There is much to see in La Gomera, not only in terms of natural treasures but also in terms of its gastronomy, an authentic and diverse cuisine in its ingredients that is reflected in the character of its dishes.
Enjoying the local gastronomy is another way to do tourism on the island and to understand its culture. There are options for all tastes and pockets. If you want to spend a pleasant time tasting genuine Gomeran food, take a look at these 10 restaurants in La Gomera that will make your getaway a memorable experience.
Gastro-Tasca Estadio, a local experience
This restaurant located in the municipality of Hermigua is a lovely place to sit down to eat and take a break on your route, especially if you are coming from hiking around the island or booking an excursion to La Gomera from Tenerife
The food at Gastro-Tasca Estadio is fantastic, simple and tasty. And if you go with children you can find hamburgers and sandwiches.
Many local people come to this restaurant, as the staff is friendly and contributes to create a pleasant atmosphere.
- Where it is: Carretera General De Hermigua 129, Hermigua, 38820, La Gomera
- Recommended dish: cod in leek and seafood sauce, garlic mushrooms, chicken in sauce and almogrote.
- Ideal for: families, couples and alone.
Bodegón Restaurante Agana and its typical food
The food is spectacular, the portions are abundant and the prices are quite reasonable.
The treatment of the staff is pleasant and fast, which is appreciated if you arrive hungry, as it takes very little time to give you a table. The restaurant is well kept and clean.
Details of interest
- Where it is: Avenida Guillermo Ascanio Moreno 5, 38840 Vallehermoso, La Gomera
- Recommended dish: escaldón de gofio, watercress stew, tripe, ribs with potatoes or grilled cheese.
- Ideal for: couples and families.
Tasca Las Cruces, a place at a very good price
If you like traditional restaurants, in the old town of Agulo you will find Tasca Las Cruces, a small bar where you can eat the best of the traditional cuisine of La Gomera at affordable prices.
It is a place with a cozy and very quiet atmosphere. The staff is attentive and they do their best to make you feel at ease during your meal. This restaurant does not have many tables so I advise you to book before you go.
- Where it is: Calle de Pedro Bethencourt 15B, 38830 Agulo, La Gomera
- Recommended dish: Tuna in mojo sauce, almogrote, avocado omelette, wrinkled potatoes, cuttlefish or salad.
- Ideal for: Families, couples and alone.
Casa Efigenia, a vegetarian option
Going to this restaurant in Las Hayas is an experience. The quality of the food is excellent and its recipes will allow you to connect with the gastronomic tradition of the island at a very good price.
In addition, the history of this place full of memories is striking, where you can still talk to Doña Efigenia, the owner, who started her business in the late 40s and since then has not stopped receiving customers.
The dishes at La Montaña - Casa Efigenia are tasty, healthy and made exclusively with products from the garden (no fish or meat), which is an option to consider for vegetarians.
- Where it is: Ctra de Las Hayas-Arure, 38892 Las Hayas, La Gomera
- Recommended dish: watercress stew, the puchero menu, goat cheese with jam or almogrote.
- Ideal for: families, couples and alone.
Sal & Pimienta and its incredible views
If during your stay in La Gomera you are looking for a quiet restaurant with a cool atmosphere where you can relax for lunch, Sal & Pimienta in Valle Gran Rey is a great option.
It is a fairly spacious place with spectacular views, perfect if you are traveling with a group of friends or with the family, as they have a children's play area for the kids to entertain themselves for a while after eating.
The dishes are carefully presented and the restaurant staff is friendly. Don't leave the restaurant without trying one of their delicious cocktails, they are the finishing touch to a great meal!
- Where: Avenida El Llano, 29, 38870, La Gomera Spain
- Recommended dish: The pizzas, the pasta with almogrote or the Sal y Pimienta salad.
- Ideal for: families and groups.
Roger's Café for something quick
You will find this very original little café in the capital of the island, San Sebastián de La Gomera. The striking thing about this place is that its owner, Roger, is also the waiter and the cook, and believe it or not, the food comes out quickly!
The atmosphere in the place is quiet and pleasant, perfect for couples or groups of friends. The menu at Roger's Café is simple and not too extensive.
- Where it is: Calle de la República de Panamá 3, 38800 San Sebastián de la Gomera, La Gomera
- Recommended dish: The Roger's hamburger and the sweet and savory crepes.
- Ideal for: Friends and couples.
Pension Victor and its abundant dishes
Pensión Víctor is the place to go in San Sebastián de la Gomera if you want to have lunch with typical Gomeran food, but homemade and made to order.
The dishes are plentiful, so you won't leave hungry. There are even vegetarian options, so it is an interesting place to consider in the capital of the island.
The treatment is pleasant and the quality-price ratio is unbeatable. The place is quite nice and original with an interior dining room that almost looks like a terrace. To repeat!
- Where it is: Calle Real 23, 38800 San Sebastián de la Gomera, La Gomera
- Recommended dish: watercress stew, almogrote, wrinkled potatoes, grilled cheese with palm honey.
- Ideal for: alone and couples.
Bar Restaurante Victoria and its homemade desserts
If you are looking for traditional recipes in La Gomera, elaborated with quality raw materials and a lot of care, you cannot miss Bar Restaurante Victoria during your stay on the island.
The staff is very friendly and the place is spotless. In addition, Bar Restaurante Victoria has a very varied wine list.
As for the prices, they are quite economical. The overall experience is to repeat the next trip to La Gomera.
- Where it is: Carretera General de El Cercado - Chipude, 38869 El Cercado, La Gomera
- Recommended dish: the chickpeas, grilled cheese with mojo and liver in sauce. and their desserts!
- Ideal for: Alone, friends and couples.
Tasca Restaurant El Carraca and its quickness
If you are visiting the town of Vallehermoso during your trip to La Gomera and you have the itch, I recommend you to go to the restaurant El Carraca.
It is a small but cozy place where you can eat deliciously. The waiters are very attentive at all times and make recommendations from their menu according to the tastes of the customer. The service is efficient and the dishes arrive promptly, something that is appreciated when hunger presses.
The quality-price ratio is more than adequate.
- Where: C/ Nueva Creacion s/n (Pedestrian street towards the Church), 38840 Vallehermoso, La Gomera
- Recommended dish: black tomato with garlic, eggplants with palm honey, vegan croquettes or scrambled eggs.
- Ideal for: alone, friends and couples.
Pizzeria Gondola, the best pizzas of the island
Everybody likes pizzas and those of Pizzeria Gondola in the municipality of Valle Gran Rey will surprise you. It will be difficult to choose just one! In addition, some of them have a fusion style of other cultures such as Asian, Peruvian or Mexican.
But they also have other dishes beyond the pizzas that will not disappoint you. The waiters are professional and helpful and the place is very cozy. As for the prices, they are quite reasonable.
Details of interest
- Where: calle vueltas nº3, 38870, La Gomera, Spain
- Recommended dish: sea bream tempura, traditional ceviche, black rice with squid or paella with rabbit and boletus.
- Ideal for: Friends, family and couples.
Typical dishes of La Gomera that you will want to taste
Although La Gomera is the second smallest island of the Canary Islands, it has a great gastronomic richness based on local products that have given rise to one of the tastiest cuisines of the archipelago. Among its most typical dishes we can highlight:
- The almogrote: pate of aged cheese and slightly spicy Canarian mojo. Perfect as an appetizer to enjoy it spread on bread and with a glass of wine.
- Papas arrugadas: boiled and unpeeled potatoes served with the traditional sauces of mojo picón and mojo verde.
- El potaje de berros: stew with or without meat (pork ribs), corn and accompanied by a little gofio.
- El gofio escaldado: it is made with meat or fish broth over which gofio is poured and then kneaded. It is usually served as a starter.
- Guarapo: the sweet sage that is extracted from the Canary Island palm tree and is very reminiscent of honey. It can also be used in meats.
- Torta de vilana: it has a texture between pudding and sponge cake made with potatoes, almonds and raisins, among other ingredients.
- Gofio mousse: a simple dessert made with gofio, almonds and guarapo that will delight the sweet tooth.
How much budget do you need to eat in La Gomera?
There are options adapted to all budgets to eat. Depending on what you are looking for you can go to fast food restaurants where you can order for less than 10 €, go to tapas bars where you can eat portions for less than 20 € or even in hotels for which you may need a larger budget.
Mealtimes and restaurants in La Gomera
Meals take place between 1PM and 3 PM, while dinners take place between 8:30 PM and 11 PM.
If you want to go to eat at a particular restaurant in La Gomera, I advise you to do a Google search or search on the social networks of each restaurant before booking a table to find out the opening hours of the establishment, as well as the days they are closed for rest or holidays.
How tipping works in restaurants in La Gomera
Unlike in other countries, tipping in restaurants at the end of a meal is not mandatory in Spain.
However, it is customary to tip in restaurants depending on the generosity of the customer, how satisfied he/she is with the service and the total amount of the meal.
If you are very happy with the service when you eat at a restaurant in La Gomera, I recommend you do so to let the waiters and chefs know that they made an effort and did a good job.