The Alcázar of Segovia is, together with its aqueduct, one of the main attractions of the city. This iconic medieval castle is located on top of a rock formation, dominating the city of Segovia and the countryside in all directions. In fact, this strategic defensive position has been used by different cultures over the centuries.
The Alcazar as we know it today was built in the mid-15th century by order of the Kings of Castile, who used it as a residence. Over the years, this important construction has functioned as a royal palace, a military college and even a prison. From the entrance to the castle, which must be accessed by crossing an imposing drawbridge that looks like something out of a movie, to its majestic halls decorated with Mudejar and Christian elements, nothing about this visit will fail to amaze you.
How to buy tickets for the Alcazar of Segovia
You won't want to leave Segovia without visiting one of its most emblematic monuments, the Alcazar is one of the most outstanding constructions of this Castilian city. To get your ticket to the castle, you have two different purchase options:
- The first option to buy your ticket is to do it in person, that is, buy them the same day of the visit at the ticket office of the Alcazar. The ticket office is located next to the castle, in the Casa de la Química, and there you can buy tickets according to the type of visit you want to make.
- The second option is also the most recommended and consists of buying your tickets online at the official website of the Alcazar of Segovia. This option is the most advisable for two main reasons, the first is that the daily number of tickets to the castle is limited, so if you decide to buy it at the last minute, you run the risk that there are no tickets available. The second reason why I recommend you to buy your ticket in advance, is because you will avoid wasting time in case there is a long waiting line at the ticket office.
Another alternative to visit this magnificent Alcazar, would be to book a guided tour of Segovia that includes a visit to the monument in question. This way, you will not have to worry about the entrance fee or following the tour, making it an ideal option to visit the city in depth and in a more comfortable way.
What types of tickets are there?
There are different types of tickets to access the famous Alcazar of Segovia. When purchasing your ticket to access the castle, the first thing you will see is that the sections are divided according to whether you are looking for an individual ticket or if, on the contrary, what you want are tickets for groups.
In turn, the price and type of ticket will also depend on other factors, such as whether or not you want a guided tour by an expert or whether or not it includes access to some of the facilities of the castle.
The individual ticket can be purchased in the two ways mentioned above, i.e. online or in person at the ticket office, and there are two types of tickets depending on the access to the facilities you want:
- The first individual ticket option includes access to all the castle facilities. By purchasing this type of ticket, you can visit the Palace, the Artillery Museum and you will have access to the imposing Tower of Juan II, from where you can enjoy privileged views of the Old City of Segovia.
- The second purchase option has a lower price and includes only the entrance to the Palace and the Artillery Museum. This alternative has been designed for people who for health or age reasons can not climb the Tower of Juan II, since to access it you have to climb a narrow spiral staircase with up to 152 steps.
Group entrance ticket for concerted groups
This type of ticket is for groups of 15 people or more from the same association, institution, organization or accredited company. With this type of ticket, the group of visitors can benefit from a reduced rate. In order to purchase this type of ticket, the group or institution must register in the system and must make a reservation in advance.
Educational group ticket
This type of ticket, like the previous one, is designed for groups and visitors get a reduced rate. In this case, the group must be made up of students from the same school. To purchase this type of ticket, the person in charge of the educational center must register in the system and the visit will require a previous reservation.
Tickets for professionals
Official tourist guides, tour operators, travel agencies and other companies in the tourism sector will be considered professionals. In order to acquire this type of ticket, the professional must be duly accredited and must register in the system. A reservation is required for this type of ticket.
How much do tickets to the Alcazar of Segovia cost?
The price of the tickets for the Alcazar of Segovia is different depending on the type of ticket you want to buy. Tickets for groups and professionals have a special price, as they benefit from a reduced rate.
As for the price of individual tickets, there are two purchase options depending on the facilities you want to access.
with access to the Palace, Artillery Museum and Tower of Juan II This ticket includes access to all the facilities of the Alcazar. With it, you can access the interior of the medieval Palace, the Museum, where you will have the opportunity to learn about the history of the Royal Artillery College and you can climb the Tower of Juan II and enjoy the breathtaking views of the city.
The rates for this type of tickets are as follows:
- General rate: the general rate ticket is priced at about 9€.
- Reduced rate: this rate is aimed at children from 6 to 16 years old, students, large families, unemployed or over 65 years old. The entrance fee is approximately 7€.
- Rate for Segovians: residents or those born in Segovia will enjoy a reduced rate whose price will be approximately 2 €.
- Free admission: children under 6 years of age, people with disabilities equal to or greater than 65% and official tourist guides will be able to enjoy free admission to the Alcazar.
with access to the Palace and the Artillery Museum With this ticket you can access the medieval Palace, whose walls housed up to twenty-two different kings and the Artillery Museum. This ticket is recommended for people who for health or age reasons are not able to climb the Tower of Juan II.
The rates for this type of tickets are as follows:
- General rate: the entrance with general rate has a price of about 6€.
- Reduced rate: this rate is aimed at children from 6 to 16 years, students, large families, unemployed or over 65 years. The entrance fee is approximately 4€.
- Rate for Segovians: residents or those born in Segovia will enjoy a reduced rate whose price will be approximately 1 €.
- Free admission: as with the other ticket, children under 6 years of age, people with disabilities equal to or greater than 65% and official tourist guides can enjoy free admission to the Alcazar.
Group ticket with access to all facilities
This type of ticket includes access to all the facilities of the castle, that is to say, you can access the Palace, the Artillery Museum and you can climb to the top of the Tower of Juan II.
- The entrance fee for groups has a reduced rate whose price would be about 7 € per person.
Group ticket with access to the Palace and the Artillery Museum
This type of ticket includes access to the Palace and the Artillery Museum. It is recommended for people who for health or age reasons are not able to climb the Tower of Juan II.
- The entrance fee for groups has a reduced rate which price would be about 4 € per person.
Groups formed by students from schools in the province of Segovia and concerted groups of people at risk of exclusion will have access to free admission.
Are there tickets that include a guided visit to the Alcazar of Segovia?
The Alcazar of Segovia also has tickets that include a guided tour in which you can discover the history of this ancient medieval castle and its inhabitants over the years.
Guided tour with individual entrance
Hiring the services of a guide is a fantastic way to complete your visit, as this way you can delve into the history of the magnificent Alcázar of Segovia and learn in depth about the mysteries and curiosities hidden in this fortress.
- Entrance with audio guide: if you want to know the history of the castle but you prefer to visit it at your own pace, this option is perfect for you. The option of a visit with audio guide has a supplement of about 4 € per person and you must request it at the ticket office on the day of the visit even if you already have the ticket. In addition, this type of guided tour is available in several languages.
- Guided tour of the Palace: if you prefer to make your visit with an expert guide who will accompany you while you unveil the history and secrets of the Palace, you have the option of hiring a guided tour. This option has a supplement of about 4 € and to purchase it you will have to check availability at the ticket office when you purchase your ticket.
- Exclusive guide booking: if you want to make sure you have a guide available at the time of your arrival and also prefer to make the tour exclusively for you, this is your option. This type of visit requires prior reservation at least 72 hours in advance and to know the exact price you must fill out the request form.
Guided tour for groups
If you wish to hire a guide exclusively for your group, you must do so at least 72 hours in advance. To request this tour option, you will have to fill out an application form and it has a supplement of about 50€ per group. In addition, this option allows you to choose the language of the visit between Spanish, English and French.
Visiting the Alcázar of Segovia with children
If you travel to Segovia with children, visiting the Alcazar is one of the activities that you can enjoy the most with the little ones. And this sensational fortress does not only impress adults, be sure that your young companions will have a great time walking through the corridors and learning the history of this impressive medieval castle.
As if that were not enough, children can benefit from a reduced rate as long as their age is between 6 and 16 years old. And for children under 6, the entrance to the castle will be completely free. In addition, as the visit is not too long, you will not have to worry about the little ones having to make long and tiring walks.
Opening hours of the Alcazar of Segovia
The Alcazar of Segovia opens its doors from Monday to Sunday to the hundreds of people who visit it every day. If you travel to Segovia during the winter, you will find that its opening hours are very similar to those of the Cathedral, however, if you visit Segovia during the summer, you will find that the closing time is delayed during these months.
During the winter, which runs from November 1 to March 31, the Alcazar's opening hours are from 10:00 to 18:00 h.
During the summer, which runs from April 1 to October 31, the Alcazar's opening hours are from 10:00 to 20:00 h.
The only exceptions to these hours are December 24, December 31 and January 5, when the opening hours are from 10:00 to 14:30 h, and May 2, when the opening time will change to 12:00
Although the opening hours are as mentioned above, the following things should be taken into account:
- Ticket sales and access to the interior will end 30 minutes before closing.
- The last guided tour during the winter will start at 4:30 pm and during the summer at 6:30 pm.
- The pass to go up to the Tower of Juan II will stop selling in winter at 4:30 pm and in summer at 6:30 pm.
- The rooms will be vacated 10 minutes before closing time.
- The closing days of the Alcazar are December 25, January 1, January 6, April 4 and June 17.
How much time do you need to visit the Alcazar of Segovia?
The estimated time needed to visit the Alcazar is 40 to 45 minutes, which is the duration of the guided tours offered on the official website. However, the duration of the visit may vary depending on the pace of each person and whether or not you decide to climb the Tower of Juan II, which could extend the time to more or less an hour and a half. In any case, the time needed for the visit is not too long, so you will have the opportunity to do it even if you only have one day in the city of Segovia.
How to get to the Alcázar of Segovia
Segovia is a small city and the best way to get from one place to another is usually on foot. However, there are different ways to get to the top of the Alcazar, depending on where you start from or the means of transport you want to use to get there.
Getting to the Alcazar on foot
Once you are in the city of Segovia, you can reach almost everywhere on foot, since its extension is very accessible for walking. This is the most recommendable option, since the walk from the Casco Viejo is quite pleasant and the distance is short. To give you an idea, from the Plaza Mayor, which is located in the historic center and can be considered the heart of the city, the walking distance to the Alcazar is only 12 minutes.
Another option, to make the tour more interesting, would be to hire a tour of Segovia. Specifically, there is a tour that guides you on foot from the Plaza del Azoguejo, where the Aqueduct of Segovia is located, to the Alcazar and during which you will make some stops at the main points of interest.
Getting to the Alcazar by car
Although it is possible to reach the Alcázar by car, this is the least recommended option. This is because there is no parking in the Alcazar and there are very few parking spaces in the surrounding area.
In addition, the few parking spaces that exist and are close to the Alcazar are green zone, that is, more expensive and limited time than the blue zone, except on Saturday afternoon and Sunday that are free. Other reasons why it is not advisable to access the castle by car is the difficulty of driving through the narrow streets of the Old Town.