One of the main mistakes made by travelers visiting Girona for the first time is to enjoy only the city and forget about the amazing destinations that can be found in the rest of the region.
While there is plenty to see and do in Girona city, it is important to remember that this region of Spain has stunning scenery, ancient medieval villages and a coastline that should not be missed under any circumstances.
My advice? If you go to the city extend your stay by 1 or 2 days and spend the time exploring a little further afield. The best way is on an organized tour where you don't have to worry about any planning details. Here are the most interesting alternatives.
1. Explore Costa Brava and Medieval Villages from Girona
The strip of coastline in the south of Spain that starts in Blanes and reaches the border with France is known as Costa Brava. The coastal strip comprises a length of approximately 214 kilometers and is noted for its warm to temperate climate all year round.
You will find in the city organized excursions that take travelers to see some ancient medieval villages. Although certain details of the experience may change depending on the tour you take, many of these activities in Girona include in their itinerary the municipality of Calella, the small coastal town of Llafranc and of course the town of Begur
Visiting these destinations is usually interspersed with visits to the ancient Romanesque villages of Pals and Peratallada, to live the experience of ancient medieval villages excellently preserved.
Information of interest
- Price: the price to pay for the experience is approximately 145€ per traveler.
- Duration of the excursion: the excursion from Girona along the Costa Brava lasts approximately 8 hours.
- Recommended if... part of your reason for visiting Girona is to explore its outstanding Old Town, some of the towns and villages you will tour, such as Begur Castle, are truly impressive historical sites.
2. Get to know Dalí's Girona: the Museum, Cadaqués and Cap de Creus
One of the most influential figures and one of the most recognized artists of modernity is a native of the province of Girona. Salvador Dalí lived for many years in the region, a fact that marked the artist's life and work.
Tours of the region are organized from the city of Girona to show travelers what Dalí's Girona was like. The tours include an expert guide in the life of the artist, his work and art history, this guide will take you through memorial museums, stately homes and ancient castles.
During your search for activities you may come across small group tour versions that are, in fact, more enjoyable. Among the places you are sure to see are Figueres, Dalí's hometown, the Dalí Theater-Museum, to admire his work, and finally, towns like Cadaqués, Portlligat and other corners of the northern Costa Brava.
Information of interest
- Price: the price to pay for the whole excursion is around 148€ per traveler. This price includes transportation and the accompaniment of an expert guide. Generally lunch and entrance fees to the museums are paid separately.
- Duration of the excursion: it is an extensive activity that covers many corners of the province of Girona, I recommend reserving 9 or 10 hours for the experience.
- Recommended if... You are a fan of art and history. Learning about the historical and cultural context that gave life to the impressive surrealist works of the author is really interesting for any audience.
3. Excursion to the region of L'Alt Emporda with wine tasting from Girona
Another excellent way to get to know Girona and at the same time enjoy its delicious food is a tour of the vineyards of the Emporda region. This area is famous in Spain and around the world for its cultural traditions, dating back to Roman times but also for its impressive wineries
The Empordá wine route is rated by tourists and locals as one of the best wine tourism getaways in Spain and Girona organizes many excursions to this destination where it includes wine tasting and a delicious meal in a beautiful vineyard.
The excursions are organized in small groups; with the intention of taking travelers on a sensory and visual experience through the local products of Girona and the customs of its people.
Information of interest
- Price: the price to pay for the experience is around 130€ per traveler. This price includes wine tasting and lunch, entrance to the attractions, transportation and the guide in charge.
- Duration of the excursion: from Girona the Empordá region is very close, the tour usually takes about 6 hours or less.
- Recommended if... gastronomic tourism is your thing, combining the experience of getting to know new places with delicious food and excellent quality wine. The landscapes of this region of Spain will give you a memory to cherish forever.
4. Excursion to learn about the Jewish history of Catalonia
Another highly popular alternative excursion in Girona is one that involves a tour of the most important sites of Jewish history in the area. Although some details of the experience may change depending on the activity you do, many of these excursions offer participants a combined tour.
The itinerary mixes different elements to learn about the life of the Jews in the province and among them: a walking tour to know the Jewish quarter of Girona, one of the best preserved in Europe, and also the Jewish quarter of Girona, one of the best preserved in Europe. Both experiences constitute one of the best tours of Girona.
The tour is complemented with an excursion to the Miqvé of Besalú; where one of the most impressive monumental complexes of Girona is located and where an important Jewish community was housed for centuries.
Information of interest
- Price: this tour is offered in different formats, tours for small groups have an approximate price of 150 € per participant, private tours about 450 € on average.
- Duration of the tour: Depending on the activity, it can take between 8 or 9 hours to complete the itinerary.
- Recommended if... you are interested in knowing in depth the history of the Jewish people in this part of Spain. As well as the cultural and social contributions that shaped important identity traits of the area.
5. Catamaran excursion to the viewpoint of Cap Norfeu in Girona
Take advantage of your trip to Girona to take an adventure at sea, this includes exploring Cap Norfeu and its surroundings on a catamaran trip. Cap Norfeu is an extension of land in the Alt Empordà region where you can enjoy some of the most beautiful spots in the Girona region.
Cap Norfeu is located within the boundaries of the Natural Park of Cap de Creu and is the area with the highest degree of protection of the entire park. For this reason, most of the routes that are organized to Cap Norfeu include in the itinerary the beautiful coves of the park and other memorable attractions located nearby.
Among these attractions are the cave of Tamariu, the bay of Cala Jóncols and the spectacular rock "El Gato"; keep in mind that this is an approximate itinerary that can be modified depending on the activity you do and the time of the year you visit Girona.
Katherine's Traveller Tip
I recommend that you pay close attention to the description of each excursion and book as far in advance as possible, as space is limited for these experiences.
Information of interest
- Price: the trip on the Catamaran is available for around 30€ per traveler, you will have to arrange the transfer to the embarkation point.
- Duration of the excursion: the tour lasts approximately 2 hours, I recommend arriving at least 15 minutes before departure time to check in.
- Recommended if... you are interested in getting to know the north of the Girona region and want to experience a quiet adventure at sea. This trip can be a complement to other tours of Girona that take the traveler to know the most outstanding villages of Alt Empordà and can be done by all members of the family.
6. Adventure kayaking and snorkeling in Tossa de Mar in Girona
The small and charming town of Tossa de Mar is the perfect destination not to be missed on a summer excursion in the Girona region. As a result of the good weather here, a kayaking and snorkeling adventure is one of the best things to do in Girona on vacation.
Due to its popularity there are many activities organized for this type of experience, taking travelers to the most popular kayak-snorkeling route in the area. This route includes admiring the beauty of beautiful cliffs, exploring hard to reach caves by kayak and snorkeling in wildly beautiful underwater landscapes.
Tossa de Mar is located just 45 minutes from Girona city, is a favorite getaway for tourists and locals looking for exciting adventures.
Information of interest
- Price: The kayaking adventure in Tossa de Mar has an approximate cost of 42€ per participant. This price includes all the necessary equipment for the adventure, but transportation to the meeting point must be arranged by the traveler.
- Duration of the excursion: Depending on the company you hire, it may take around 3 hours to complete the experience.
- Recommended if... you are traveling to the Girona region with friends and are looking for a fun adventure. It is ideal for travelers who are new to kayaking. Keep in mind that swimming is required for safety reasons.
7. Bike adventure in the Girona region
Enthusiastic travelers looking to experience the Girona region in an unconventional way should consider taking a bicycle tour of the region. Designed to take place over a multi-day excursion, it is an immersive and demanding experience that I recommend for those tourists with significant cycling experience.
It is certainly a once-in-a-lifetime adventure and is offered in Girona by local companies with proven experience in this tour format. These companies arrange accommodation in the different villages, rental of equipment, snacks and water for the tour and other facilities.
The itinerary may change slightly depending on the activity and even the time of year you decide to do the tour. However, among the places frequently included are Sant Feliu de Guíxols, Llafranc and Monells.
- Price: from 1250€ per traveler. This price includes the accompaniment of an expert guide during the whole route, the different accommodations in each of the cities and some meals.
- Duration of the excursion: varies depending on the activity and the itinerary designed; it can take from 5 to 8 days to complete the route.
- Recommended if... your trip to the Girona region contemplates a long stay and you want to invest part of that time in getting to know the area in depth. Also consider that the demanding nature of the route requires you to be in good physical condition to participate.
8. Excursion through the best of the Garrocha from Girona
An adventure designed to know the highlights of the region of La Garrocha, located just 1 hour drive from the city of Girona. A private transport with limited capacity takes the group of travelers on a day trip where very interesting stops are included.
Most of these excursions include in its itinerary a guided visit to the medieval town of Besalú, an excursion to know the Volcanic Zone of the Garrotxa, located in the natural park of the same name, and also the visit to the small ancient villages located in this area. A visit to the lake of Banyoles, one of the most charming lakes in the region, is also included.
Touring this area of Girona is an extremely interesting trip as it combines ancient medieval villages with impressive volcanic landscapes.
- Price: the approximate cost is around 135€ per participant.
- Duration of the excursion: it is a full day adventure for which you should reserve approximately 8 to 10 hours.
- Recommended if... you are passionate about nature and impossible landscapes, the volcanic area of Garrotxa offers breathtaking views. It is especially interesting for those who have visited Girona in the past and are looking for a new side of the region.