To enjoy some of the best opera concerts in Venice, you will have to go to prestigious venues and theaters throughout the city, most notably the Ateneo di San Basso and the Palazzo delle Carceri in St. Mark's Square. During concerts you will have the opportunity to enjoy the talents of some of Venice's best opera singers and musicians.
This activity is definitely one of the best things to see and do in Venice because you will get to see and enjoy works by famous composers such as Antonio Vivaldi and Georg Friedrich Händel. By watching these works, you will not only have the opportunity to enjoy good music, but you will also travel back to the golden age of the city. If you prefer, you can also sign up for an exciting live baroque program.
1. Famous operas at the La Fenice Theatre
If there is one theater that should be at the top of this list, it is the Teatro La Fenice, because it is one of the most famous opera houses in the world, having earned its reputation for its architectural beauty, superior acoustics and long history of opera productions.
To contextualize a bit the history of this place, you have to know that La Fenice opened its doors in 1792, but since then it has been destroyed by fires and other calamities, but it has also been rebuilt several times throughout its history, the last one being in 2003. Since then it has been used for opera productions.
Throughout its history, La Fenice has been the setting for numerous world premieres, including Gioachino Rossini's operas "Tancredi" and "Semiramide", Giuseppe Verdi's "La Traviata" and Gaetano Donizetti's "I due Foscari". Nowadays, operas are also presented in its spaces, as well as ballet productions and classical music concerts.
It is a nice place to go not only to see the opera, but also to admire its scenery and walk around, where you can also see incredible tourist sites such as the Basilica of St. Mark. Besides strolling through the exhibition halls, you will have the opportunity to buy some souvenirs in the store inside.
Details of interest
- Price: the prices of the tickets to these shows will depend on the schedule and the type of show, but generally you will have to pay around 11 euros per person to enjoy these events.
- Schedule: La Fenice has a varied program of operas, ballets and concerts throughout the year, but generally the shows are presented from Monday to Sunday between 9:30 and 18:00.
- Location: it is located in the district of San Marco in the countryside of the same name, within the city of Venice.
2. Historical opera concerts at the Doge's Palace
Getting tickets for the Doge's Palace in Venice is a must if you visit the city, because this building has a rich history, it also houses the Opera Museum, which presents several exhibits related to the history of opera. The Doge's Palace is special in the city because it has hosted several musical events and concerts, and of course, opera performances.
Visiting the Doge's Palace will delight you because inside you will be able to see many sculptures and mosaics on display. But beyond that, it is a good place to enjoy good live opera, plus it is a site where the Opera Museum exhibition is located, which is interactive and educational. Inside the exhibition you can see and learn all about opera, but also about the history and culture of Venice.
Regarding the internal structure, the place is special because it offers an authentic and immersive experience of live Italian opera.
Details of interest
- Price: you will have to pay between 13 and 25 euros per person to enjoy this kind of opera event.
- Hours: the venue opens between 9:00 and 19:00 from April to October; while between November and March, the opening hours of this palace are from 9:00 to 17:00.
- Location: the Doge's Palace is located in St. Mark's Square in Venice.
3. Opera concerts and gastronomy at the Villa Pisani
Villa Pisani is a stunning villa located in Stra, north of Venice, in the heart of the Veneto region. What will draw your attention to this villa is the quiet and relaxing atmosphere , where you can enjoy opera performances of the highest level. But the best of all is that in the villa you will not only be able to enjoy incredible opera shows, but also beautiful landscapes.
The villa gives you the opportunity to visit its extensive gardens and you will be able to appreciate some of the most beautiful views of the Venetian countryside. You will have many options for sightseeing, appreciating the architecture and history of the villa. But besides the presentation of opera shows, you will have the opportunity to see art exhibitions or attend cultural events inside the Villa.
On the other hand, if you have not yet gone to know some of the best restaurants to eat in Venice, I recommend you to try some of the food served in this place, to know a little more about the local gastronomy.
- Price: to enter Villa Pisani you will have to pay around 11 euros per person.
- Hours: Generally this place is closed on Mondays. The rest of the days it is open between 9:00 and 18:00.
- Location: Villa Pisani is located in the town of Stra, in the Veneto region.
4. Jewels of the Opera at the Goldoni Theater
One of the jewels you have to visit if you want to witness a good opera show in Venice, without a doubt, is the Teatro Goldoni, which is located in the heart of Venice, in the Veneto region. To this day, this theater has been the scene of many notable theatrical performances, and at the same time has been frequented by famous actors and actresses.
Something special about this place is that it is divided into three levels, while the original baroque style of the time it was built has been maintained to this day. As for the programming of plays and opera performances in the theater, you have to know that plays and musicals in different genres are constantly presented. Operas and zarzuelas are the most common, although you can also enjoy dramas and comedies.
The best of all is that these performances have a lot to do with Venetian culture, because this place is also ideal to live the opera experience and immerse yourself in the rich history and culture of Venice, even more than you would know it if you signed up for a gastronomic tour in Venice.
- Price: the entrance fee is approximately 3 euros per person.
- Hours: the theater is open between 10:00 and 16:00, every day.
- Location: The Goldoni Theater is located in the heart of Venice.
5. Cultural opera concerts at the San Gallo Theater
If you want a much more historical and cultural experience, I recommend visiting the Teatro San Gallo, which is a historic building located in the heart of Venice since the early eighteenth century. Since then it has undergone countless renovations. However, today it is characterized as an important Venetian cultural institution. Inside this place you can go and enjoy a wide range of performances.
Among the most important performances you will see inside this place are opera, ballet, plays and concerts. Prestigious composers such as Antonio Vivaldi and Johann Adolph Hasse have premiered their works here, while famous opera singers such as Maria Malibran and Enrico Caruso have performed there. So you might be able to watch a performer who will later become famous in this theater.
Inside you will be able to take amazing pictures of its beautiful and ornate architecture, as it is built in a baroque style, with intricate frescoes on the ceiling and walls, and elaborate decorations on the balconies and boxes. This is one of the best things to do in the city, after signing up for a gondola ride in Venice.
Details of interest
- Price: to enter the theater you will have to pay around 20 euros per person, although these prices can change according to the type of show, the place where you want to sit, and the time of the performance.
- Hours: visiting hours may vary depending on the season and the particular show.
- Location: The exact address of this theater is Calle Gallo in Venice. This street is in the heart of the city, right next to Piazza San Marco.
6. Popular operas at the Malibran Theatre
Another place where you can enjoy the best opera concerts in Venice is undoubtedly the Malibran Theater, which is a historic site also located in the San Marco district near Rialto. It is often referred to as Teatro di San Giovanni Grisostomo. Its stage has featured popular operas and renowned artists, including operas by Rossini and Verdi, as well as ballet and other stage performances.
Details of interest
- Price: Ticket prices may vary according to each event or performance offered at the venue.
- Hours: You can go to this site from Monday to Sunday between 9:30 am and 6:00 pm.
- Location: The Malibran Theater is located in the San Marco neighborhood, near the Rialto area.
7. Church of San Giacomo di Rialto
If you want to have a cultural opera experience, but at the same time know a place with history, you have to go to see an opera show at the San Giacomo di Rialto Church. This is a place where shows of this style are frequently offered, plus it is a quite popular place among locals and visitors, so it will be a good place to take a couple of pictures before watching the show.
As for its history, it is a place that once served as a baroque church, but today , it works as a perfect place to enjoy all kinds of works, being some of the most popular to see in this place, the classical and famous operas. The repertoire of each event may vary according to the artist performing and other characteristics.
Details of interest
- Price: the entrance to the church itself can be free, while the entrance to an opera show can cost around 30 euros per person.
- Hours: the church is open every day of the week between 9:00 and 12:00 and then between 16:00 and 19:00. Although the schedules of the different opera performances may change.
- Location: the Church of San Giacomo di Rialto is in the district of San Polo, near Rialto square, in the direction of Campo San Giacomo di Rialto.
- You can visit this and other churches in Venice with the Venice Chorus Pass, which gives you skip-the-line access to more than 15 churches in Venice.
8. Vendramin-Calergi Palace
Inside the Vendramin-Calergi Palace, which is one of the most special palaces in Venice, you will have the opportunity to enjoy amazing opera shows, but you can also have some fun in the casino that is inside the Palace facilities. One of the best features of this place is that it is a historic residence, so you can learn about its history and how it has witnessed the transformation of Venice over the centuries.
As for the opera hall inside the palace, it has incredible acoustics, so the experience inside is very special for those who enjoy opera. Among the pieces that you can enjoy in these spaces, you will find some of famous composers such as Verdi, Puccini and Mozart. In this place you will not only go to listen to classical music, but you will also be able to appreciate the beauty and history of the place.
Details of interest
- Price: the prices to see opera performances in this place can range from 25 to 35 euros per person.
- Hours: you can go to an opera concert at this place from 18:00, when the performances start.
- Location: This palace is located on the Grand Canal in the Cannaregio area, which is located in the heart of the city.
9. The Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista
The Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista, is an enclosure in which in the past operated a school, but today serves to present shows of all kinds. Thanks to its facilities with great capacity and good technical details to offer concerts, this is one of the most special places to go to enjoy these shows.
This place not only functions to present plays and operas of all genres, but it is also a popular place to celebrate parties and special seasonal events or even thematic events in which you can participate during your visit to Venice in 3 days or as long as you are staying.
Details of interest
- Price: you will have to pay around 25 euros per person to go and enjoy a good opera show at the Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista.
- Hours: opera performances usually take place in the evening.
- Location: this venue is specifically located in Piazza San Giovanni e Paolo, which is also known as Piazza dei Santi Giovanni e Paolo in the Castello district of Venice.
10. Church of San Vidal
The Church of San Vidal is a baroque style church where you will have the opportunity to enjoy amazing opera concerts in every season of the year. About the space itself, you have to know that it has a stage where artists of all kinds are presented in an intimate and acoustic environment, which makes the experience much more special.
You are going to like the concerts in San Vidal because they offer you a unique experience by being able to enjoy music in an environment as historic and authentic as the church. In addition, this place is a favorite among locals and tourists thanks to its historical importance and its technical and acoustic characteristics.
- Price: tickets to see an opera performance in the concert hall of the Church of St. Vidal usually range from 30 to 45 euros per person.
- Schedule: performance schedules depend largely on the season of the year and the type of work that is presented in the enclosure.
- Location: it is located in the center of Venice, so it will not be very difficult to reach.