An excursion is one of the best things to do in Salzburg and a fun way to venture out and get to know the city and its surroundings. It is also an ideal plan to share with friends or family, as well as for romantic getaways. You can visit the Eagle's Nest, Hallstatt, the Chapel of the Silent Night and the Bavarian Mountains, saving several euros in the process.
Most of the excursions available from Salzburg allow you to visit these destinations in a short time, at an affordable cost. It is ideal if you plan to visit Salzburg in two days or more, as you will be able to make the most of your stay. Here are the best excursions from the city!
1. Excursion to Berchtesgaden and the Eagle's Nest from Salzburg
From the heights Salzburg looks truly breathtaking. It is completely worth it, as from the moment you leave the city you will be able to enjoy the alpine scenery.
This type of guided tour offers you the opportunity to discover one of the most important peaks in the region. This is Berchtesgaden, a mountain that was very relevant in the Second World War and where you will find the construction known as the Eagle's Nest, a chalet-like monument built in 1939.
This place is specifically known as it was the mountain and place of Hitler's retreat, so you can learn a little about the history of this Nazi leader. Note that it is located half an hour from the center of Salzburg and very close to the German border. To get there you can take advantage of the blue route of the Salzburg tourist bus tour.
Here you will also have the opportunity to explore at your own pace, as it is usually a free stop. Its views are breathtaking, as it has a revolving restaurant. It is ideal if you are looking for things to do in Salzburg in winter.
Some places to visit
- Hellbrunn Castle: from the mountains you can appreciate this imposing castle, if you have enough time I invite you to get closer.
- The Königsee lake valley: also known as the King's Lake, it is an oasis located between Germany and Austria. It is a tourist region where many people spend the summer.
- Obersalzberg: it is a mountain village, surrounded by small farms. You can find areas where to stay, in case you want to spend the night.
- Hoher Göll Mountain: it is located on the way to the Eagle's Nest, it is an ideal area for mountaineering or hiking.
Details of interest
- Price: from 94 euros per person.
- Duration: approximately five hours.
- Means of transportation: includes round trip transfer, the tour is done in an air-conditioned bus.
- Advantages of this option: the excursions are accompanied by an expert guide.
- Disadvantages of this option: these activities are not suitable for people with health problems, and you run the risk of suffering from altitude sickness.
2. Excursion to Hallstatt from Salzburg
On this type of tour from Salzburg you can experience the best alpine destinations in the Salzkammergut, a mountainous district in one of the highest areas of Austria. Here you can explore at your own pace and get to know some of the most emblematic sites.
During this tour you will fall in love with its landscapes, culture and traditions. The Narzissenfest, or Narzissenfest, is held here between May and June. During these dates you can taste sweets made with daffodils and marvel at the spring decorations.
Places to visit
- The historic town of Hallstatt is considered a UNESCO heritage site. It is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful areas in Austria, as it is located on the banks of the river. If you are planning things to do in Salzburg in winter, you can take advantage of the best markets, festivals and nature shows.
- The salt mines, which are approximately 7,000 years old, can be explored in the miners' train. Upon entering you will find impressive subway labyrinths.
- The Muhlbach Falls offer the highest waterfall in Europe. They are ideal for adventurers, since here you can practice diving, hiking or cycling.
- Lake Gosau allows you to enjoy a quiet and relaxing walk. It offers captivating views that you cannot miss.
- The Skywalk is the highest viewpoint in town, so it offers a panoramic view.
Details of interest
- Price: from 70 euros per person.
- Duration: about six hours.
- Means of transportation: round-trip transfers in an air-conditioned vehicle are included, as well as the bus tour. The cost of the cable car to access the Skywalk is not usually included.
- Advantages of this option: you can tour the town of Hallstatt at your own pace.
- Disadvantages of this option: In the off-season, certain sites of interest in Hallstatt may be closed.
3. Excursion to the Bavarian Mountains from Salzburg
Explore the natural majesty of the Bavarian Mountains on an exciting half-day excursion from Salzburg. Located on the border between Austria and Germany, this mountainous region offers spectacular scenery and a perfect getaway for nature and adventure lovers.
You will have the opportunity to take in the mountains, impressive snow-capped peaks and meadows dotted with wildflowers. In the surrounding area you can also visit towns such as Berchtesgaden and Obersalzberg, where summers are mild and do not exceed 20°.
The Bavarian mountains are located high above the border, offering breathtaking views. The best time to visit is in winter, although you should be warm and prepared for the altitude.
Details of interest
- Price: from 60 euros per person.
- Duration: about four hours.
- Means of transport: includes round trip from a strategic point in Salzburg.
- Advantages of this option: these are experiences that include the company of a professional guide.
- Disadvantages of this option: tips are not included.
3. Excursion to the Bavarian Mountains and salt mines from Salzburg
Among the best things to do in Salzburg is a visit to the Bavarian salt mines. It is an ideal adventure for all ages, so it can't be missing in your itinerary if you are traveling with your family.
Accommodation in the mountains and mines is really expensive. To save a few euros, you can hire an excursion from the city, in a comfortable and safe transport. You will be able to visit the most important parts of this area in a short time. It is ideal if you plan to visit Salzburg in 1 day.
With this activity you are free to decide when to do it, as the visit to this Bavarian mine is available day or night, you can discover its stories and venture through the Bavarian Alps.
- Price: from 75 euros per person.
- Duration: approximately four hours.
- Means of transport: transfers are by air-conditioned bus.
- Advantages of this option: it allows you to save money, since it is a round trip, you will not have to pay for lodging.
- Disadvantages of this option: it does not include tips.
4. Excursion to the Silent Night Chapel from Salzburg
The Silent Night Chapel is a very special place, as it was here that the Silent Night song was first sung in 1818, later toured the world and was translated into more than 300 languages.
This chapel is located approximately 20 kilometers from the city, so it will take you about twentyminutes to get there. If you are on your own, you can use the train line 3 or the bus line 210, as they are cheaper options to move within the city. You can also take advantage of Salzburg' s blue tourist bus route that will take you to your destination.
If you are looking for things to do in Salzburg in December, you can take advantage of this experience on Christmas Eve. It is a magical night that allows you to listen to Austrian carols, participate in a thanksgiving mass and experience a winter Christmas right out of a postcard.
- Price: from 65 euros per person.
- Duration: about 4 hours.
- Means of transport: transfers are usually by coach.
- Advantages of this option: it is one of the best things to do in Salzburg in winter, as it is only twenty minutes from the center.
- Disadvantages of this option: in December it is usually very crowded.
5. Salzburg Super Saver: day trip to the Bavarian Mountains, including salt mines and the Eagle's Nest
To experience the best vacation in Austria, I recommend you take advantage of this experience that takes you on three excursions. You will be able to tour iconic sites, in a perfectly condensed itinerary. It is ideal if you plan to visit Salzburg in at least two days.
These excursions will take you to the Bavarian Mountains, which are located between the Austrian and German Alps. You can spend the afternoon exploring or take a swim in the Königssee Lake, in case you plan the activity in summer. You won't have to worry about anything, as your guide will make sure to take you to the right places
Don't miss the opportunity to climb Kehlsteinhaus, a historical site known as the Eagle's Nest. It is surrounded by small villages and can be accessed from a hiking trail. For this type of excursion I recommend you to be in good physical condition. The famous salt mines are also located in this area.
Details of interest
- Price: from 144 euros per person.
- Duration: approximately nine hours.
- Means of transportation: these tours are done in a comfortable, air-conditioned vehicle. Please note that pick-up and return to the hotel is not usually included.
- Advantages of this option: these are complete experiences, as you will visit three destinations in less than a day.
- Disadvantages of this option: not recommended if you plan to visit Salzburg in one day, as you will not have time to explore the city.
Tips for an excursion from Salzburg
Hire a guide
Austria is a safe country where you can venture out on your own. However, if it's your first time visiting the city and you want to take advantage of the best things to do in Salzburg, I recommend opting for a guided experience. A tour will save you time and money, plus you won't have to worry about the itinerary or transportation.
Excursions outside Salzburg mostly focus on alpine destinations, lakes or nearby towns. If you want to visit two countries at the same time, this is possible thanks to the fact that the city borders Germany. You can visit the German state of Bavaria, which offers a lot of fun activities.
Use GPS or a map
Regardless of whether you opt for a guided experience or on your own, it is always important to have a map of the city at hand. Free WiFi is available in some locations, as well as telephone services for tourists.
Outside the city, the Internet may fluctuate or you may run out of battery, so don't rule out either option. Carry a physical map, download it to your phone or use GPS. This way, you will always be located and you will be able to hike without problems.
Additionally, if you want to learn how to get to Vienna from Salzburg, you can locate apps that track the best transportation or hire a round-trip tour.
Purchase life insurance
For most Austrian activities, they ask you for health insurance or life insurance. Without this paper, you cannot access the excursions. It is a form of prevention, as you will be traveling through mountains, climbing steep trails and facing very high areas.
An insurance will cover your medical expenses, something indispensable in case you suffer from altitude sickness, or need immediate medical assistance. Additionally, if you are going to take an excursion to the mountains, I recommend resting well the hours before, to avoid altitude sickness. If you are planning things to do in Salzburg with children, this is a must.
Be prepared for an emergency
In the mountains or alpine destinations, it is always important to be equipped. When booking a guided tour your guide or tour promoter will ask for a hiker's kit depending on where you are going. In some cases, it may be included in the cost or for an extra fee.
In summer it is advisable to bring sunscreen, hydration, personal medication or medication for general discomfort, comfortable sneakers and appropriate clothing, among others. Additionally, in winter you should dress warmly, as temperatures are extreme.
Get the Salzburg Card
The Salzburg Card is a tourist card, ideal for your vacation in the city. It allows you to save money, as well as unlimited access to attractions and transportation.
It can be a very useful resource during your excursion around Salzburg. Moreover, it is not essential to book in advance (except for the high season).
You can buy it in hotels, train stations and at the airport, so it is accessible. It is activated after the first use and you can choose its duration, depending on how many days you plan to stay in Salzburg.
Avoid the rainy season
From May to September it tends to rain quite a bit in Salzburg, which makes certain excursions difficult. It is not the best time to plan outdoor activities. In addition, roads may be closed during storms.
You can check with your guide, so that only those experiences that can be done, regardless of weather conditions, are available. If your visit coincides with the rainy season, you can take the Salzburg sightseeing bus tour, which allows you to hop on and off at any point.
What will I see on this type of tour?
The destinations to visit are your choice, I recommend you to take the opportunity to visit the Austrian Alps. These destinations are usually expensive if you stay here, as their luxurious cabins offer the best views.
Note that there are excursions to many destinations that include lakes, mountains, villages and more. If you wish, you can take the opportunity to visit Vienna from Salzburg, or escape to the German border of Bavaria.
A comparison of the different excursions from Salzburg
- Excursion to Berchtesgaden and the Eagle's Nest from Salzburg
- From 94 euros per person
- About five hours.
- Advantages: with an expert guide.
- Disadvantages: not suitable for people with health problems.
- Excursion to Hallstatt from Salzburg
- From 70 euros per person
- Approximately six hours
- Advantages: you have free time to explore Hallstatt
- Disadvantages: in the off-season some sites are often closed
- Excursion to the Bavarian Mountains and salt mines from Salzburg
- From 75 euros per person
- About four hours
- Advantages: you can save several euros, as it is round trip, you will not have to pay for accommodation.
- Disadvantages: Tips are not included
- Excursion to the Silent Night Chapel from Salzburg
- From 65 euros per person
- Approximately four hours
- Advantages: offers a cancellation policy of up to twenty-four hours
- Disadvantages: in December it tends to be very busy
- Salzburg Super Saver day trip to the Bavarian Mountains, salt mines and the Eagle's Nest.
- From 144 euros per person
- About nine hours.
- Advantages: it's a complete experience, as you'll tour three destinations around Salzburg in less than a day.
- Disadvantages: not suitable for short itineraries, especially if you want to visit the city.
- Bavarian mountain tour from Salzburg
- From 60 euros
- Approximately four hours
- Advantages: with a professional guide
- Disadvantages: Tips are not included