If there is one thing that the beautiful Canary archipelago has in abundance it is beautiful beaches where you can carry out all kinds of water activities. Fuerteventura is ranked as one of the best kayaking destinations in the world due to its endless white sandy beaches and crystal clear waters.
Living a kayaking adventure is considered by travelers as one of the best things to see and do in Fuerteventura. As you will see below, when talking about kayaking in Fuerteventura, alternatives abound and corners with breathtaking landscapes are the order of the day.
1. Kayaking experience in Lobos Island from Fuerteventura.
Considered one of the best places for a kayaking adventure, the Isla de Lobos Natural Park is located just off the north coast of Fuerteventura.
The place is made up of a volcanic islet just 4.5 kilometers long and was once a favorite habitat of Atlantic sea lions.
Visit Isla de Lobos from Fuerteventura is one of the basic experiences that every traveler should carry out on a first visit to the Canary Islands, as its white sandy beaches and the way they contrast with the black volcanic rock create stunning scenery difficult to replicate anywhere else on the planet.
Many local companies offer the traveler this type of experience, including in the price the round trip transfer from Fuerteventura to the island, and all the necessary equipment for kayaking in Isla de Lobos. Many companies also include snorkeling in the reefs surrounding the island.
Limitation of visitors
Keep in mind that Isla de Lobos is a protected area within the Canary Islands, which is why the capacity of people on the island is limited to a maximum of 200 visitors per day.
The companies organizing the excursions manage the necessary permits but I recommend always booking your excursion in advance as soon as you have secured the date of your trip.
Finally, the kayaking adventure with excursion to Isla de Lobos is one of the best activities to do with kids in Fuerteventura.
If you go to the island for a family vacation this shared experience is an ideal alternative, because even if your children do not meet the minimum age required for kayaking they can enjoy the other amusements of the natural park.
- Price: From 60€ per traveler.
- Schedule: These excursions depart from Corralejo, Fuerteventura, between 08h and 09h to take advantage of the day in the reserve.
- Duration of the excursion: Depending on the company you hire it can take from 6 to 8 hours to complete the experience.
- Is experience necessary?: No previous experience is necessary, but it is necessary to have an average physical condition. The trip involves 9 kms in open water and a minimum age of 16 years old is required for participants.
2. Kayaking experience on the West and North Coast of Fuerteventura.
A very popular sea kayaking route in Fuerteventura is the one that takes the group of travelers to know the natural wonders that characterize the West and North Coast of the island of Fuerteventura.
You will find numerous local companies offering similar experiences. Although the specific details vary from one company to another, they generally offer round trip transportation from the hotel to the kayaking site(s), kayaking equipment, snorkeling equipment, refreshments and a certified expert guide.
The excursions admit inexperienced users, but it is mandatory to know how to walk and have the minimum age required, which is usually from 14 or 16 years old.
The North Coast of Fuerteventura is famous for its breathtaking scenery both on land and at sea.
Excursions to this part of the island are very frequent, as places like La Concha beach in El Cotillo or the Great Beaches of Corralejo are considered among the best places for snorkeling and among the best places for diving on the island.
On the West Coast you will find the wildest side and the most real nature of all the Canary Islands.
There you will find a number of real natural treasures that not all travelers have the time to see, including deserted beaches, ancient caves and lava arches.
- Price: Available from 75€ per traveler, this price covers all the necessary equipment to carry out the experience.
- Schedule: Most local companies start the activity around 08h or 09h to make the most of the day.
- Duration of the excursion: Depending on the company you hire, it can last from 7 to 8 hours.
- Is experience required?: No previous experience is required to participate in this type of excursions, however if you are an expert paddler I recommend you to communicate it to the company you hire so they can assign you a group with a higher level and avoid the introductory class of paddling techniques.
3. Kayaking experience on the East Coast of Fuerteventura.
Another sea kayaking experience in Fuerteventura that you should consider are the excursions focused on exploring the eastern part of the island.
Although you will be amazed by the breathtaking scenery of the North Coast and Isla de Lobos, it is well worth visiting the East side of the island to get a more comprehensive and complete view of Fuerteventura.
A different experience
It is an excellent alternative if you have already explored the North Coast and surroundings in another of your trips and are looking for a different experience. Also if your trip includes a stay of several days on the island, such as 4 days in Fuerteventura or more.
The East Coast offers totally different landscapes and is often considered the most rugged side of Fuerteventura. Small fishing villages alternate with numerous ancient lava flows that die directly into the ocean and cliffs that reach 500 meters high.
Some of the best boat trips in Fuerteventura include exploration routes to admire closely the beautiful landscapes of the East Coast.
Many companies divide the groups according to the level of experience, in first time users and experienced users. First-time kayakers receive an orientation class on paddling techniques before entering the waters.
- Price: Around 75€ per traveler
- Schedule: Starting time is usually from 08h or 09h in the morning.
- Duration of the excursion: You should reserve between 7 or 8 hours of your itinerary for this adventure.
- Experience required: No previous kayaking experience is required for this excursion. However, participants must be at least 14 or 16 years old and must be able to swim.
4. Experience kayaking with sail in Corralejo Fuerteventura.
The Natural Park Dunas de Corralejo is one of the most beautiful areas of Fuerteventura.
The calm waters make this area the ideal area for a kayaking activity that goes a little outside the traditional lines and that many local companies in Fuerteventura offer to the more adventurous travelers: kayaking with sail.
If you decide to carry out this experience, it is best to hire the services of a local specialist company to learn the art of sailing in a kayak.
The Fuerteventura companies offering this experience provide the traveler with all the necessary equipment and during the workshop you will acquire, among other things, the following knowledge: basic notions of rescue, basic notions of meteorology, sail handling, handling of the stern daggerboard and centerboard.
- Price: Around 180€ per participant.
- Schedule: Varies depending on the company you hire.
- Duration of the excursion: You should reserve about 4 hours for this experience.
- Is experience required?: Yes, to do this type of adventure you must have experience in kayaking. You can opt for a beginner's class and then carry out this experience.
5. Intensive multi-day kayaking experience in Fuerteventura.
Those travelers who love kayaking and want to experience all that Fuerteventura has to offer, will find in this combined experience what they are looking for and much more. It is also an excellent alternative for those who are looking for a first approach to kayaking and learn from basic concepts to more complex notions.
You will find local companies that offer this type of service, with itineraries of several days of kayaking experience. Workshops can last from 3 to 6 days and can be done in groups of a few participants or in larger groups.
Please note that the longer the number of days, the higher the budget gradually increases. Due to the multi-day itinerary I recommend this adventure mainly for longer trips. If your trip contemplates 5 days in Fuerteventura or less, it is better to opt for some of the experiences explained in the previous points.
However, those travelers with time and budget will find themselves facing an immersive experience that will take them to enjoy the most impressive natural environments that the island of Fuerteventura has to offer, including the Corralejo Dunes, Isla de Lobos and other spectacular landscapes of Fuerteventura.
The best time to carry out this kayaking experience in Fuerteventura is between the months of September and March due to ideal weather conditions.
- Price: Small groups pay 225€ for 3 days experiences and groups of more than 6 participants pay 210€ for 3 days experiences. The price increases according to the number of days.
- Schedule: Varies depending on the company you hire for the experience.
- Duration of the excursion: The workshops available in Fuerteventura range from 3 days to 6.
- Experience required: No, these workshops are designed for all levels of experience. We welcome users who have never touched a kayak or those with experience who are improving their technique.