Rome Catacombs of Callixtus Guided Tour
About this activity
Smartphone tickets accepted
- Your booking is confirmed instantly
- This activity is in your language
This activity will allow you to delve into the underground of Rome, specifically the Catacombs of San Callisto. There are many in the Eternal City, but these are considered among the most fascinating. An expert guide will tell you the history of this place, which encloses tunnels, frescoes and tombs. The tour lasts approximately 40 minutes.
- Enter the catacombs, the tombs of the first Christians.
- Enjoy the explanations of an expert guide.
- Take advantage of an activity designed for small groups.
- Entrance to the catacombs of St. Callixtus
- 40-minute guided tour
- Audio guide
Select date and time
Keep in mind you need to arrive 10 minutes before start
Step by Step
This ticket guarantees access to the Catacombs of St. Callixtus, the oldest and most important in the Eternal City. An expert guide will accompany you through the underground passages of Rome to discover the tombs of the early Christians. The visit takes place in small groups and lasts approximately 40 minutes.
The Catacombs of St. Callixtus are located along the Appia Antica, a short distance from the small church of Quo Vadis. They consist of a network of tunnels of almost 20 kilometres divided into four levels of depth. They owe their name to the homonymous deacon who was entrusted with the administration of this cemetery at the end of the 1st century. Once inside you can admire the following rooms:
- Crypt of the Popes - The burial place of the popes of the 3rd century.
- Area of Pope Miltiades - The obligatory passage of ancient pilgrims.
- Crypt of St. Cecilia - Originally the burial place of the martyr of the same name. Today, her remains rest in Trastevere and a statue depicts Cecilia in her eternal sleep.
- Region of St. Gaius and Eusebius - Two tombs of the eponymous popes. They are decorated with writings in Greek and Latin as well as frescoes.
- Cubicles of the Sacraments - Six small burial chambers built in the 3rd century AD. The frescoes illustrate two key moments in the life of every Christian: Baptism and the Eucharist.
This is a recommended activity for all history buff s and for those interested in discovering something out of the ordinary. It is also recommended in case of rain.
Other Things You Should Know
Other activities in Rome
Guide tour of the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter’s Basilica
Offer: Tickets to Coliseum and Roman Forum + Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel
Colosseum, Roman Forum and Palatine Guided tour
Rome Hop-On Hop-Off Big Bus Tour
Rome Shuttle Bus: Fiumicino Airport To-From Rome City Center
Guided tour of St. Peter’s Basilica with access to the dome
Rome Shuttle Bus: Ciampino Airport To-From Rome City Center
Rome Vatican and Sistine Chapel Skip-the-Line Tickets
Rome Gallery Borghese Tickets
Colosseum Guided tour with Roman Forum & arena access