Rome Catacombs Guided Tour
About this activity
- Your booking is confirmed instantly
- This activity is in your language
- This option has FREE cancellation: book it without any risk!
Discover the Catacombs of St. Callixtus with this guided tour of about 40 minutes. Located on the Appian Way, these catacombs are the largest in Rome and consist of an extensive network of corridors arranged on 5 levels.
The Catacombs of St. Callixtus can only be visited by a professional guide. With this tour you will ensure your reservation for the day and time of your choice and learn about the history of this authentic labyrinth, the tombs found there and the frescoes depicting various sacraments.
- Book your guided tour of the Catacombs of St. Callixtus
- Discover the Crypt of St. Cecilia, the Crypt of the Nine Popes and the 3rd century frescoes.
- Get to know all the details thanks to an expert guide who will accompany you during the visit.
- Entrance ticket to the Catacombs of St. Callixtus
- Professional guide throughout the tour
- Guided tour
Select participants and date
What to expect
Enjoy a guided tour of the Catacombs of St. Callixtus in Rome, a large Christian cemetery that was excavated by the city's Christians between the 3rd and 5th centuries AD. The name of this necropolis comes from Pope Callixtus, who held office between 217 and 222 AD.
For about 40 minutes, you will discover from the hand of your professional guide the origin of the catacombs, how they were excavated and the different parts that compose it. Among the most important are the following:
- Crypt of the Popes: also called Crypt of the Nine Popes or Little Vatican, you will be able to see 5 of the 9 tombstones of the popes who were buried here.
- Crypt of St. Cecilia: the place where the patron saint of music, St. Cecilia, was first buried. Highlights include decorative frescoes and a copy of the statue dedicated to the saint.
- Frescoes of the Sacraments: they are located in the oldest part of the catacombs and represent sacraments such as Baptism and the Eucharist.
In addition to these places, the guide will lead you through the labyrinth of tunnels dug underground and will show you different archaeological remains that were found in the area.
Other activities in Rome
Offer: Tickets to Coliseum and Roman Forum + Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel
Colosseum, Roman Forum and Palatine Guided tour
Rome Hop-On Hop-Off Big Bus Tour
Rome Shuttle Bus: Fiumicino Airport To-From Rome City Center
Guide tour of the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter’s Basilica
Guided tour of St. Peter’s Basilica and access to the dome
Rome Shuttle Bus: Ciampino Airport To-From Rome City Center
Rome Vatican and Sistine Chapel Skip-the-Line Tickets
Colosseum, Roman Forum and Palatine Hill Tickets
Rome Gallery Borghese Tickets