Rome is one of the most touristic cities in the world, so you have several alternatives to get from its two airports to the center. I am going to summarize what you should know, but I can tell you that the best value for money option is the shared transfer.
1. Transfer options to get to Rome from the airport
- Shared transfer from Ciampino to your hotel - From $ 22
- Shared transfer from your hotel to Ciampino - From $ 22.
- Shuttle bus transfer between Ciampino and Rome - From $ 8
- Shared transfer from Fiumicino to your hotel - From $ 22
- Bus transfer between Fiumicino and Rome - From $ 9.
2. Transfers between Ciampino and Rome
You can get to Rome from Ciampino and vice versa in several ways. Here are the two main differences between shared and private transfers:
Shared transfer between Ciampino and Rome
If you are staying in the center of Rome and you want to get from Ciampino to the very door of your hotel in an easy, fast and comfortable way with an affordable price, the shared minibus transfer from Ciampino to Rome is the best option. You will travel in an eight-seater minibus and in 45 minutes you will be in the center of Rome.
On the way back, you can enjoy the same service and make a shared minibus transfer from your hotel in Rome to Ciampino to end your trip without stress.
The service works exactly the same on the outward and return trip, but if you allow me to give you a tip, it is important that you calculate well the pick-up time of the transfer. Remember that the traffic in Rome can be a bit chaotic and therefore it is better not to go with just enough time.
Also tell you that they will ask for your hotel address and pick up time to calculate a good route, but I insist that it is better if you give them a little margin to avoid possible unforeseen traffic and get to the airport with peace of mind.
Private transfer between Ciampino and Rome
Another option, instead of sharing transportation with other travelers, is to book a private transfer from Ciampino to your hotel. You will have a private car waiting for you and your companions upon landing, and you will head directly to your hotel without unnecessary waiting or stops. When booking, you will also have the option to choose a transfer back to the airport from your hotel.
Ciampino to Rome by bus
This is the most recommended option if you are not going to use the private or shared transfer. The cheapest option is to use the regular ATRAL buses that link the airport with the last metro station on line A (Anagnina). However, from there you will have to reach the center of Rome using the subway network and what you save in price you will spend in time and effort.
If you choose this option and are staying in the center of Rome, I recommend a bus transfer between Ciampino and Rome. For about six euros you will have several stops in the center of Rome and the trip will be much shorter and more comfortable. These buses can also be booked in advance.
If you book your seat online, you will receive a voucher with instructions on how to find the bus stop of the corresponding transport company (you can also ask at the airport). Buses from Ciampino to Rome usually take about 45 minutes to reach the center, leave every 30 to 40 minutes, are air-conditioned and you can also book the return trip from Termini Station. There is no extra charge for luggage.
Other options for Ciampino: cab or Uber
Cabs from Ciampino to the center of Rome have a fixed fare of about 30 euros excluding the night supplement if applicable. Cab ranks are easy to find once you are at the airport; remember to beware of unofficial cabs (official cabs are white, with the word "cab" written on the roof and with the license number and the city's coat of arms visible) that may be offered at the airport.
If you prefer to use VTC apps, Uber is available in Rome, but the ride to the center from the airport may be more expensive. If you choose this option, check the price before ordering the car, make sure you meet at an accessible pick-up point and that you have an Internet connection once you get off the plane.
Ana's Traveller Tip
If you are traveling in a group and want a direct transfer to the hotel, the private transfer option may be more economical than the shared transfer.
3. Transfers between Fiumicino and Rome
The same options I am telling you about from Ciampino airport are also available from Fiumicino airport to Rome. As you will see, the price and conditions are practically the same:
Shared transfer between Fiumicino and Rome
There is the same option of shared arrival transportation at Fiumicino. If you are staying in the center of Rome and you want to get from Fiumicino to the door of your hotel in an easy, fast and comfortable way at an affordable price, the shared minibus transfer is the best option. You will travel in an eight-seater minibus and in 45 minutes you will be in the center of Rome.
It is not only important to get to your accommodation once you are at the airport. When you return from your trip you will have the same dilemma of how to get to Fiumicino or Ciampino from your hotel.
The shared transfer is also available to go from the center of Rome to Fiumicino, something you will appreciate even more when you are exhausted after a trip that will be intense (and wonderful, I assure you) and when you want to be sure to calculate well the times to make the most of the city of Rome.
Returning to the airport from your hotel with this service you will have the same booking procedure, the same conditions and the same price.
Private transfer between Fiumicino and Rome
If you are in a hurry, do not want to wait or simply prefer to go at your own pace and not depend on other travelers, you can book a private transfer service between Fiumicino and Rome. The car will be just for you (and your companions, in case you are traveling as a couple, with friends or family) and will take you directly to your hotel or wherever you tell him, as long as the destination is in the center of Rome.
Transfer from Fiumicino to Rome by bus
It is the cheapest option (the price is around six euros) and you have the opportunity to book your ticket from Fiumicino to Rome in advance. There are several bus companies that make direct trips between Fiumicino and the center of Rome with stops at Termini Station and other central points of the capital.
To locate the company in question, the most useful is to follow the information you will receive by mail when booking or ask directly at the information points of the airport, although if you wish you have the option to hire the pick-up separately when making your reservation. The journey takes about 45 minutes, buses leave every 30-40 minutes from Fiumicino and have room for luggage.
This option is also available to return to the airport from the center of Rome with stops at Termini, the Vatican and Via Aurelia.
Fiumicino to Rome by train
Rome has two metro lines: A and B. To reach them from Fiumicino airport you will have to use a direct train. You have two options:
- The Leonardo Express express train will drop you off at Termini station and takes about 55 minutes. The approximate price is fifteen euros.
- The normal FL-1 train which takes about an hour and a quarter (as it makes more stops) and will cost about 8 euros.
At any of the information booths at the airport you can ask about buying tickets, but both options are signposted.
Other options for Fiumicino: cab or Uber
Make sure you know the price you will be charged before leaving the airport and that the cab is official (you will recognize them because the license number is visible next to the city's coat of arms, the cars are white and the word "cab" is written on the roof). The fixed fare established by the Municipality of Rome to go from Fiumicino airport to any point in the city (as long as it is within the Aurelian walls) is about 48 euros.
Remember that cabs may charge night bonuses and that there are times when they may ask you for a "baggage surcharge". If you are going outside the limits established by the Aurelian Walls, it is best to negotiate the price before leaving. The points where you can find cabs are easily located through the signs distributed throughout the airport.
4. How to book your transfer
As you will see, the price and conditions at both airports are practically the same. Once you book a transfer, you will receive a confirmation email with all the details and instructions. You will probably be asked for your flight number and the company you are traveling with, to make sure they check if the flight arrives on time.
In any case, almost all transportation companies have a stand or corner at the airport with staff available 24 hours a day so that you can contact them when you land. They will also ask you for your hotel address so that they can calculate a good route and drop you off at your accommodation as quickly as possible.
How to book step by step
- Book your place online.
You will receive a "voucher" indicating where and how the driver will pick you up at the airport.
- You will be asked for your flight information and you will be given the contact information of the company that will pick you up at the airport in case of any inconvenience.
- When your plane arrives at Fiumicino the driver of your transfer will be waiting for you at the agreed point.
- You will get on the shared transfer together with the rest of the passengers**(there are 8 seats**).
- The minibus will take each of you to your respective hotels.
Ana's Traveller Tip
Rome's two airports are at the same distance from the center, so if your city has flights to both airports, you can choose the cheapest one.
5. What do you need to know about shared transfers to the center of Rome?
- Each passenger is entitled to one suitcase and one carry-on bag. If you have special luggage (instruments, bicycles, professional photographic equipment...) check with the transport agency before booking.
- If your plane is delayed, the driver will know it because he has your flight information. The transport company will contact you if there are any changes in the pick-up time that you should be aware of.
- If you are late in arriving at the meeting point, you should know that the driver will wait for you for a maximum of 30 minutes. This does not mean that you have to rush to get off the plane; your transfer driver will use your flight information to calculate how long it will take you to find and get to the meeting point.
- This transfer service does not reach all hotels outside the center of Rome; if you are staying outside the center the transfer may not be covered. If in doubt, check when booking to make sure that your hotel is included.
6. Advantages of a private transfer over a shared transfer:
- If you are traveling in a large group (8 people maximum) it will probably be more profitable to choose the private transfer option since you will pay the cost of the trip together and it will be cheaper than a shared one.
- The driver will be exclusively at your disposal and will be waiting for you at the terminal with a sign with your name on it.
- It will take you less time to get to your hotel since the minibus or luxury car (always with air conditioning) in which you travel will not make stops to drop off other passengers at their hotel.
- If you carry a lot of luggage you will have more facilities since you will not share space in the vehicle with other passengers.
7. You may also be interested in
Once in Rome you should organize your time well, as there are many things you should not miss, although you can always leave some for your return to the city. Taking a tour of Rome can be one of the best options to not miss the must-see places in the city. Reading this post about Best Rome Tours you can get more information about the best tours in Rome.
Also, if you have enough time, I recommend you to visit the surroundings of Rome with an excursion. It is really worth it as you can see if you take a look at this post about Best Day Trips from Rome.
Frequently asked questions
How long does it take to get to Ciampino airport?
Ciampino airport is located 16 kilometers south of the city of Rome. A transfer will take you from the airport to the city in about 40 minutes.
How big is Ciampino airport?
Ciampino is a relatively small airport, operating out of a single terminal. It is generally considered the cheapest alternative to Fiumicino airport.
Is Ciampino airport open 24 hours a day?
No, the airport closes at night from 00:00 to 4:30, so it is not possible to sleep inside.