If you have to move from Malaga airport to the city center, you have several options. Malaga-Costa del Sol airport, also called Pablo Picasso airport, is located very close to the city, just 10 kilometers away. In addition, it offers very good connections.
Below, you can see which is the best according to the parameters that interest you most, such as price, journey time or booking method. In short, all of them have their pros and cons, although some are more ideal than others.
A private transfer, comfort and flexibility
The most comfortable way to transfer between the airport and the center of Malaga, is a private transfer. Using this method, you will be sure to arrive in time to the city, which is very useful, especially if you are traveling for business purposes. In addition, you will not have to wait, as the driver will be at the airport at the time you specify.
In addition, it is available 24 hours a day, which is ideal for you if you arrive in the Andalusian city in the early hours of the morning. Whatever time you book, the price will be the same. This is a great advantage over cab services or transportation network companies, such as Uber, in which case the price rises at these hours because of the night rate.
On the other hand, the driver will provide you with information of interest about Malaga, so you can enjoy your stay to the fullest. It is also remarkable the fact that the vehicle has air conditioning. Undoubtedly, for all the above mentioned, the private transfer is the most comfortable and exclusive option to get from Malaga airport to the center.
In case you need it, it is also interesting to know that this private transfer offers other destinations, such as the main towns of the Costa del Sol. Thus, for example, if you have to go from Malaga to Marbella, you will not have to make combinations to reach your final destination.
Details of interest
- Travel time: depends on the traffic at the time you arrive at the airport, but, on average, the trip usually takes 15 minutes.
- Price: about 40 euros approximately.
- Advantages of using this method: you will not have to wait for the vehicle to arrive, as it is punctual. In addition, the price will not vary depending on the duration or time of arrival.
- How to book this transportation: you will have to select the pick-up date and time. Then, you will have to select the language and other information of interest, such as destination address, arrival flight number or contact information.
- Recommended if you are traveling to Malaga for business reasons or if you don't have time to wait for your pick-up transport.
Train, the fastest option
Among the Malaga airport transfers, there is the train. At the airport itself, there is a train station that offers different combinations. One of the most common is the trip to the city center. This type of transfer stands out for being the fastest, as it will not take you more than 15 minutes to be at your destination.
If you want to go to the center of Malaga, you will have to take the C1 line, which is the one corresponding to this destination. Generally, every day there is a train every 20 minutes or so. This way, if you miss the one that suits you best, you will not have to wait long to catch the next one.
However, the times when this service is operational are from 6:30 to 00:30. Therefore, if you arrive at the airport in the early hours of the morning, you will have to discard this option. This line does not have a single stop, but makes several stops along the route, such as Guadalhorce, Victoria Kent or Malaga Maria Zambrano. To catch the train, you have to go outside the departures area of Terminal 3
The station is located next to the cab rank and the bus stop and is very well equipped. As I said, this option is the fastest way to get from Malaga airport to the city center. In addition, it is also economical. However, most of the time, you will have to wait. The latter can be a bit tiresome if you have been traveling for many hours.
- Travel time: the trip usually takes about 12 minutes, but you have to add to this the waiting time, which is a maximum of about 20 minutes.
- Price: around 1.80 euros, so it is the cheapest option of all.
- Advantages of using this method: it is the fastest and cheapest type of transfer.
- How to book this transfer: you will have to buy your ticket at the airport train station itself, in the area outside Terminal 3.
- Recommended if you need a quick and inexpensive transfer.
A rental car with driver, the most efficient option
Another transfer option between the airport and the center of Malaga is a car rental company with driver, also known as VTC. In Malaga, at the moment, three are available: Cabify, Uber and Bolt. All of them work in a very similar way, offering a booking method through the App.
Thus, in order to book your trip, you will have to download the App on your cell phone. Then, you will have to fill in some personal information, such as your name or your phone number. In addition, you will also have to provide a valid payment method. This way, you can book your car in advance, making sure that it will be at the time you arrive at the airport, or at the same time.
A great advantage offered by this type of transfer, is that the price of the trip is fixed in advance, at the time of booking. In this way, the cost will not vary depending on the duration of the trip, which can be influenced by traffic. This is a great advantage of VTCs over traditional cab services.
However, on the other hand, prices depend on demand. That is, the more demand there is, the more expensive the transfer will be. Therefore, the trip may be excessively expensive if you travel at rush hour. This problem, however, does not occur with the cab service.
Details of interest
- Travel time: as with other types of transfers, it depends on the traffic, but it is usually about 15 minutes.
- Price: if you travel during the day, the price is usually between 11 and 14 euros. At night, it can reach 20 euros. Everything will depend on the demand at the time of the transfer.
- Advantages of using this method: it is very convenient, as it offers door-to-door service and can be booked in advance. In addition, the price is fixed in advance.
- How to book this transport: downloading the app of the company in question and filling in the requested data.
- Recommended if you are looking for a comfortable transfer and do not travel at rush hour.
A cab, the second most comfortable option
One of the most common methods of transfer between Malaga airport and the city center is by cab. At the exit of terminal 3, next to the bus stop and the train station, is where the cab rank is located. No matter what time it is, there is always a long line of cabs at the cab rank. However, this does not mean that you will find one available, especially if it is a very busy time.
In case you find a free one, it is a very convenient way of transfer. You can be dropped off at the door of your hotel or accommodation, so you will not have to carry your luggage. In addition, you can sit comfortably, leave your suitcase in the trunk and enjoy a quiet trip.
However, prices vary depending on the time you go to take it. At the moment, the initial transfer fee from the airport is about 5.50 euros, approximately. To this you have to add the night fare to the cost of the trip. The latter is for trips between 22:00 and 6:00 and costs about 22 euros.
This is a very convenient option, especially if you are carrying a lot of luggage, since it offers door-to-door service. Beyond this, you will not have to wait as long as the time involved in public transport.
- Travel time: it depends on the traffic at the time, but it is usually about 15 minutes.
- Price: the cost of the transfer is usually around 20 euros. To this must be added the different fares, such as night fares or holiday fares.
- Advantages of using this method: door-to-door service and minimal waiting times.
- How to book this transport: you can book your cab in advance through the website or by phone.
- Recommended if you have a lot of luggage and are looking for a comfortable transfer.
A bus, the second cheapest option
In the departure area of the arrivals area, in terminal 3 of Malaga airport, there is a bus stop. It is located right next to the train station and the cab stand. Among the different lines offered by the airport bus service, there is a specific one for transfers to the city center.
This is the Express Line A. In total, it has 10 stops, for example, one at the bus station, several on Avenida de Velazquez and another in the Plaza del General Torrijos. The duration of the journey, as is obvious, depends on the traffic at that time. Therefore, it can be a bit long if you arrive at rush hour.
A very convenient fact is that the bus has a luggage rack, so you will not have to worry about your suitcase during the transfer. However, depending on your arrival time at the airport, it may be very crowded. In that case, you will have to wait for the next bus. Between each one, there is usually a 30 minute wait.
For this reason, although it is an economical option and with a route with very central stops, it is not the best idea if you are in a hurry to get to the city center. In addition, this service is not operational in the early morning, as it operates from 07:00 to 00:00.
Details of interest
- Duration of the trip: it is usually about 20 minutes, approximately. However, this time will be longer or shorter depending on traffic.
- Price: around 4 euros, so it is very economical.
- Advantages of using this method: it is an economical option compared to other transfer options and includes luggage racks.
- How to book this transfer: you will have to buy your ticket at the airport bus stop, located in terminal 3.
- Recommended if you are looking for a cheap transfer and are not interested in train stops.