La Gomera is an island with landscapes that seem from another time and another place: wild vegetation, valleys covered with jungle and cliffs and sea views that transport you directly to infinity.
On your trip to Tenerife, you can take advantage of a day trip to La Gomera to marvel at its incredible beauty and discover a unique ecosystem in the world and World Heritage Site, the Canary laurel forest of the Garajonay National Park.
The best value for money day trip to La Gomera
The best option para aprovechar al máximo la jornada. Recorrerás los pueblos con más encanto de la isla y su parque nacional, el Garajonay, en autobús. Incluye también la comida y los traslados a y desde tu hotel.
On this excursion to La Gomera from Tenerife you will discover the most impressive natural environments of the island with a local guide, in an air-conditioned bus and with a typical lunch included. You will depart by boat from the south coast of Tenerife (pick up at your hotel) and head to San Sebastian de La Gomera.
Once you arrive there, you will begin the ascent to the Garajonay National Park. Inside you will discover the ancient laurel forest and the viewpoint of Degollada de Peraza, which offers stunning views of the Barranco de la Laja and Chejelipes dams.
You will follow the route through the Palmita until you reach the villages of Las Rosas and Agulo, in the north of the island. There, you will enjoy a typical Canarian meal while watching a live demonstration of the silbo gomero, an ancient method of communication created by the aboriginal Canary Islanders and adapted to Spanish over time.
Why I like this option: This is the most complete option in terms of quality-price ratio. You will discover the Garajonay and the most charming villages of the island.
Recommended if... you want to take advantage of a day of your trip to Tenerife without worrying about transfers or meals, nothing more than to enjoy.
Is it worth visiting La Gomera with an excursion from Tenerife?
You will save time and money
If you are in Tenerife because you are looking for a vacation of sun, beach and lots of relaxation, dedicating a full day to La Gomera is the perfect plan to combine your trip. If you tried to do it on your own, it would be practically impossible to enjoy everything in one day: organizing the day, driving from one place to another, etc. With an excursion, the local guide will make sure you don't miss the most spectacular spots. In addition, if you visit the island on your own it is important to have a vehicle, and the cost of a car for 2 adults is approximately 185 € round trip, higher than the organized excursion.
You will have a local guide at your service
If you only have one day to visit La Gomera, time is money and a local guide will make sure you know the places you should not miss on this island. Let yourself be guided by his recommendations, take the opportunity to ask him all your questions, etc. If you also decide to take the Jeep tour, you will see a natural and wild perspective of the island in an almost private group that you could not get any other way.
The ferry from Tenerife to La Gomera
The ferry for all excursions to La Gomera departs from Playa de los Cristianos in Tenerife. There are currently two companies operating this route: Fred Olsen and Naviera Armas. Both ferries are similar and make the trip in only 50 minutes. The ferries are very large and stable, with very comfortable padded seats.
The cost of a round trip Tenerife - La Gomera for 2 adults and 1 car is around 185 €. Without a car, the price decreases significantly, but it limits so much the possibility of visiting the island that it is not worth it.
Practical tips to take into account during the excursion
- Don't forget your ID card or passport, as it will be necessary to board the ferry that will take you to La Gomera.
- In the case of the Jeep excursion, La Gomera port fees are not included in the price (10,50 € per person).
- If the weather is bad, the excursion will be postponed or cancelled, and your money will be refunded. Speaking of which, if for any reason you want to cancel the excursion, please do it at least 24 hours in advance to get a full refund.
What to see in La Gomera
Taking the ferry from Tenerife will take you to San Sebastian de La Gomera in about 50 minutes. You can visit some of its points of interest, such as the Museo Casa de Colón (in this small town, Columbus stopped before setting sail for the Americas) and the Church of Nuestra Señora de la Asunción, a beautiful temple that will transmit the rural charm of La Gomera.
- Torre del Conde: the most outstanding monument of San Sebastián de La Gomera. It is a very special 15th century fortress as it is the southernmost medieval (gothic) construction in the world! The Torre del Conde (Tower of the Count) attracts a lot of attention with a background of palm trees.
- Alojera: this beautiful village is off the beaten tourist track and to reach it you will have to cross roads along cliffs where you can stop to enjoy the views. The local product is palm syrup, a delicacy that you can taste and even take bottled as a souvenir.
- Garajonay National Park: the jewel of the island. Declared a World Heritage Site, it is a spectacular Biosphere Reserve along with the entire island. It is full of trails to walk and viewpoints with breathtaking views. It is a trip to the past of the planet because it has the best preserved laurel forest in Europe. This type of humid forest covered practically the entire Old Continent millions of years ago.
- Roque de Agando: If you are looking for photos of La Gomera, there is a high probability that you will find a rock formation that stands out among greenery, clouds and palm trees: it is the Roque de Agando. The excursion cannot miss a stop to immortalize the most emblematic point of the island.
- Valle Gran Rey: finally, the viewpoints on the way to Valle Gran Rey: the viewpoint of the Ermita del Santo offers spectacular views from a huge cliff where you can see, on a clear day, the islands of El Hierro and La Palma, and from the viewpoint of César Manrique you cansee the valley in all its splendor.
Alex's Traveller Tip
There are some very nice souvenirs that you can take back with you from La Gomera: a bottle of palm syrup, traditional pottery from El Cercado, or a jar of almogrote or mojo are perfect souvenirs of your trip.
What else can I see and do in Tenerife?
Tenerife is an island full of contrasts and corners to discover so don't worry, you will never have too much time to spare. If you feel like enjoying the Atlantic waters, the best option is to take a whale watching boat trip (dolphins and whales), as Tenerife is one of the best places in the world to do it.