Not everything is beach and party in Benidorm. Its surroundings hide quiet coves and crystal clear waters, caves, magnificent cliffs and seabed that delight any snorkeling or diving enthusiast.
But many of these places can only be accessed from the sea. That is why a kayak excursion is one of the best activities you can do in Benidorm. It is also an experience that you will enjoy if you travel with friends or family.
Do you dare to take the adventure? Don't think about it, places you can't imagine are waiting for you in Benidorm. So that you have no doubt, I will explain you which are the best kayak excursions. And I will also give you some other information that may interest you.
1. Kayaking, snorkeling and caving in San Antonio cape
The coast of Alicante hides fascinating ecosystems. Located a few kilometers north of Benidorm, Cape San Antonio is a nature reserve protected for its high ecological value. Here you can navigate at the foot of cliffs that exceed 150 meters high. And if you dive into its waters, you will see posidonia meadows, corals and countless fish and crustaceans.
All this makes it one of the most exciting plans you can do in Benidorm. But what are you going to see and do in this adventure? Take note:
- You will tour the most beautiful part of the cape of San Antonio. Meanwhile, a professional guide will explain all the secrets of this geographical feature and the nature reserve.
- You will visit Cova Tallada, a cave at sea level that was a quarry between the XII-XIV centuries. Do not miss its rocky arches and how they worked to extract the stone. In addition, there is a natural pool inside, one of the most amazing corners of the coast of Alicante!
- You will have time to put on your snorkeling gear and discover the interesting marine flora and fauna of this nature reserve.
2. Kayak and snorkeling excursion from cliffs in Cala Tangó
If you are looking for some excitement and adventure, I recommend this experience. Cala Tangó, in Jávea, is one of the most amazing and unique places on the Costa Blanca. It's not easy to get there on foot, so kayaking is the best way to enjoy it.
But that's not what makes it so special. Why should you discover it? Here are just a few good reasons:
- You'll be able to jump off cliffs. You will release tons of adrenaline and, most importantly, safely. In this cove there are small platforms at different heights to jump without taking risks.
- When you get tired of jumping, you can take a relaxing dip or snorkel in its waters. They are absolutely crystal clear. In addition, the cove is usually uncrowded, so it is one of the best activities you can plan in Benidorm in August.
- Although it is an extreme adventure, you will also enjoy the beauty of Cape San Antonio and its rocky walls. You will feel like a real explorer!
If you dare to enjoy this excursion, and whether or not you are an art lover, I advise you to see a painting first: "Children bathing among rocks, Jávea", by Joaquín Sorolla. Why? Because Cala Tangó is the scene that inspired the painter. It will not be difficult for you to identify those rocks on which the protagonists of the work lean.
3. Kayak and snorkeling excursion in Granadella Cove
Cala Granadella is a spectacular place to start a kayak excursion. The reason? Turquoise and crystalline waters that invite you to get into them. In addition, if you follow the coastline sailing, you will reach some of the most beautiful spots near Benidorm.
If you want to enjoy a quiet and relaxing experience, this is a choice you will definitely make! Besides, it is one of the best activities you can do in Benidorm in October, when you don't feel like going for a swim. Pay attention to everything that awaits you:
- You will discover En Caló, a beautiful cove between cliffs with a huge rock in the center. It can only be accessed by sea and, for sure, when you see it, it reminds you of those hidden beaches typical of exotic countries. But don't forget, you are just a stone's throw away from Benidorm!
- You will also visit the Cova del Llop Marí, a sea cave that will surprise you with its dimensions. It is also an ideal place to dive into its waters and snorkel.
- Following the coastline of Jávea, you will reach Cala Ámbolo. There you will see the watchtower that was built in the sixteenth century to defend against pirate attacks. So, in addition to discovering fascinating landscapes, you can learn a little more about the history of this area.
4. Kayak excursion to discover sea caves
Following the coast of Benidorm towards the north, the coastline becomes abrupt. In these cliffs that overlook the sea hide countless caves. More than landscapes, they are live geology lessons. On board the kayak you will be able to see the enormous power of nature up close.
If you have the soul of an adventurer, dare to discover some of these caves, not only for their beauty, but also for the varied fauna they shelter. But if I recommend this adventure is not only for that.
What else awaits you?
- You can take a dip in the Blue Lagoon. It is a small natural pool whose waters, of an intense turquoise color, are perfect for taking those photos that will make your social networks envious.
- Do you feel like spelunking? Perfect! On your route there is a very special stop: the Cova del Llop Marí, one of the most spectacular on the coast of Alicante.
5. Kayaking and snorkeling in Portixol Cove
The cove of Portixol, in the neighboring town of Jávea, is one of the most photogenic places of the Levantine coast. Its crystal clear waters and the fishermen's houses on its shore give shape to a picture that surely reminds you of the Greek islands.
But this corner is much more than a photo. The cove is perfect for a nice kayak ride, to make a dive and to enjoy surrounded by cliffs. I explain in more detail everything that awaits you:
- You will be able to snorkel in Cala El Pom. It can only be accessed by sea. It is home to interesting marine structures, a bottom worthy of admiration and even a waterfall!
- You will arrive at the foot of Cap Negre, a cliff 100 meters high. By the way, if you have time after the excursion, go up to its viewpoint, the views of the coast are spectacular.
- You will conquer the island of Portixol. Do not miss the beauty of its caves but, above all, its natural pool. With its crystal clear waters, it is perfect for a dip. Do you dare to jump from the rocks? Here you can do it.
6. Excursion by the bay of Benidorm
Did you know that there are 26 buildings over 100 meters high in the city, or that three of them are over 150 meters high? But you can only admire the particular skyline of Benidorm if you go a few hundred meters away from the coast.
If you go around the bay by kayak you will see much more, for example, its island or the famous Levante beach. And, if you are still strong enough, I recommend you to follow the coast northwards to reach the Serra Gelada Natural Park. What will you see there? Cliffs of more than 300 meters, caves and the small island Mitjana, which hides rocky bottoms full of life.
7. Excursion to the island of Benidorm
This island rises just over 73 meters above sea level. And surely his is one of the most iconic images of Benidorm. But what you may not know is that it has an incredible ecological value. Here nest countless birds and the richness of its seabed make it a good place for diving.
But how to get there? A good way is to do it aboard a kayak. You may think that this island is very far away, but it really is not. It is a little more than three kilometers from the coast, more or less three quarters of an hour paddling.
And a curiosity: there are many legends that speak of its origin. Some say that it was the horse of King James I the Conqueror who broke a mountain with a blow. Others attribute the merit to the mount of the apostle Santiago. And some others to the sword of Charlemagne or mythological beings. You can try to discover the mystery when you get there.
8. Rent a kayak and make an excursion on your own
This is another interesting possibility, since it allows you to navigate freely. You decide where you will take your kayak and where you will take a break. You are not limited in the timetable either. Do you feel like watching the sunset? One option is to take a boat trip to watch the sunset, but you can also do it from a kayak.
That freedom is the great advantage of renting the boat on your own. However, I only recommend the adventure if you have a certain amount of experience, are in good physical shape and have previously informed yourself about the places you want to access by kayak. And, if possible, do not travel alone.
Despite the advantages of this option, do not forget that in a guided tour you will always have the support of a professional. Not only will they take you to the most spectacular spots on the coast, but they will also provide you with a lot of information and assistance if you need it.
What do you need to enjoy a kayak tour to the fullest?
The most important thing is that you are eager to have fun and do some sport. The excursions last about two and a half hours, but don't worry, the routes are not too demanding. You will be able to do them without much difficulty, even if you do not practice sports on a regular basis.
Obviously, you must know how to swim. Of course, it is not necessary that your style is that of an Olympic athlete, it is enough that you defend yourself well in the water. In any case, if you opt for a guided excursion, you will be accompanied by an expert guide. In addition, it is mandatory to wear a life jacket that you will be given before starting the activity because safety is fundamental.
What else will you need? Actually, very little:
- Swimsuit, waterproof clothing and footwear and a towel, especially if you are going to take advantage of the excursion to snorkel or take a dip.
- Hat, sunglasses and a good sunscreen to prevent the sun and the breeze from affecting your skin.
- You can bring water to stay hydrated or some snacks, although they are usually included in the excursion.
Other important aspects
Before hiring the kayaking excursion you should consider some other issues because not all experiences are the same:
- The duration may be somewhat different, but not less than two and a half hours. Do not forget to make the most of your stay and enjoy the best plans to enjoy Benidorm.
- Normally you can choose between two schedules, morning and afternoon.
- The minimum age required may vary depending on the type of experience. Usually it is required to be over 10 years old, although in the most demanding excursions the limit can be raised to 16 years old.
- Prices also depend on the experience you choose. As a general rule, they range from 40 euros to 70 euros.
How to book
It is very simple. The first thing to do is to choose the kayak excursion that you most want to do. Remember that there are different itineraries and that some activities include the possibility of snorkeling or caving. But not all of them.
Secondly, you must mark the day and time chosen and how many people are going to do the excursion. If there is availability, you only have to enter your personal information and make a reservation. It is important that you do not forget to print the reservation on paper or, at least, to carry the confirmation email on your cell phone. You will have to present it at the beginning of the activity.
You should also keep in mind that these experiences, like others such as riding a banana boat in Benidorm, require a minimum number of participants. If this minimum number is not reached for the day and time you have chosen, the activity will be suspended. But be careful! It does not mean that you have to give it up, there can always be places at another time.
And what happens if the activity is suspended due to bad weather? Don't worry, you will receive your money back or you can change the date without any problem. And you will also get a refund if you can't participate in the excursion and you give at least 24 hours notice.
Don't feel like paddling, there are alternatives!
Any kayaking adventure will allow you to look at Benidorm with different eyes. But you may not be able or feel like paddling for a few hours. Don't miss the chance to see the silhouette of the city from the sea or to enjoy the beauty of the surrounding coastline.
An alternative is to take one of the boat tours from Benidorm. You will contemplate the bay, the Levante beach or the island. If you are looking for plans to enjoy Benidorm with children, choose a boat with underwater vision. The little ones will love to see the bottom of the sea and countless animals swimming almost next to them.
There is more because from land it is also possible to admire the landscapes of the Costa Blanca, its cliffs and some of its caves. The best thing is that these trips to the coast and caves from Benidorm also take you to discover really beautiful neighboring towns.
And, if you still want more, remember that you are in a city that is synonymous with fun. There are endless plans to enjoy Benidorm in three days, two or even just one.
Is it a mini-holiday or a long getaway? Then I give you one last tip: reserve a day to do one of theday tripsfrom Benidorm. Just a stone's throw from the city there are wonderful places like Calpe, Altea or the Algar springs. Discover them!