Just arrived in Benidorm and you're a bit absent-minded? Get on a tourist bus and take a short tour around the city. You will discover which are its best beaches, its great leisure areas and some parks to spend some quiet time with the little ones. This will make it much easier to organize your getaway or your vacation.
But, in addition to all the things you can do in Benidorm, if you have time, I recommend you to discover incredible places located just a few kilometers away. The best thing? You can also reach them by tourist bus. Do you want to know more? I tell you everything you need to know.
The best tourist buses in Benidorm
Getting around Benidorm is very easy. More than twenty bus lines cross the city and will take you to all its corners. But during your stay you should pay special attention to some unique vehicles: they are red and yellow, have two floors and are panoramic.
They are really part of the urban transport network of the city, but they are real tourist buses. They will allow you to get to know Benidorm better, and not only because they will take you from one place to another. Also because they have audio system so you do not miss a single detail of everything you see.
It does not end here. In addition to these panoramic buses that will allow you to discover Benidorm, there are two other tourist buses that will take you to nearby towns and places of great interest, such as Guadalest, Altea or the Fuentes del Algar.
Whether you want to see the best of Benidorm in one day, or if your stay is longer and you want to make the most of it, these panoramic and tourist buses of the municipal transport network become an essential activity. In addition, they are the only ones of these characteristics that operate in Benidorm.
Different routes of the panoramic buses of Benidorm
There are four bus lines that you may want to know about. The most popular is number 30. But take note of these other numbers: 31, 16 and 18. Any of them will allow you to get to know Benidorm and its surroundings in a different and fun way. Besides, going up in the panoramic buses is one of the most entertaining activities to do with children in Benidorm.
As I told you before, it is the most popular and the first option to walk around Benidorm in an open bus. It has a head in the Rincón de Loix, the area where the largest number of skyscrapers in the city is concentrated. In case you didn't know, here there are more than 60 buildings over 80 meters high.
The other end of this line is just at the other end, south of the city. On your journey from one end of the line to the other, which takes about an hour and a quarter, you will pass some of Benidorm's main attractions. What will you see?
- Levante Beach: it is one of the most important beaches in Benidorm, with its more than two kilometers long. On its promenade there are plenty of bars, terraces and nightclubs. In other words: it is the epicenter of fun.
- Park of l' Aigüera: it occupies an old ravine, reconverted in the 90's in a landscaped promenade populated with pines and palm trees. This park marks the separation between the old and the new Benidorm.
- Elche Park: it is a small but charming urban park before the Poniente beach.
- Poniente Beach: it is the large beach of Benidorm, the longest, with its more than three kilometers long. But it is also a little quieter than the Levante beach, perfect for enjoying water activities in Benidorm or a relaxing day at the beach with the family.
- You will also pass very close to the famous Balcón del Mediterráneo, which you can visit when you get off the bus.
Bus line 31
The buses of this line are also panoramic and depart from Rincón de Loix. But its itinerary is different, as they do not head south, but leave the city to go north and reach El Albir and Altea.
If you are organizing plans to enjoy Benidorm in August, keep this in mind. In the central summer months Benidorm's beaches are very crowded. Those of El Albir and Altea are somewhat quieter, so they are a good alternative if you want to escape for a few hours from the bustle of Benidorm.
A note that interests you, especially if your stay in the city is not in those central months of the year: this line only operates between April and November. And what will you see? Some of the most beautiful corners of the Costa Blanca. If you want to make a day trip, this is a perfect plan.
- On your way you will border a unique natural area: the Natural Park of Serra Gelada, a protected natural area. If you like hiking, my advice is to spend a morning or afternoon hiking in it to reach its viewpoint, the views are spectacular.
- Then you will reach El Albir, a hamlet of the neighboring town of L'Alfàs del Pi. Do not miss either its beach or its particular promenade of the stars. The latter has its explanation: a famous film festival has been held here for more than three decades.
- You can stay in El Albir or continue to Altea. This town is known as the dome of the Mediterranean. Why? Because its charming whitewashed town center is crowned by a church with tiled domes of an intense blue color that stand out like a lighthouse in the landscape.
Lines 16 and 18
These are the two tourist lines (not panoramic) that will allow you to leave Benidorm to discover its surroundings. Specifically, line 16 will take you to the charming village of Guadalest. This town overlooks the landscape from an imposing rock. It also hides some of the most curious museums, such as the miniature museum or the salt and pepper shakers museum.
Line 18 will take you to the Fuentes del Algar, one of the most idyllic and photogenic spots in Alicante. Why are they so special? Because it is a succession of waterfalls that form pools of absolutely crystal clear water in a beautiful natural environment.
However, although you can reach these places in these tourist buses, my recommendation is to take an organized tour to these two places. You will have a guide who will explain all the details that interest you. It is much less cold and more entertaining than a simple audio in a bus.
How much does the ticket for the tourist buses cost?
The price of the tickets varies according to the line. A trip on the panoramic buses of lines 30 and 31 costs around 6 euros. At certain times, however, prices may be somewhat reduced. On the other hand, on both lines the ticket is purchased directly on the bus itself.
The single ticket for travel on the vehicles of lines 16 and 18 is somewhat cheaper. Its price is approximately 4 euros. It will also be given to you by the drivers, to whom you can ask any questions you have about the route or what you are going to see on it.
If your stay is long and you plan to enjoy Benidorm in three days or more, my advice is to opt for a tourist card. You have several possibilities:
- 24 hour card
- 72 hours card
- 7 days card
The price of the cards is different depending on the duration and ranges between 11 and 40 euros. Their great advantage is that with them you can get on the tourist buses of the four lines that I have mentioned as well as those of any other urban line of Benidorm.
How the tourist buses work
As I explained, tickets are purchased on the bus itself. With a single ticket you can make a single trip. They are a good alternative if you just want to go for a ride to get an idea of what the city is like as a plan to see Benidorm in one day. They are also good to go to Altea, Guadalest or the Fuentes del Algar on your own.
If you are going to move more and choose one of the tourist cards, you must take into account several important aspects:
- During their period of validity you can use them as much as you want.
- There is no limitation on the number of trips, bus lines or destinations.
- The cards can only be purchased on tourist lines: 16, 18, 30 and 31.
- The validity period of the cards starts to count from their first use.
- The cards are for personal use, i.e., they are not valid for groups.
- They are purchased on the bus.
You may not find it necessary to buy these cards, but keep in mind that Benidorm is a big city. If during your stay you plan to take a dip in Aqualandia, go to Terra Natura or enjoy all its beaches, the fastest way to move around will be the bus and with these cards you can do it freely.
And one last thing I want to emphasize. The four tourist lines have an audio system that will allow you to know important aspects of the places you pass through. The audio is available in 5 languages: Spanish, English, French, German and Russian.
Tourist bus schedules
The timetables vary greatly from one line to another. It is very important that you take this into account to get the most out of them, especially if you decide to buy a tourist card.
You will not have any problem with the panoramic buses of line 30. Their frequency changes according to the season, but in no case is it more than 60 minutes. They usually run from 9:30 a.m. until after 10:00 p.m.
The schedules of the other lines are shorter and depend much more on the tourist season. Therefore, the best advice is to check the timetables on the website when you are already in Benidorm.
Advantages of using the tourist buses
It is true that Benidorm has no ancient monuments and maybe that's why you think it is not worth getting on a tourist bus. Don't make that mistake. It is always a good idea to travel on them. Why?
- You will have a global vision of the city, which will allow you to locate the best beaches or the most atmospheric places to go for a walk or party.
- They allow you to reach other places of great tourist interest, beaches less crowded than those of Benidorm and natural places of great beauty.
- The tourist buses of Benidorm, in fact, belong to urban transport lines. What does it mean? That their price is very affordable.
In case the urban route does not convince you or does not take you to places that interest you, there are always fun alternatives. You can pedal through the city, in fact there are bike lanes for you to do so. Or, if you don't want to make the effort, you can also choose to take a segway tour choosing the route yourself.
Tips related to tourist buses
Now that you know how the tourist buses in Benidorm work and all their advantages, I can only give you some tips:
- If you dare to take the panoramic bus tour and the sun is shining, don't forget to wear a hat and sunglasses, as well as sunscreen.
- In case you want to visit Benidorm at night, the tourist buses are not a viable option after a certain hour. In any case, walking you will be able to move without problems by the main leisure areas of the city.
- Find out the timetables, it is something that should be insisted on. Why? Because, as I have already explained, in some cases the frequency is reduced. The problem is not that you miss a bus, but that by an oversight there is no longer service to return to Benidorm if you have decided to leave the city.
- To be able to visit these municipalities calmly, my advice is to opt for a day trip to the Algar and Guadalest waterfalls. You will be able to do it in a much more relaxed way.