If you are in Fuerteventura or plan to travel to this destination, you can not miss the fascinating island of Lobos. Undoubtedly, the excursions to this neighboring island are among the best activities to do in Fuerteventura. An excursion to Lobos is the perfect plan if you are looking to relax, enjoy an incredible beach without crowds or practice water sports such as surfing or snorkeling.
I give you an important fact that you should know in advance if you want to visit the island: to enter you need an official permit, because access is limited to only 400 people per day. You can get it in two ways: buying a ticket for one of the excursions, since most of them are included, or on your own from the official website of Lobos. With this authorization, you have a maximum time of 4 hours to tour the island. You can choose between two shifts: from 8 am to 12 pm or from 2 pm to 6 pm.
If you have more than one day to stay in Fuerteventura, in addition to the excursions to Lobos, I recommend you to do one of the following tours Lanzarote Boat Tours from Fuerteventura.
Now yes! join me to tell you the best excursions to do on the island of Lobos coming from Fuerteventura, their costs, duration and much more!
1. Sail by catamaran to Lobos Island from Fuerteventura
Embark on the fabulous catamaran from Fuerteventura to Lobos Island and live an unforgettable experience. This boat tour departs from the port of Corralejo and takes approximately 30 minutes to reach Lobos. The purchase of the ticket for this excursion assures you the official authorization to visit the island.
When the boat stops at the island, you can practice water sports such as paddle surfing, snorkeling, or you can cast a line and try to catch some Atlantic fish. If you are not a fan of physical activities and want to enjoy a trip of total relaxation, you can take a swim in the clear waters of La Concha or Las Lagunitas beaches and sunbathe in these paradisiacal places.
Also, when the midday hour approaches and hunger makes your stomach crunch, the sailboat's chef will make you taste a traditional seafood paella that is finger-licking good!
Finally, after lunch with the other passengers and crew, you will return to Fuerteventura where you can continue with your itinerary of activities to do in Fuerteventura.
Details of interest
- Price: The entrance fee is approximately 67 euros.
- Duration: About 4 hours.
- Means of transport: Catamaran.
- Advantages of this option: Includes snorkeling equipment, paddle surf equipment, two kayaks and fishing equipment; with the entrance fee is included the official authorization to visit the island of wolves; includes seafood paella for lunch.
- Disadvantages of this option: It is not wheelchair accessible.
2. Are you up for Kayaking? Prepare the paddles, we are going to Lobos Island
If you are adventurous and enjoy water sports, this is the ideal excursion for you. If you have never kayaked before, it doesn't matter! A guide will show you everything you need to know to handle the paddles properly.
These kayak tours usually start in the morning from Waikiki beach in Corralejo. If you don't have a way to get there, or don't know how to get there from your hotel, a shuttle will pick you up and take you to the beach. Once there, you will meet your instructor who will give you the paddles and show you the canoe in which you will embark.
The kayak trip from Corralejo to Lobos takes approximately one hour crossing the Bocaina strait that separates the two islands. You will be able to consult with the guide in charge and ask for more information about what you are seeing.
Once on the island, you can snorkel or dive in the crystal clear waters of the Atlantic Ocean and contemplate the fascinating marine diversity, there is everything! Crabs, mussels, schools of bream and many more fish. When you are a little tired from the physical activity, and need to recharge your batteries to continue your day, with the purchase of a tour ticket you will be provided with delicious hors d'oeuvres that will fill your stomach without feeling heavy.
Once you are satisfied, continue your route to Puertito de Lobos and take a dip in its calm waters. Then from here you can get into the kayak and start your way back to Lobos Island. What do you think?
Details of interest
- Price: The entrance fee is approximately 60 euros. If 5, 6 or more people are traveling, ask for promotions.
- Duration: About 5-6 hours.
- Means of transportation: Kayak.
- Advantages of this option: Most tours Include pick-up at your hotel and return transfer; guide service; safety equipment; safety goggles; lunch hors d'oeuvres and drinks; snorkeling equipment (ask for wetsuit); official authorization to visit the island of lobos is included with the entrance fee.
- Disadvantages of this option: Not suitable for children under 16 years old or for people in wheelchairs; if you do not like physical activity I do not recommend this activity.
3. Don't miss this fascinating trip with dolphins to Lobos Island
If you plan to travel to Fuerteventura with your family, this is definitely one of the best activities to do with children.
This tour starts in the morning in a small boat in the port of Corralejo and on its way to Lobos offers to navigate with dolphins playing and jumping from one side to the other, sea turtles and impressive whales. It is an excursion enjoyed by young and old alike. In addition, you will be accompanied by a specialized guide who will inform you about the different characteristics of marine mammals and the flora and fauna of the islet.
When you embark in Lobos, you can visit with your family some of its most famous beaches such as the popular beach of La Concha where I recommend paddle surfing or snorkeling or if you prefer to lie in the sun and relax completely. Next to the beach, you will find the Lobos Island Salt Flats, which is a nice place to take a walk and take some pictures. These salt pans have a peculiarity: although they were built in 1944, they were never put into operation.
At noon time, you can have lunch delicious dishes that are already included with the value of the entrance to the tour and return to Fuerteventura in the same boat outbound.
Details of interest
- Price: The entrance fee is approximately 75 euros per adult. For children from 2 to 11 years old, about 25 euros. Children from 0 to 2 years old are free.
- Duration: About 5-6 hours.
- Means of transportation: speedboat.
- Advantages of this option: Most include pick-up at your hotel and return transfer; guide service; paddle boards; kayaks; lunch and drinks; snorkeling equipment (ask for wetsuit); official authorization to visit the island of lobos is included with the entrance fee; some tours often offer to take underwater photos.
- Disadvantages of this option: Not suitable for children under 16 or wheelchair users; not much seating available.
4. Embark on a ferry to Lobos Island with snorkeling included.
Join a ferry and sail to the island of Lobos with the breathtaking view of its seabed. This vessel departs from the Port of Corralejo in Fuerteventura and takes approximately 15 minutes to reach the island. In addition, the excursion includes the practice of snorkeling with all the corresponding equipment in the crystalline waters of the Atlantic.
In case you feel some dizziness at the edge of the ferry you have nothing to worry about, as the crew is ready to give you the best attention and help you in whatever you need. You will also be offered to enjoy the best refreshments and drinks on board.
When you arrive in Lobos, you have between two and four hours maximum of free time to enjoy different attractions. I recommend some of my favorites: take a dip in the crystal clear waters of its beaches, have a snorkeling experience and have lunch at Antoñito el Farero restaurant. What do you think?
On the other hand, if you book your place on this ferry, you don't have to worry about the authorization to visit the island of Lobos. With the purchase of your ticket, the permit is already taken care of. Excellent!
Details of interest
- Price: The entrance fee is approximately 25 euros for adults.
- Duration: From 2 to 4 hours.
- Means of transport: The transfer is by ferry.
- Advantages of this optionThepermit to visit the island is managed by the organizing company; the friendly and professional treatment of the crew; the snorkeling service with all the equipment included.
- Disadvantages of this option: There is no pick-up service and no lunch service. If you wish to have lunch at the island's restaurant you will have to book in advance and pay for it on your own.
5. Hop on a watertaxi and travel to Lobos Island from Fuerteventura
Reserve your place in the water cab and travel in 10 minutes from Corralejo Port in Fuerteventura to Lobos Island.
Surely you ever used the cab service in your town or when you went on vacation. The car driver picks you up, asks you for the address you are going to and when he arrives at the indicated destination, he charges you a fee for the trip. But how does the watertaxi work? Well, the same. The only difference with the traditional cab service is that instead of driving on asphalt, the driver drives through the crystal clear waters of the Atlantic Ocean surrounded by an endless number of fish.
Once the water cab drops you off at Puertito de Lobos, you have between two and four hours of free time to snorkel, scuba dive and kayak among other fantastic attractions. Remember that it is essential that you do not exceed the four hours allowed in the official permit.
If you choose this excursion to visit the island of Lobos, I suggest you book your ticket in advance because the available seats usually fill up quickly. The ticket includes the round trip transfer but with a disadvantage compared to the other excursions: it does not include the official permit you need to visit the island. You must arrange it on your own.
- Price: The entrance fee for adults can cost up to 15 euros. Children from 2 to 11 years old pay approximately 10 euros. Children under 2 years old do not pay any entrance fee.
- Duration: From 2 to 4 hours.
- Means of transportation: Watertaxi.
- Advantages of this option: It is usually sold round trip ticket in the same package; the treatment of the crew is super friendly; there is more availability of schedules to embark than in the ferry and it is faster.
- Disadvantages of this option: It does not provide official authorization to visit Lobos Island; it does not offer drinks/refreshments or lunch service in Lobos; limited availability of seats.
Things to do in Lobos Island
As I mentioned before, among the best activities to do on Lobos Island are water sports such as surfing, kayaking and snorkeling. But if what you want is to know the island in depth, I advise you to opt for hiking and walk through its unspoiled attractions of urban intervention, its beaches with crystal clear waters and much more!
Hiking in Lobos Island
Although you can do this excursion alone because the trails of Lobos are perfectly signposted, it is advisable to buy one of the tour packages that offer the trip. In addition to the permit to visit the island, most of them include:
- Pick up from and return to your hotel.
- Round trip ferry ticket from Fuerteventura to Lobos Island.
- An English speaking guide to accompany you during the hike.
- Hiking poles.
What are the places you should not miss on the island of Lobos?
Although the permits to visit the island of Lobos from Fuerteventura are granted for four hours, and it may seem little, this time will be enough to give you a tour of the island and fall in love forever with its landscapes and places. I'm going to group the best ones so you don't miss them:
La Concha Beach
This desert beach, considered the best on the island of Lobos, is ideal for relaxing. Its sand is white as flour and the sea water is calm, without waves, and turquoise. Believe me, it has nothing to envy to the Caribbean. If you plan a visit to this beach, I recommend you bring your own food and drink, as it does not have any kind of service.
La Caldera Mountain
This imposing mountain of more than 120 meters high was an ancient virgin volcano and is the highest point of the island. Getting to the top of the mountain is not at all complicated if you are in good general physical condition and have no back or knee injuries to prevent you from doing so. Besides, when you are at the top and contemplate the incredible view of the whole island of Lobos you will see that the effort was worth it.
Antoñito el Farero Restaurant
It is located next to the Puertito and is the only place in Lobos where you can stop for a bite to eat. It is currently run by the family of Antoñito, who was the founder of the restaurant and one of the first inhabitants of the island. Everything stays in the family.
If you are a fan of fish, this restaurant will become your favorite: they specialize in seafood, paella and other seafood. All dishes are super fresh and contain the best quality ingredients. If you don't like fish, you can choose from other snacks or sandwiches of the house.
To get a table, I recommend that you reserve in advance. They are often fully booked as it is the only restaurant on the island and also because of the good reviews of their food.
How to book an excursion to Lobos Island?
To visit the island of Lobos from Fuerteventura, there are several excursions and companies to choose from. Although you can book your place until the day before the trip, I suggest you do not rest on your laurels and do it in time. For two reasons: firstly, the available spaces are limited; and secondly, by booking in advance you can get good promotions that will not be available close to the date of the excursion.