and Tribute Museum Walking Tour
If you are interested in 9/11 but don't want to spend so many hours on the same subject, you can opt for this type of 9/11 tours in New York that only visit the 9/11 Tribute Museum and Memorial.
This is an entirely walking tour, so wear comfortable clothes and shoes.
Being a tour that has as one of the main points of interest the 9/11 Memorial, you will have plenty of time to visit it and spend a few moments of reflection next to this impressive monument.
9/11 Memorial and Tribute Museum Walking Tour Details of Interest
- Price: the price is approximately 25 euros per person.
- Duration: it lasts approximately 2 hours.
- Means of transport: the tour is done entirely on foot.
- Advantages of this option: it is a tour with an English speaking guide.
- Disadvantages of this option: entrance fees to the museum and the 9/11 memorial are not included in the price.
4. World Trade Center tour with skip-the-line access to the 9/11 museum and observatory
Without a doubt this is another of the best 9/11 tours in New York. If you choose this tour, you will have a very complete view of the events of 9/11, visiting the most important sites, including the One World Observatory, which stands proudly over New York City.
By opting for this tour, you have a great advantage, you do not have to wait in line, so there will be no downtime waiting to enter the sites of interest, all the time will be to enjoy the activities included in the tour. On this guided tour of about 5 hours you will visit the World Trade Center and access the 9/11 museum and observatory with preferential entrance, no queues included in the price.
Details of the World Trade Center tour with skip-the-line access to the 9/11 museum and observatory
- Price: this tour costs about 99 euros per person.
- Duration: it has an approximate duration of 5 hours.
- Means of transport: this tour is done by public transport and on foot.
- Advantages of this option: all entrance fees are included in the price and you are guaranteed not to have to queue to enter the monuments.
- Disadvantages of this option: being one of the most sought after tours it is sometimes difficult to get availability of dates, it is advisable to book well in advance.
5. Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island & 9/11 Memorial Pools Tour
This is another one of the many options for 9/11 related tours. It can be considered one of the best 9/11 tours in New York, because it takes you right to what everyone wants to see of 9/11, the memorial, also known as the "memorial pools" because of its characteristic shape.
If you want to visit New York's most iconic 9/11 memorial and you ask a local, they will tell you without a doubt that you have to visit the memorial.
There are many more activities related to 9/11 in New York, but if you are interested in visiting only the main point of interest and at the same time other must-see places in the city, such as the Statue of Liberty and the island, this is the tour that best suits your needs.
The 9/11 Memorial Pools are a striking monument both for its structural beauty and for its meaning of tribute and remembrance to the victims.
Around the memorial, you will find the names of all those who died that day. The memorial invites reflection and recollection, so the authorities urge you to adopt a posture of respect during your visit.
Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and 9/11 Memorial Pools Tour Details
- Price: the cost of this tour is around 71 euros per person.
- Duration: it has an approximate duration of 5 hours.
- Means of transportation: this tour is done by public transportation, ferry and on foot.
- Advantages of this option: it shows the most emblematic monument of September 11.
- Disadvantages of this option: Entrance fees to the Memorial are not included in the price.
How to book one of the best 9/11 tours in NYC
Most of the available tours can be booked online. There are companies that specialize in selling tour packages and include within their product portfolio the best 9/11 tours in New York.
It is advisable to book through a specialized company because through them you have a safe way to buy the tour packages you choose and also the prices are always much more convenient than if you hire directly.
In addition, many times companies have special promotions for certain destinations, so it is advisable to be aware of these opportunities and check the pages from time to time to avoid missing opportunities.
Another point in favor of buying online in this type of companies is that you can see the comments of people who have already bought the tours and their experiences are very helpful when it comes to choosing one of the tours offered.
Tips to consider for the best 9/11 tours in New York City
- If you are visiting any city it is important to follow some safety recommendations. In the case of New York, there are many precautions and above all common sense.
- If you are participating in one of the 9/11 tours or any other tour, try never to get separated from the group. The city is huge, with millions of inhabitants and tourists, so if it is your first visit try to always be with your reference group. The best thing to do is to take the contacts of your guide and your hotel with you, because if you get separated from the group accidentally, you will know where to go back to or who to call in case of need.
- When visiting the 9/11 memorials and monuments, remember that for you it may be a tourist activity, but for the people of New York, it is much more than that, it is a tribute and reminder to the victims of one of the worst tragedies the city has ever experienced.
- Many of the relatives of the thousands of deceased have only this Memorial to mourn their loved ones, so respect is essential during the visit. Avoid disruptive attitudes in these places of contemplation.
- Remember to wear comfortable clothes, the tours can take several hours and many of the activities are on foot, so it is necessary to dress comfortably, especially in summer, when temperatures can be very high.
- Remember to bring sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat, it may seem exaggerated, but 5 hours of walking in summer in New York without proper protection can leave you as red as a shrimp, I know from my own experience.
- If you are traveling in winter, keep in mind that it is very cold and snowy, for that reason, take all precautions to be warm and protected.
- If you are planning your trip and want to know what is the best time of the year to do it, you can check the New York weather data and plan with more confidence.
What are the advantages of taking a guided 9/11 tour in New York City versus visiting the memorials and monuments on my own?
If you are wondering what are the advantages of taking the guided 9/11 tours in New York, the first advantage is undoubtedly the possibility of getting to know the monuments with detailed explanations, which if you decide to make the trip on your own you will not have.
Having a guide is also very convenient if you do not speak English (there are many tours in Spanish). Generally, the prices of the guided tours include the entrances to the main sights of 9/11 and will be cheaper than if you buy the entrance and transport tickets separately, in most cases.
Another advantage is better time management. If you don't know the city it can be very difficult to navigate public transportation to get from one place to another and that can lead you to waste hours looking for how to get from one place to another in a huge city like New York.
Missing a stop on the subway can result in hours of delays and you can end up losing a whole day of sightseeing if you do not arrive on time to the activities marked, as many have exact start times.
Another advantage that has to do with time is being able to skip the lines. If you decide to take a 9/11 tour in New York with priority admission, avoiding the long lines at some monuments, you will have more time to enjoy other activities in the city.