Located in southern Italy, Amalfi is one of the jewels of the coast of the same name. This wonderful town hides many treasures and activities, places of unparalleled natural beauty, a local cuisine that will captivate you, hiking areas, museums and much more.
Moreover, if you visit in April, you will enjoy it even more, as the weather becomes more favorable for outdoor activities. You can tour the Amalfi Valle delle Ferriere park, take a boat ride to watch the sunset, visit the nearby beaches, go to the Emerald Grotto, celebrate Easter like a local and discover its streets and monuments. Read on and discover all the options.
1. Join a boat tour in Amalfi
Since April is generally the month of spring in Amalfi, the opportunities for fun and entertainment are varied. One of the options available to you is to book a boat trip along the Amalfi coast
. During your tour you will admire the beaches that can only be reached by sea. In addition, during the tour you can swim, snorkel or dive.
Keep in mind that this experience will not be only visual, as you will enjoy delicious appetizers on board the boat, along with some wines such as Prosecco. All this in the company of your partner, friends or family.
- Price: the cost of this activity starts at 137 € for groups of a maximum of 6 people.
- Duration: the activity can last approximately 4 hours.
2. Take a walk in the Ferriere Valley
Since you are likely to find good weather during April in Amalfi, another ideal option to have fun is to book a trekking excursion to Valle delle Ferriere where you can observe the beautiful reserve that bears the same name and get to know the area from another perspective.
The activity starts at a meeting point where the local guide will give you some instructions and information about the route to follow. Afterwards, you will enter the valley and admire the typical flora and fauna of the region, as well as the historical ruins. You will cross streams and walk through the forest to see the beautiful waterfalls that will appear in your path.
It will certainly be an outdoor experience that you can incorporate into your itinerary of at least 2 days in Amalfi. You will be able to relax, take pictures and, at the same time, do some physical activity.
Information of interest
- Price: the cost of the experience starts at 91€ per person.
- Duration: the route lasts approximately 5 hours.
3. Take the opportunity to walk along the beach or take a kayak tour
In April you will have several sunny days that will allow you to recharge your batteries. One of the best ways to take advantage of the sun is to visit the beaches or enjoy water activities such as a kayak tour in Amalfi. This way, you can enjoy the scenery or take a dip to clear your mind.
Among the best beaches in Amalfi, according to tourists and locals, that you can visit during your stay are the following:
- Marina Grande Beach: it is located a few minutes from Amalfi. You will probably find a certain number of tourists here during the days of April. However, this will not prevent you from enjoying its natural environment.
- Beach of the Sirens: another of the most famous in the region due to its close location, since to reach it you only have to walk for 8 minutes from the center of the city. Its attraction lies in offering tranquility and beauty to its visitors.
- Il Duoglio Spiaggia Beach: it is very lively and is located one kilometer from Amalfi. One of its main attractions is the possibility of practicing different activities and water sports.
4. Live a unique gastronomic experience with a culinary expert
The spring season in Amalfi is also a great time to taste fresh products characteristic of the season. Book a cooking class in Amalfi and learn the keys to Italian cuisine from a culinary expert.
Considered one of the best cooking classes in Amalfi, in this experience you will cook on a terrace overlooking the sea. Generally, the menu includes a starter, a main course (some type of fresh pasta such as Fusilli, Scialatielli or Ndunderi di Minori) and a dessert such as Mamma's English soup, fruit tart and cake with citrus and cream. All this, accompanied by some wine, water or coffee.
Finally, you will sit at the table and taste the dishes, which combine gastronomic technique with family tradition. All this, while having a drink and exchanging ideas about the experience.
Information of interest
- Price: the price of the experience starts at 118 €.
- Schedule: the activity starts at 10 a.m. in the morning.
5. Discover the Emerald Grotto and contemplate its peculiar waters under the spring light
The presence of sunlight for more hours in April is ideal for visiting places like the Emerald Grotto. It is a fascinating cave where the water acquires a peculiar emerald green tone that will leave you fascinated.
To reach this place you can drive for 10 minutes and then go down the stairs or the elevator to the entrance of the grotto. You also have the option of going by sea. To do so, you will sail in a boat for approximately 15 minutes from the marina.
Once inside the Emerald Grotto, you will take a boat tour with the local guide. You will observe various geological formations such as stalagmites and stalactites. In addition, you will be able to take beautiful photographs to capture the color generated by the contact of the sun's rays with the water. These penetrate the cave through the holes between the stones, enhancing the beauty of this magical natural scenery.
Information of interest
- Price: the entrance fee to the cave is usually 7 € per person. If you connect with one of the local operators at the pier, then the price is from 15 € per person.
- Hours: the elevator area is open from 8 am to 4 pm and access by stairs until 8 pm.
6. Tour Amalfi on foot to visit the highlights of this seaside town
Whether you're passing through town during April or plan to spend 3 days in Amalfi or more, you should take advantage of the arrival of spring to wander ancient alleys and revel in the breathtaking views of the cliffs, while discovering the beauties of the historic center.
However, keep in mind that the route may be different, according to the guide and your travel goals. For example, among the main places you can visit are:
- Piazza Duomo, from where I recommend you start your walk. In it, you can see the Fountain of St. Andrew made of marble, as well as the various restaurants and cafes in the surrounding area.
- The Cathedral of St. Andrew, with its imposing structure that mixes various artistic styles and endless staircases.
- The facades of the white houses, which reflect the sunlight and give a special look to the whole area.
- The church of Santa Maria Maddalena, which due to its location receives tourists from both Amalfi and Atrani.
7. Celebrate the Pasquetta, the feast of Easter Monday in Amalfi
If you find yourself in Amalfi during the month of April, your visit will probably coincide with the celebration of Pasquetta. This is a holiday celebrated every Monday following Easter Sunday.
During this religious and also civil holiday, many activities take place. Such is the case of gatherings with friends and family, outdoor picnics and walks in the surroundings. All this, to enjoy the arrival of spring to the fullest. It will be enough to walk through some streets downtown to observe the festive atmosphere, where locals and tourists enjoy this day eating and drinking in bars, restaurants and cafes.
Because this activity usually coincides with the spring season, you will have a pleasant and warm weather, different scenarios full of colors, vegetation in all its splendor and lots of sunlight. Thus, it is an excellent opportunity to sign up for one of the best tours in Amalfi.
8. Visit the Museo della Carta and learn how to make handmade paper
The Museo della Carta is one of the attractions that offers full access to its activities during the month of April. Therefore, it is an excellent opportunity to get to know its facilities and sign up for an immersive experience to learn how to make handmade paper.
Papermaking was key to making Amalfi a prosperous town and this practice continues to this day. For this reason, the Museum displays some ancient instruments used in the production process of this material, including wooden mallets, printing presses, among others.
Likewise, during your tour you will see a variety of manuscripts, old documents, etc. You can also visit the library, which contains some special editions for historians and professors.
Information of interest
- Price: the entrance fee starts at 4,50 € for adults and around 3 € for children under 12 years old. The visit with hands-on experience usually costs about 6 €. There is also an exclusive visit option for around 12 €.
- Hours: from 10 am to 6:30 pm, in general. Hours may vary according to the season.
- Location: Via delle Cartiere, 23, 84011 Amalfi.
9. Participate in a photo shoot with a photographer of the city
Whether you are just passing through or decide to stay 4 days in Amalfi or more, you should take advantage of the vibrant colors of spring and participate in a photo shoot led by a professional guide. You will walk the streets of this seaside town in search of the best scenery.
All you need to do is meet the photographer at a pre-arranged location. He will show you some techniques to create photographic compositions, while mentioning some of the places you will visit. This way, you will have beautiful images in Amalfi.
Among the emblematic places that could serve as backdrops for your photographs are the Fountain of St. Andrew, the Piazza del Duomo, the facade of the Cathedral, the breakwater of Via Lungomare dei Cavalieri, the beach Lido delle Sirene and the houses with white facades.
10. Taste one of the traditional gelattos in the heart of the city
The spring season in the city is very convenient for tasting the traditional gelattos, which you can try in various places, but especially in the ice cream parlors located around Piazza Duomo. This way, you can relax no matter if it is morning or afternoon, while watching the passing of tourists and the beauty of the place.
As soon as you get to the square, just look around at the gelato offer and choose the one you find most interesting. In any case, I recommend below some gelaterias with tradition in the city:
- La Pasticceria Andrea Pansa,, an establishment with a family history whose origins date back to 1830. It is located near the fountain of San Andres and you can taste artisan gelattos and other desserts.
- Al Corso ice cream parlor, a rather simple but very well known place among the locals. Its offer includes artisanal gelattos with delicious flavors, as well as a striking natural yogurt. It is located near the cathedral.
Keep in mind that this activity is an excellent option if you are traveling with children. Another advantage is that you won't have to go far from the center to find a gelatteria, so you can easily include it among the things to do in Amalfi at night.
Temperatures in Amalfi in April
Temperatures in Amalfi in April can be between 17 °C and 21 °C, with a maximum of 25 °C. Likewise, the days with lower temperatures register a range between 10 °C and 13 °C, having a minimum level of 7 °C. An ideal climate to enjoy all the things to do in Amalfi.
This month covers the transition period between winter and summer, which officially begins in the previous month. Therefore, as the days go by there is an increase in temperature and the number of sunny days, which reach their peak from June onwards.
Alternative plans to protect yourself from the heat in Amalfi in April
Although you won't necessarily face excessive heat during April days, it is important to take some precautions, as you will be in direct contact with the sun's rays. So, make sure you always have sunglasses and sunscreen on hand and try to use these products frequently.
On the other hand, hydration is essential, so you should always carry a bottle of water with you. Likewise, try mainly to choose outdoor spaces, as they circulate more wind and so you will never feel an oppressive level of heat.