Considered one of the best things to do in Berlin, the history tours in the city are designed to give the traveler a much more comprehensive view that unites today's Berlin with its historical version.
You will discover the city, as well as its many places of interest, in a guided tour that will allow you to really learn about the events that, in other times, took place in those spaces as well as their political and social context.
As you will see, the options for historical tours in Berlin are abundant, interesting and above all, diverse!
Historical tour of the Third Reich sites in Berlin.
If you are passionate about history or, specifically, historical events related to World War II, the historical tour of the infamous Third Reich is a tour you simply can't miss.
Often rated by travelers and locals alike as one of the best things to see and do in central Berlin, this tour will take you through the highlights of Berlin's Nazi past, accompanied at all times by a guide who specializes in history.
Although the specific aspects of the tour may vary slightly depending on the tour operator you hire, this type of excursion usually takes the group of travelers to see landmarks such as Hitler's own bunker, the former Gestapo barracks, the Anhalter Bahnhof station (now in ruins) and much more.
If your stay in the city is going to be short, 3 days in Berlin or less, you should seriously consider dedicating part of your itinerary to an experience of this type. You will be pleasantly surprised.
- Hours: Available at various times.
- Price: Around 25€ per traveler for group tour options.
- Duration of tour: Depending on the company you choose, the tour can take between 3 and 4 hours to complete.
- Means of transportation: These tours are done on foot in small groups of travelers.
Historical tour of Cold War Berlin.
The Cold War Berlin tour is a historical tour designed to introduce you to a much more recent stage in the history of this German city.
You will find numerous local companies in the city that offer the experience. With a local expert guide, you will have the opportunity to learn the facts in a different way than the history books tell it. All this while strolling through Berlin.
Although the itinerary may vary slightly depending on the company you hire for the experience, in general terms you can expect to live several of these experiences: Visit the Berlin Wall, Charlie Checkpoint, see tunnels 57 and 29, visit Admiralspalast, learn about the Palace of Tears and much more.
This list includes only a few key landmarks to understand the historical period that happened after WWII, but thanks to the guide's explanations you will be able to get a pretty accurate idea of what happened during that period.
- Schedule: These tours usually take place in the morning to make the most of the day. If your stay in Berlin will be 4 days, you can accommodate the experience without major problems.
- Price: Around 20€ per participant.
- Duration of the tour: The tour usually takes 3 hours or a little more to complete.
- Means of transportation: It is a walking tour through the city of Berlin. You will have to walk and stand for a long time so comfortable shoes are essential.
Historical bike tour: the best of Berlin.
With this tour option you will be able to take an original historical tour that takes a group of travelers to get to know Berlin aboard one of their favorite means of transportation: the bicycle.
This type of experience is among the best bike tours in Berlin due to the extensive itinerary it includes. Among other things, you will be able to learn about the 3rd Reich of Nazi Germany, see the most important monuments of the Cold War and tour the most popular historical neighborhoods of the city
The tour is offered by many local companies, in small groups that usually do not exceed 10 participants. Led by a local history expert guide, the tour takes you through Berlin to learn about the historical aspect, but also to appreciate the everyday life of the people.
Walking and cycling are together the best alternatives to get to know Berlin. The city's topography is not very hilly and the wide, tree-lined sidewalks make it easy to get around even during the summer in Berlin, one of the busiest times of the year for tourists.
- Schedule: The tour can be carried out at various times, although generally the organizing companies choose the morning schedule to take advantage of the cooler temperature.
- Price: Around 40€ per participant. The price includes the rental of all the equipment necessary for the experience.
- Duration of the excursion: The experience can last between 3 or 4 hours. I recommend reserving half a day of your itinerary for this tour.
- Means of transportation: The entire tour, from the meeting point to the last stop, is done by bicycle.
Historical tour of the Jewish Quarter in Berlin.
With this historical tour option you will be able to enjoy Berlin's Jewish culture, learn about the most important aspects of its history and, of course, about the dark times of Nazism.
With an expert guide you will get to know the best of Berlin's Jewish Quarter, including sites like the New Synagogue or the Jewish cemetery, but also the effects of numerous historical events like the famous "Night of the Broken Mirrors".
It is a short historical tour that you can do even on a quick trip to Berlin. If you are staying 2 days in Berlin and want to do something different, sign up for this experience.
- Schedule: Available at various times throughout the day.
- Price: Varies depending on the company you hire but you can budget around 18€ per participant.
- Duration of excursion: Reserve at least 3 hours of your itinerary for this experience.
- Means of transportation: This tour is conducted on foot through the streets of the old Jewish quarter of Berlin.
Historical tour to Sachsenhausen from Berlin.
Just 1 hour from the German capital is one of the most famous concentration camps of the Nazi regime: Sachsenhausen-Oranienburg. It is estimated that around 200,000 prisoners passed through its terrifying rooms.
Excursions to visit the Sachsenhausen concentration camp are organized from the city. If you are a history buff or if you are simply looking to learn more about the events that shaped today's Germany, this is a visit you should not miss.
During your visit you can explore each of the rooms of the place accompanied by an expert historian guide, in addition to hearing incredible stories about the prisoners who lived here, the many acts of bravery that took place and also the many atrocities.
For this and other reasons, a visit to Sachsenhausen-Oranienburg is considered by tourists and locals alike to be one of the best tours and excursions from Berlin.
- Schedule: Usually these tours leave Berlin in the morning.
- Price: Around 35€ per participant.
- Duration of the excursion: It is an excursion of approximately 6 hours.
- Means of transportation: To get to Sachsenhausen from Berlin you will have to take a minibus. Inside the facility the tour is on foot.
Historical tour: politically incorrect tour of Berlin.
Travelers with a darker sense of humor and who appreciate experiences outside the traditional norms will enjoy the rude bastards tour of Berlin, a historical tour full of bad words and jokes in bad taste.
If your city vacation takes you to Berlin for 5 days or more, I recommend this experience as a fun way to get to know Berlin and to complement any of the other historical city tours.
The person in charge of the tour is an expert local guide who takes travelers through the historical landmarks, but adding elements of irony and humor that you won't find on a traditional tour.
The experience has a limited number of participants, so it is advisable to book in advance, especially if you are going to Berlin in June or August, which coincides with the peak tourist season.
- Schedule: Available at various times.
- Price: It is an economical tour of approximately 5€ per participant.
- Duration of tour: You should reserve about 3 hours for the experience.
- Means of transportation: This tour takes place on a walking tour through the streets of the city.
Historical tour of Potsdam from Berlin.
Declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site, getting to know the city of Potsdam from Berlin is an adventure for lovers of history and architecture.
Tours are organized from Berlin that allow travelers to see the highlights of the place in a single day tour.
Explore the historic area of northern Germany that was under the control of the formerPrussian Kingdom. Although it became part of the new German state, Prussia was once the most economically and militarily powerful.
As you explore the historical facts of the past, you will marvel at the impressive architecture of the Sanssouci Palace, the beautiful accompanying gardens and the particularities of the mythical Dutch Quarter.
- Schedule: These tours leave the German capital early in the morning to take advantage of the best hours of the day.
- Price: Around 55€ per participant.
- Duration of the tour: Varies depending on the company you hire, between 4 and 6 hours on average.
- Means of transportation: You will take private transportation from Berlin and make numerous stops to see the highlights of Potsdam.
Full day historical tour of Berlin.
Another Berlin historical tour alternative is one that provides an immersive tour of the city, as well as the highlights that every traveler should know, especially those visiting Germany's capital for the first time.
The experience is offered by local tour operators, with a qualified native guide who is an expert in German history. The tour takes you around iconic points of the city, such as the Brandenburg Gate, Museum Island and even Checkpoint Charlie.
It is one of the most comprehensive historical tours, but the approximately 7-hour itinerary makes it ideal for those planning to spend 7 days in Berlin or more.
- Schedule: Generally starts in the morning so you can make the most of the day and see all the best of Berlin in one day tour.
- Price: Around 150€ per participant.
- Duration of tour: Approximately 7 hours.
- Means of transportation: The tour takes place on a walking tour through the city, interspersed with walking and resting.