Malaga is one of the most visited and crowded cities in Andalusia in Spain, and it is also a coastal area, so it is common to see boats around the coast offering a maritime tour around the city.
Whether you want to see dolphins, watch the sunset from the sea or ride around the coastal area on a catamaran, this is always a good option to include among the things to see and do in Malaga, whether you choose private or common rides.
1. Private sailboat ride along the coast of the Sun
This is a tour that will take you all along the Costa del Sol in a fun and incredible private cruise for you and your group, in which you will be able to see not only the city of Malaga, but also other cities that are located near the coast.
You will be able to see from the sea some places like Torremolinos, Fuengirola and Benalmadena. Even, if you are lucky and the sea allows it, you can see dolphins swimming in the area. This is a tour that you will love to do with children, with your family and even with your partner.
It is one of those tours that you will not forget because of the many privileges that the sea offers you to admire. If you ask me about the schedule to make this tour, I tell you that this is an experience that you can arrange according to your tastes. But I assure you that at any time, this is one of the best tours of Malaga and its surroundings.
You can coordinate the trip at sunrise, so you can live the experience of watching the sunrise aboard a boat. You also have the opportunity to do the tour during the day to see dolphins or at dusk to watch the sun set over the horizon with the sea in the background.
Details of interest
- Price: It can cost approximately 55 euros per person to do this tour.
- Duration: It has an approximate duration of no more than two hours.
- Means of transportation: To get to the port you will have to travel on your own. Once at the port, the means of transportation to use will be a boat with all the comforts.
- Advantages of this option: All taxes and fees necessary to live the experience are included. It is a private experience, that is, it is dedicated to you and your group.
- Disadvantages of this option: Transportation to and from the port is not included. The experience can be cancelled according to weather conditions and without prior notice. It is not adapted for people in wheelchairs. Snacks are not included.
2. Dolphin sightseeing boat tour of Gibraltar
One of the things I like most about this tour is how complete it is, because it not only takes you on a boat ride, but it also takes you around the area of Malaga by bus. The first thing you will do during the tour will be to visit the tourist attractions of Malaga and then go to the border with Gibraltar.
Already at this point I advise you to have your documentation in hand so that it is not too complicated to cross the border. Once in Gibraltar you will continue on the tourist bus of Malaga, touring the place until you finally reach the port where you will take the boat to go to the sighting of marine species.
Some of the species that you will most likely see during this tour are dolphins. You will also be able to see and learn about the life of the different cetaceans that are located in that area. As the tour can last approximately one hour, you will have all the time you need to continue exploring Gibraltar.
Details of interest
- Price: From 47 euros per person.
- Duration: This complete tour can last between 8 and 9 hours, approximately.
- Means of transportation: At first the experience will be on land and by bus, and then you will board a boat and travel around the bay aboard it.
- Advantages of this option: Includes transportation to all the areas where the excursion will take place. A bilingual English and Spanish speaking tour guide is available. Also included is the boat ride for 90 minutes and also a free time in Gibraltar to go out.
- Disadvantages of this option: Drinks and food are not included in this type of tour. You cannot take suitcases or large bags with you. And as relevant information it is important to know that you cannot feed the animals.
3. Catamaran cruise on the bay
This is one of the most complete boat trips you can find in Malaga, and that's because it will take you around the entire bay area aboard an all-inclusive catamaran. Unlike other similar tours, the price of this tour also includes food and drinks on board.
This is an experience that you can live either in a shared or private way. In the private experience you will need at least 8 people to travel with you in a private charter. Part of the activities offered by this catamaran cruise is the kayak ride for you and all the people who go with you.
You can also snorkel with the company of a guide who will teach you everything you need to know to live this experience. If there is something you can't miss while you are on board is to contemplate the marine fauna, if the sea allows you to do so. Besides this, you will be able to see enchanting landscapes in places such as the bay of La Herradura or the Punta de la Mona promontory.
- Price: You can live this experience for a price ranging from 112 euros per person.
- Duration: The whole experience lasts approximately 4 hours.
- Means of transportation: To get to the port and board you will have to travel on your own. Once you get to the port, you will board the catamaran and the whole experience is completed on board.
- Advantages of this option: A full meal is included, either breakfast, lunch or dinner. Also included are all the drinks you want to have on board and snacks during the trip. Kayaking and snorkeling equipment is included, as well as the accompaniment of an expert guide. You can do the private experience with a group of no less than eight people.
- Disadvantages of this option: Transportation from your hotel to the port is not included. The weather must be good for the tour to take place, otherwise it can be suspended without prior notice. There must be a minimum number of passengers on board, otherwise the sailing will be suspended.
4. Sunset catamaran tour with wine tasting
If there is something that differentiates Spain from other countries is its undisputed quality in wines, that is why in this catamaran cruise you will enjoy much more than the account. During the catamaran ride you will have the chance to taste exquisite sweet wines of the typical Spanish production.
You will also be accompanied by an expert guide who will not only tell you details about the dynamism of the Malaga coast, but will also tell you everything you need to know about the wines produced in Spain.
During the sunset tour you will be able to watch the sun go down over the mountains on the Costa del Sol. A real spectacle if you love nature and beautiful views.
This is a walk that besides bringing you peace and calm, will leave you with incredible postcards to remember, so it is one of the activities that I would include in the list of things to do in Malaga at night.
Details of interest
- Price: This tour has an approximate price of 12 euros per person.
- Duration: It lasts at least an hour and a half from sunset until late at night, when the sun goes down.
- Means of transportation: To get to the port you will have to move on your own, but once you arrive you will finish the trip by catamaran, ending the tour in the same place where you started.
- Advantages of this option: The glass of wine, the catamaran ride with the guide and the boat crew are included.
- Disadvantages of this option: Meals or other beverages are not included, and you are not allowed to bring any of these on board, although you do have the opportunity to buy them on board. Transportation service from your accommodation to the port and back is not included.
5. Boat trip and dinner in the port of Málaga
This program is ideal if you want to spend a relaxing time away from the hustle and bustle of the city. It is a tour that starts at the port of Malaga, where you will board a catamaran that will take you along the coastline to know each of the most interesting places around the coast.
On board of this catamaran you will live incredible experiences, you will have the opportunity to have some alcoholic or non-alcoholic drinks, all depending on your tastes, you will enjoy the beautiful views and you will be able to take all the pictures you want.
Once the catamaran ride is over, the program invites you to stop by the dock to have some lunch or dinner, depending on the plan and schedule you have chosen. Lunch is logically included in the package price.
Details of interest
- Price: It is priced at approximately 82 euros per person.
- Duration: It is estimated that this plan lasts about 2 hours approximately.
- Means of transportation: To get to the pier you will have to move by your own means, but after you get on the boat, the rest of the experience is lived on board the catamaran.
- Advantages of this option: Dinner or lunch is included according to your choice. The boat crew is also included. Lunch before and after the ride is also included.
- Disadvantages of this option: Transportation from your hotel to the port and back is not included. The tour guide on board is not included either.
6. Kayak route of the Nerja and Maro Cliffs
During this kayak route you will have the privilege of knowing the impressive cliffs of Nerja and Maro from Malaga. You will also get to know other nearby places that will captivate you with their imposing beauty, some of them are: Cascada Doncella, Caleta de Maro beach, Maro Cliffs and many other places that stand out for their beautiful scenery.
If you want to have an extreme adventure experience to live with friends or with your family, this is an activity that you can not miss on your visit to Malaga. It is important for you to know that, although this is one of the top 10 activities to do in Malaga, it can be cancelled due to weather conditions, and in that case, you get your money back and the adventure is cancelled.
Details of interest
- Price: It has an approximate price of 30 euros per person.
- Duration: It takes about two and a half hours for the whole tour.
- Means of transportation: To get to the port to start the kayak tour you have to get around on your own using public transportation or a rental car. Once you get into the kayak, the rest of the activity is done in this means of transportation.
- Advantages of this option: All the necessary equipment for kayaking is included, as well as the GoPro photo and video service.
- Disadvantages of this option: Transportation from your lodging place and back is not included. Bottled water service and snacks during the trip are not included.
7. Paddle Surf tour of the cliffs of Nerja and Maro with snorkeling
Continuing with the water activities around the cliffs of Nerja and Maro, another of the experiences that I recommend you to do is this paddle surfing route in this place. It is a guided tour that includes all the necessary equipment to practice this sport, as well as the accompaniment of an expert.
For two and a half hours you can make a complete tour of the cliffs seeing not only the beautiful scenery around, but you will also see some of the marine fauna if the ocean allows you to do so.
Details of interest
- Price: The price usually ranges between 20 and 24 euros per person, depending on the season in which the activity takes place.
- Duration: It can last around two and a half hours depending on the sea conditions and the number of people participating in this adventure.
- Means of transportation: To get to the place where the paddle surfing equipment will depart, you will have to move on your own. Once at the place, the rest of the activity will be done on board the paddle surf board.
- Advantages of this option: The paddle equipment is included as well as a tour guide who will teach you everything you need to know about this experience. You will have a support boat in case there are problems in the departure. You will have free photography service.
- Disadvantages of this option: Snacks are not included, nor is transportation from your place of lodging or back.
Duration of the boat trips in Malaga
Depending on the type of experience you hire, the tour may be a little shorter or longer. There are boat tours that usually last half a day, while other experiences are full day. You will also get rides that offer between two and three hours of cruising on the coast of the sun.
In all cases the duration will depend on the amount of activities you are going to do during the trip, and also on the time of the day you do the excursion. If you do an excursion in the afternoon or at night, then it usually lasts no more than three hours, which is what the sunset usually lasts.
If you are going to do a morning excursion, it usually lasts approximately four to five hours, that is to say, to finish at noon with a good lunch in the port of the city. This is a good plan to choose especially if you are traveling on a weekend.
What will I see on this type of excursion?
Depending on the type of tour you hire, you will be able to see one thing or another. Generally you will be able to see the dolphins swimming in the area, as well as you will have the possibility to see the city from other points of view.
In case you take the evening or night type of tour, you will have the possibility to see the sunset and how the sunset becomes imminent in the city of Malaga. Undoubtedly this is a type of tour that will leave you many postcards to remember, regardless of the time you take the excursion.
You also have to know that inside the boat the experience can change considerably depending on the type of experience you hire. If you go for a private tour, you will probably be able to enjoy exquisite tastings and also wine and liquor tasting.
Some of the best excursions from Malaga allow you to practice some water sports such as snorkeling and even parasailing. Each boat trip is different and offers you a range of experiences to live.
Why is it advisable to take a boat trip along the coast of Malaga?
Without a doubt it is recommendable to go on an excursion along the coast of the sun to get to know all that the coast has to offer. I recommend this type of excursions because together with an expert guide you will know incredible details of tourism in the area, but also you will have fun at all times.
You have to experience a boat trip at least once in your life, but before you do it, it is important to be sure that you are not afraid of boats. I recommend you to see Malaga from the sea because it gives you a perspective from afar of everything the city has to show you.
Also, doing this tour is a good experience to include among the things to see and do in Malaga with children because they always like to see the sea and the skyline of the city from another point of view. It is certainly a tour that you can not miss if you visit the city of museums.