Climbing the Eiffel Tower is one of the essential things to do in Paris essential things to do in Paris during a vacation. It is located on the Champ de Mars and was erected on the occasion of the Universal Exhibition of 1889. Who would have imagined at that time that it would become the emblem of France?
From the viewpoints of the Eiffel Tower you will have fabulous panoramic views of the city. To enjoy this experience you will need to get tickets to the Eiffel Tower and to organize the visit before you have to know how much they can cost. Let's take a look, below.
1. How much do tickets to climb the Eiffel Tower cost?
To organize the budget with which to climb the Eiffel Tower you should keep in mind that the price of tickets will depend primarily on three factors: first if you want to do or not a guided tour, secondly of the levels you want to see and thirdly if you choose to go up by elevator or on foot by stairs.
To see the monument on your own, at the ticket offices you can get an adult ticket from 10 € to go up the stairs (the cheapest option) and from 17 € if you want to ride the elevator. The ticket that covers the section to the top of the Eiffel Tower by elevator is the most expensive and you can get it from 26 €.
If you want to save some money by seeing this attraction for free, my advice is to go for an intermediate option which is the ticket that allows you to climb the stairs to the viewpoint on the second floor and from there take the elevator to the top. You can get the adult ticket from 20 €. It is the best option if you want to see the inside of the monument from top to bottom.
Why do the visit to the Eiffel Tower on your own?
- If you have been to Paris before and you just want to enjoy the views of the city to take some pictures.
- If you know perfectly the history of the Eiffel Tower because you have soaked in the subject watching documentaries or reading books before traveling and do not need a guide to tell you everything again from the beginning.
- If you are traveling to Paris on a tight budget but don't want to miss the opportunity to see the city at your feet.
- If when it comes to sightseeing you like the freedom of being yourself who sets the pace without being conditioned by the rest of the visitors in the group.
Is it worth buying tickets at the Eiffel Tower ticket office?
In my opinion, it is not the best option to wait until you land in Paris to buy tickets at the ticket office. The Eiffel Tower is the most visited tourist attraction in the country so it is very common to see long lines that can last more than an hour.
Even if you are going to spend a long stay of 7 days in Paris or 15 days in Paris, having other alternatives to purchase them it is a shame to waste your valuable time in the city waiting in line when you could be perfectly enjoying other activities such as a cruise on the Seine, exploring the best museums in Paris or taking a sightseeing tour of the French capital. Besides, there's no guarantee that when your turn arrives at the ticket window, they won't be sold out for the date and time you want.
Also, keep in mind that if at the last minute you have a small change of plans in Paris and the visit no longer fits into your schedule, the tickets to the Eiffel Tower are non-refundable.
For all these reasons, my advice is that if you can, simplify things and avoid the long lines at the ticket office to get skip-the-line tickets to the top of the Eiffel Tower.
2. And how much do guided tours of the Eiffel Tower cost?
As for the price of guided tours of the Eiffel Tower, it varies depending on the levels you want to see inside the monument and whether you want to do the guided tour with stairs with the option to climb to the top or the visit to the second level without reaching the top. Let's see it in the table!
- Cheapest option
- Guided tour of the stairs
- From 33 €
- Walking access to the first and second floors of the tower
- Intermediate option
- Guided tour by elevator
- From 43 €
- Entrance to the Eiffel Tower with elevator ride up to the 2nd level.
- More expensive option
- Guided tour to the top by elevator
- From 50 €.
- Ascent to the second floor (on foot or by elevator) and access to the summit (by elevator).
Why take a guided tour of the Eiffel Tower?
- If it is the first time you go to Paris I advise you to take a guided tour of the Eiffel Tower because you will have a greater context about the site you are visiting, its history and its meaning for the French. In short, you will get more out of the experience.
- Instead of reducing the visit to climbing a few stairs and contemplating a nice view, thanks to the work of the guide you will learn a lot of interesting facts about the history of the monument, its construction and structure. Details that may go unnoticed if you do the tour on your own but that in the end make the difference.
- The queues inside the monument to control the flow of visitors inside can sometimes get a bit tiresome and boring. You will be glad that the guide is with you at those times to liven up the wait by telling you very cool things about the Eiffel Tower.
- The guides know the structure of the Eiffel Tower to the millimeter so they will not hesitate to share with you the best locations in their viewpoints so you can take the best pictures of the landscape. They will also help you to better identify the monuments of the Parisian skyline that can be seen from here, such as the Notre Dame Cathedral, the Louvre Museum, the Arc de Triomphe and many more.
- During the guided tour, you can ask your guide all the questions you have about the monument and even ask for recommendations to make the most of your trip to Paris, they are very friendly and always ready to help you!
How to buy tickets for a guided tour of the Eiffel Tower?
If you have decided that a guided tour of the Eiffel Tower is the best option for you, the fastest and most convenient way to book your tickets is to buy them online on websites like Hellotickets. In just a few steps you can choose the one you like and you will receive your voucher in your email. No waiting and no endless queues, it's that simple!
Another advantage of buying them online is that you can do it well in advance of your travel date, which will allow you to choose the date and time that best suits you to better balance this experience with the other activities you have planned that day. In addition, you will avoid the longest lines at the ticket booths of the entire attraction.
Finally, unlike tickets purchased at the box office, tickets for a guided tour of the Eiffel Tower usually have the possibility of cancellation (see details of each activity) which as a tourist is something very positive to value as it allows greater flexibility when organizing your plans in Paris.
3. Can I see the Eiffel Tower at night? How much are the tickets for a night tour?
That's right! The Eiffel Tower at night looks in all its splendor and if you have the opportunity to make a night visit is an experience not to be missed in Paris. From 76 € you can get the ticket at Hellotickets, which includes an audio guide to discover the monument in detail.
Contemplating the skyline of the city illuminated by thousands of colored lights from the highest point of the Eiffel Tower at 276 meters high is a magical feeling. A memory of your stay that you will not forget.
In addition, when night falls the lighting schedule of the monument begins and every hour on the hour it shines for several minutes until dawn. Maybe from inside the attraction you can not appreciate it well but from the base of the tower is a wonderful spectacle. You will not stop recording videos for your social networks!
4. Can I see the Eiffel Tower with a tourist card and how much does it cost?
The Paris Pass includes access to over 60 attractions in the city but unfortunately the Eiffel Tower is not one of them. It is one of the few monuments that cannot be accessed with this tourist card, so you will have to buy separate tickets at the ticket office or online to visit it.
However, I recommend you to buy the Paris Pass to discover many of the main monuments of the French capital such as the Palace of Versailles, the Louvre Museum, the Paris Opera, the Pantheon or the Arc de Triomphe, among many others.
You can get it from 111 € in Hellotickets. To know in depth all the advantages you can benefit from during your trip to Paris, do not miss the post Paris Pass: how it works and what it includes where this tourist card is analyzed in depth.
5. Are there reduced tickets to visit the Eiffel Tower?
At the ticket office
Yes, there are three types of reduced rates at the ticket office that visitors to the Eiffel Tower can benefit from and which apply to certain age groups such as children (from 4 to 11 years old), young people (from 12 to 24 years old) or certain groups such as the disabled.
- Reduced rate for children (from 4 to 11 years old): From 2,70 €.
- Youth reduced rate (from 12 to 24 years old): From 5,40 €.
- Reduced rate for the disabled: From 2,70 €.
In order to benefit from these reduced rates on the price of your tickets, it is necessary to present a voucher at the Eiffel Tower access control, in addition to the tickets themselves. In the case of reduced rates for children and young people you will have to show proof of age (such as a passport or identity card) while in the case of the disabled you will have to show proof of disability (a nominative card).
Guided tours on Hellotickets
- Reduced children's rate: From 29 € depending on age and type of visit.
6. Can I enter the Eiffel Tower for free? Do children pay admission?
No, it is not possible. Only children under 4 years of age can visit the Eiffel Tower completely free of charge (for which a document proving it such as an identity card can be requested). All other visitors must purchase their own ticket.
However, as Paris is one of the most expensive cities in Europe, there is the possibility to take a free tour around the Eiffel Tower to discover everything about this monument without spending a single euro to access the interior.
It is a good option if you are traveling to the city on a tight budget but you also want to enjoy the views of the Eiffel Tower (even if it is from the bottom to the top!).
7. How much does it cost to get to the Eiffel Tower?
If you purchase the Paris Pass you can use the public transport network (metro, bus, the Montmartre tram and RER) for free within zones 1-3. The Eiffel Tower is located in Zone 1.
Otherwise, to go to the Eiffel Tower by metro or bus you can buy a single ticket from 1,90 €.
How to get to the Eiffel Tower by public transport?
- By metro: Line 6 (Bir-Hakeim station), line 8 (Ecoile Militaire station) and line 9 (Trocadéro station).
- By bus: Lines 82 and 42, Eiffel Tower stop.