Talking about the state of Florida, and of course the city of Miami, is talking about one of the best destinations to visit with your family. During your stay you will be able to enjoy the hundreds of attractions and fun activities that Miami has to offer throughout the year.
From boat rides, interactions with all kinds of animals, water games, shopping and themed museums, the variety in this destination is more than guaranteed! My advice, take a close look at the list of options presented below and on your next trip try to integrate as many activities as possible into your itinerary for an unforgettable vacation.
Schedule a visit to Zoo Miami
While it is true that visiting the zoo is one of the most interesting activities to do with children in almost any big city in the world, Zoo Miami has a special charm that makes it different from other zoos you may have visited before.
Located in South Miami Heights, its creators took advantage of Florida's proximity to the Caribbean to create the only subtropical zoo in the United States. In an extension of 750 acres coexist more than 3,000 species including among them hippos, gorillas, snakes and lions. simply a fascinating visit!
- Duration: I recommend spending a full day touring and enjoying the facilities, if you want to see the entire zoo the minimum time to spend is approximately 5 hours.
- Hours: The zoo facilities operate daily from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Price range: The basic adult admission ticket is available from 22€; children ages 3 to 12 have a special reduced rate price of approximately 20€.
- Address: Located at 12400 SW 152nd Street; in South Miami Heights.
Enjoy a pirate boat tour in Biscayne Bay
No visit to Miami would be complete without taking one of the favorite activities of tourists: a boat tour on the waters of Biscayne Bay to admire the beauty of the city from a totally different perspective.
This experience can be transformed into a real adventure for the kids, as some local companies offer this activity aboard a pirate ship for a themed boat ride that is great fun for everyone.
- Duration: The tour takes 1 hour and 30 minutes to complete. You must be at the meeting point 20 minutes before departure time to board.
- Schedule: Several tours are available throughout the day and require prior reservation.
- Price range: The standard price for adults is approximately €30; while children ages 4 to 11 pay approximately €20. Infants 3 years old and under participate free of charge.
Take a tour to see the best of Everglades
Everglades National Park is one of the most impressive natural wonders not only in Florida but in all of North America. Being the largest natural park in the country, the creatures that live here are not found anywhere else in the country.
Numerous Everglades tours are organized every day from the heart of the city, allowing tourists and locals alike to enjoy its wonders and see in their natural habitat numerous fascinating creatures such as large turtles and exotic alligators.
At the park you can enjoy an airboat ride through the waters to get a closer look at the animals as well as a live alligator show to see them up close - the kids love it!
- Duration: You should reserve at least half a day for this experience, the Everglades tour usually takes 4 to 5 hours to complete.
- Schedule: Different times depending on the company you hire for the experience.
- Price range: Approximately 38€ per traveler, this price includes transportation from downtown Miami and entrance to the park and shows. Free for children under two years old.
Visit the Phillip and Patricia Frost Museum of Science
One of the most interesting visits you can make on a visit to Miami with children. The north and west wings of the building are dedicated to the little ones, with a permanent exhibition that combines science and the creative imagination of geniuses such as Leonardo Da Vinci.
If you go to the Phillip and Patricia Frost Science Museum you can't miss the exhibition dedicated to the fictional hero Sherlock Holmes, where you will learn about his peculiar methods of deduction to help him solve mysteries by interpreting the clues provided.
- Duration: You can dedicate half a day to visit this interesting museum, 4 to 5 hours are usually enough to tour the facilities.
- Hours: Open to the public from Monday to Sunday from 10 am to 6 pm.
- Price range: About 29 € the entrance ticket, while the entrance for young people between 4 and 11 years is about 24 €. Children under 3 years old enter free accompanied by an adult.
- Address: The museum is located at 1101 Biscayne Boulevard.
Meet dolphins and other species at the Miami Marine Aquarium
Do your kids have an affinity or interest in aquatic creatures? Then they'll have a blast at the city's Seaquarium.
This space offers them incredible experiences such as the chance to swim with seals and dolphins, interact up close with penguins and admire all kinds of creatures ranging from fabulous flamingos, sea lions, turtles and giant killer whales.
I recommend visiting the Miami Seaquarium website in advance to purchase tickets but also to research the schedule of the daily animal shows.
- Duration: To enjoy the aquarium facilities to the fullest I recommend my friends to dedicate at least half a day; if you can dedicate a full day excursion.
- Hours: This attraction is open every day from 10 am to 5 pm.
- Price range: The entrance ticket for children over 10 costs around 47€, children from 3 to 9 years old pay around 37€ and children under 2 years old get in for free.
- Address: Located at 4400 Rickenbacker Causeway; on the man-made island Virginia Key.
Spend an afternoon by the pool at Flamingo Park
One of the must-do activities to do in Miami during your vacation is to have a day of fun in the water. With beautiful beaches and pools everywhere, options abound, but if you're in town with kids it might be more fun for them to visit the facilities of a water park like the famous and entertaining Flamingo Park.
Located in the heart of South Beach, it is one of the best activities to do if you go during the summer in Miami. The park is huge and inside you will find swimming pools, water games in the aquatic center, soccer and baseball stadiums, playground, climbing walls, running track and many other amusements.
- Duration: You can stay in the park as long as you want.
- Hours: Open to the public daily from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. in the evening.
- Price range: Non-resident visitors over the age of 18 pay about 10€, while young people aged 4 to 17 pay about 6€. Children under 3 years old enter free when accompanied by an adult.
- Address: At 1200 Meridian Avenue on Miami Beach Island.
Attend the Miami Children's Museum
If you're looking to introduce variety into your exploration of the city, seriously consider a visit to the Miami Children's Museum.
Located on Watson Island, just minutes away from tourist areas such as Downtown Miami and Miami Beach Island, the enclave boasts beautiful views of Biscayne Bay and the heart of the city.
The museum is made up of 17 interactive exhibition galleries, the exhibits are available in English and Spanish; and the visits are done in group sessions and pre-established schedules, which is why it is of vital importance to purchase tickets online days before your visit.
- Duration: 2 hours.
- Hours: From 10:00 am to 6:00 pm; the two-hour tours and activities are given at three different times: 10:00 am, 1:00 pm and 4:00 pm.
- Price range: admission ticket is about 20€ for all public, except accredited citizens of the state of Florida.
- Address: At 980 MacArthur Causeway on Watson Island one of the artificial islands in Biscayne Bay.
Admire graffiti art in the Wynwood District
Head to the Wynwood District to see the iconic and famous Wynwood Walls open-air museum.
This part of the city has attracted to the heart of Miami some of the best graffiti artists in the world, who have taken on the task of creating works of monumental size, vivid colors and a high dose of creativity.
If you want to take the experience of your tour of Wynwood to the next level you can visit the Graffiti Museum, a short, interesting and extremely educational tour that will lay the groundwork for many unknown aspects of this art.
Complement your tour by visiting some of the best ice cream parlors in Miami, which are located in this area.
Get the best views at the Miami Ferris Wheel
The Miami Ferris wheel is called Skyviews Miami Wheel, a highly entertaining activity that I recommend to do both during the day, to observe the skyline of the city from the heights, and during the nights in Miami to see how the whole city is filled with color with the night lights.
The SkyViews is located on Biscayne Bay Boulevard with a 61-meter-high Ferris wheel and 42 enclosed gondolas. Rides average approximately 15 minutes in length and are wonderfully enjoyed by children.
- Duration: As long as you want.
- Hours: Open to the public all year round from Monday to Friday from 1 pm to 10 pm; Saturdays and Sundays from 12 noon to 10 am.
- Price range: Approximately 15€ for an adult ticket; children under 4 years old are free when accompanied by an adult.
- Address: Located at 401 Biscayne Boulevard.
Visit a state-of-the-art theme park at FunDimension
Another fun activity you can do in the Wynwood District is to visit FunDimension, a fun center designed for the whole family that combines activities such as virtual reality games, a 7-D theater, rock climbing, bumper cars, laser tag battles and lots of neon everywhere!
It's a perfect activity if you find yourself on vacation during the winter in Miami and run into a rainy day that doesn't allow for outdoor fun.
When buying admission tickets for the rides choose the combo pass options, something that saves you money compared to buying tickets for each attraction separately. You will always have the alternative of repeating the one or ones you liked the most.
Useful information about the state of Florida, and of course the city of Miami
- Duration: As long as you want, the park has a food court if you want to dine on the premises.
- Hours: Closed on Mondays; the theme park is open from Tuesday to Friday from 1pm to 8pm and weekends from 10am to 10pm.
- Price range: Games available from 4€. The price to pay depend on the attractions and activities you want to do, I recommend checking the price list for more information.
- Address: At 2129 NW 1st Ct, in the popular Wynwood neighborhood.