If you travel to Tenerife with children, one of the coolest activities you can do for family fun is a whale and dolphin watching tour. It will be a unique opportunity for the kids to get close to nature and see marine animals in their own habitat. In addition, they will have a great time riding on a boat and sailing the sea.
But, like all excursions with children, this one also has its trick. To make sure everything goes smoothly on the day of the tour, take note of these little tips.
1. Tell them a little about what they will see on the excursion
Children are very curious and love to ask questions. This occasion will be no exception. If you decide to go on a whale watching cruise with your family, I recommend that you prepare a little bit for the visit so that you can better orient them about what they will see. Especially if they have never seen such creatures before.
In addition, reviewing the fauna you will see during the excursion before leaving will also help you to get to know them and identify them better on the water, so the kids' questions won't catch you off guard!
In Tenerife there are resident populations of bottlenose dolphins and pilot whales, but many other species also migrate to the island from time to time. In the post "What types of cetaceans can I see in Tenerife?" you will find more information about the marine creatures that you can observe during a boat trip in the waters of the island. Don't miss it!
2. Take the opportunity to teach them the importance of taking care of the oceans
Whale and dolphin watching tours in Tenerife are activities that also have a very interesting educational side for children. With this type of excursions the kids will discover the importance of caring for the oceans, which are home to many species and produce much of the oxygen that we humans breathe.
It is always a good idea to instill good values in them from an early age, and if this is done while they are having fun, all the better! In addition, as during the boat ride you will be accompanied by guides or marine biologists, this can be a good opportunity to awaken their curiosity about the environment and to ask them any questions they may have.
3. Better to sail in the morning
Kids always wake up full of energy in the morning, so if you are thinking about the best time to go on a whale watching tour with them, my advice is to get up early and go early. The children will be more awake to go on the excursion and will pay more attention to the marine animals they will see on the route.
Also, if your vacations in Tenerife coincide with the summer, you should keep in mind that the island is quite hot in that period of the year. So I recommend that you set sail early in the morning when it is still cool, and then you will have the rest of the day to do other activities together!
4. Protect them from the sun and the cold on the boat
During the summer the sun shines brightly on the island and temperatures rise quite high, so the heat can be stifling at certain times of the day. Since this activity takes place completely outdoors for several hours, I recommend that the whole family be well prepared and protect themselves from the heat by wearing light clothing, a hat, sunglasses and applying sunscreen on their skin*.
The rest of the year temperatures are usually mild in Tenerife but if the day of the excursion dawns a cool day or something rainy, it is best to put some waterproof warm clothing for the kids.
In the post "Best time for whale watching in Tenerife" I tell you how is the weather on the island in different seasons so you can take it into account when planning your getaway and packing the children's suitcase.
5. Bring snacks to nibble in your backpack
It is also important for children to be well hydrated, so don't forget to carry a bottle of fresh water in your backpack. And since they can get hungry at any time, it's always a good idea to bring a snack to kill the munchies and distract them for a while during the trip to avoid a tantrum on the ship.
However, some of the whale watching cruises in Tenerife include lunch during the excursion (sandwiches, sandwiches, soft drinks, water, snacks ...), which is great because it will allow you to better organize the meals of the kids and you will not have to look for a free table in a restaurant near the port after the tour at the last minute.
On the other hand, kids are usually very generous when it comes to sharing their food with the animals, but on this kind of excursions it is not allowed to throw food to the cetaceans from the boat.
Why not feed the whales?
- First of all because getting close to the side of the boat is a serious danger for the children, they could fall into the water, so don't let them out of your sight for a second!
- Secondly, because whales and dolphins do not feed on children's favorite snacks (chocolate bars, snacks, snack cakes...) but mainly fish and squid. They do not have a sweet tooth!
- And last but not least, because they are wild animals whose behavior is unpredictable. During the excursion you should not do anything to disturb them, but simply observe them from a distance. This will avoid any unpleasant encounters with these marine creatures.
6. Go to the restroom before starting the tour
Children are often surprised by the call of nature at the most unexpected moment. Depending on the size and type of boat in which you are going to take the sea trip, it may or may not have toilets.
In order not to take a risk and be in a hurry during the whole activity, in case there are no toilets on board the boat, it is advisable that before boarding you make a brief visit to the toilets.
7. Book it in advance so that they do not leave without you
My advice is to book online and in advance your place on a whale watching boat in Tenerife, as it is a very popular activity on the island. Otherwise, you may be left at the port without boarding the day you had booked on your vacation to do this plan.
Children love animals and riding on a boat will be a very exciting adventure that they will always remember, so for them it would be a huge disappointment if the tickets are sold out. Don't you think?
Besides, buying your tickets online to see whales on a boat in Tenerife you will be able to compare rates, schedules, availability of tours, types of routes and duration, among other things, which will make it easier for you to choose the one that best suits your family.
Which cruise to choose according to the age of the kids?
- If the children are small: so that they don't get too tired, you may want to choose a short boat trip of about 2 hours instead of a longer one, where you go to the point to see cetaceans so that the children can be amazed by the animals.
- If the children are older: they will surely love to spend as much time as possible on the high seas sailing like real sailors. I recommend a longer excursion of about 3 hours that also has some snorkeling stops to surprise them and they can take a dip in the water. It will be an experience they will not forget!
Before getting your tickets, I advise you to read the article "Whale and dolphin watching in Tenerife" where you will find proposals that will help you choose the best excursion for you.
8. Take advantage of reduced prices for children
When traveling as a family, an important factor in calculating the budget to spend on activities during a trip is the price of excursions. Regarding children's tickets, there are usually very interesting reduced rates that compensate and you can take advantage to save some money.
For example, when you go to book your tickets for a whale watching cruise in Tenerife, in Hellotickets you will have the option to choose the age of the kids, so that the reduced price you will have to pay for each of them will be calculated automatically. It's that easy!