A trip to get to know this beautiful Catalan corner is always a good idea. As you will see upon your arrival, Girona is a small, charming and very pedestrian friendly city, so the best way to get around its streets is walking.
During your visit you will have many options of things to do in Girona and among them you will find guided tours, gastronomic experiences and more. If, like most visitors, you are traveling from Barcelona for a few days, the best thing to do is to get to know the city on an organized tour that will take you to the most outstanding and secret places.
Below, I will tell you all the necessary information about the different types of tours available in the city, so you can include them in your list of activities during your visit.
1. Complete tour of Girona and its outstanding monuments
Girona is a historic city, famous throughout Spain for its excellently preserved medieval architecture. As I mentioned before, many of the tours that are organized in this town are done on foot because most of the attractions in the city are close to each other.
On your visit you can always count on the opportunity to take a private tour for small groups where an expert local guide takes travelers through the main attractions of the city. It is one of the best ways to explore, connect with its past and historical evolution.
What I will see on these tours
These tours are designed to introduce you to Girona' s most outstanding monuments and historic neighborhoods. While the itinerary may vary slightly depending on the tour you select, some of the must-see attractions you can expect to see include:
El Barri Vell de Girona: the name by which the Old Quarter is known and where you will see monuments such as Girona Cathedral, the Church of Sant Feliu, the Arab Baths, the German Gardens of Girona and much more.
The Bridges of Girona: the city of Girona has a total of 11 bridges, some of them very outstanding such as the Princess Bridge, the Stone Bridge or the Eiffel Bridge designed by the same engineer of the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
Ramblade la Libertad: The most important urban center of the old quarter of the city.
Katherine's Traveller Tip
It is advisable to make reservations in advance, and to know all its features. Sometimes options may include additional facilities such as snacks or longer tours and more attractions.
Information of interest
- Price: the price varies a lot depending on the duration of the excursion and the itinerary; the price to pay goes from 30€ for the cheapest options to 120€ for the most complete tours.
- Duration of the excursion: you must take into account the itinerary proposed by the tour you hire. It can take from 2 to 4 hours depending on the number of attractions you decide to visit.
- Recommended if... it is the first time you visit the city and you want the basic experience to learn about the historical past and evolution of Girona. The tour can be done in a few hours, so it is also highly recommended for travelers visiting Girona for a day.
2. Tour of the Jewish quarter of Girona
The Jewish Quarter of Girona is called El Call; according to historical records, the place emerged with the arrival of the Jews to the city, who settled between 982 and 1492. It is estimated that approximately 1000 Jews lived in this area during the Middle Ages.
It is one of the oldest and best preserved Jewish quarters in the world, which is why you will find numerous activities with expert guides who walk through the winding and narrow streets that make it up.
These tours are particularly interesting for their ability to focus on just one aspect of the history and evolution of the city. During the tour you will appreciate the level of preservation of the streets and buildings, many structures have remained almost intact for over 500 years.
What I will see on these tours
Although certain details of your tour may vary depending on the tour you take, most of the walks through the Jewish Quarter of Girona include:
- The Jewish Museum of Girona: located in the center of the Jewish quarter, the tours include a guided visit to the museum facilities as a way to learn in detail the history and evolution of the Jewish people in the city. It is a very well documented exhibition center and one of the best museums in Girona.
- Alleys of the Jewish Quarter: labyrinthine, narrow streets full of impressive charm.
- Old synagogues: the places where the 3 synagogues of Girona were once located to discover interesting aspects about the customs and traditions of the Jewish people.
Information of interest
- Price: about 40€ per participant for the experience.
- Duration of the tour: This tour usually takes about 3 hours to complete.
- Recommended if... you are passionate about history and want to see excellently preserved ancient monuments. The Jewish community in Girona made great contributions to the evolution and growth of the city.
3. Guided tour through the locations of Game of Thrones in Girona
Fans of the popular HBO series know that Girona's Old Town was used extensively for the filming of the sixth season. In my experience the best way to get to know Game of Thrones Girona is with an organized themed tour.
The tour includes the accompaniment of an expert guide, who is responsible for taking the group of travelers through the iconic filming locations. Also, you will be able to discover interesting aspects and all kinds of curious facts linked to the filming of Game of Thrones in Girona and which the locals were part of.
It is one of the most fun tours to do in Girona, because just like you the participants enjoyed the TV show and are really enthusiastic about the experience.
What I will see on these excursions
The city of Girona served to stage two places within the fictional world created by George R.R. Martin: the city of Braavos and King's Landing. During this experience you will be able to know all or almost all the places that served as filming set for the scenes:
- The access staircase of the church of Santa Maria (Cathedral of Girona).
- The Bishop Josep Cartañà Street behind the Cathedral.
- The Arab Baths of Girona.
- The Galligants Bridge.
- The Jurors' Square.
- The stairs of Sant Domènec Street.
- Several streets of the old town of Girona.
- The interiors of the monastery of San Pedro de Galligants.
Information of interest
- Price: The tour is done in small groups, the price is usually around 30€ per participant.
- Duration of tour: The tour usually takes 2 to 3 hours to complete depending on the planned itinerary.
- Recommended if... you are a fan of the Games of Thrones TV show and want to see the locations, as well as enjoy the stories and events that took place in Girona during filming.
4. Gastronomic tour of Girona
A tour through the main streets of Girona combined with a journey through the Catalan gastronomy through the hands of local chefs. Together with an expert guide in gastronomy and history, you will be able to taste dishes in different commercial establishments in the area.
Although the excursions are done in groups, a small number of participants are usually included so that the guide in charge of the experience can provide a more personalized treatment. For this reason, if you are interested in the activity, the best strategy is to book in advance, even before your trip.
What will I see on these excursions?
In addition to exquisite gastronomic stops, during these tours you will get to know much of the impressive Catalan city:
The main monuments of Girona: although it is not strictly a historical tour it is impossible to dissociate the gastronomic aspect of the evolution of the city and the mix of cultures. As you walk through the streets you will see the main monuments of Girona including the Cathedral, the Stone Bridge, the Rambla, the Jewish Quarter and more.
The Plaza Independencia: the largest and most important square in the city, in the neoclassical buildings surrounding the square you will find many of the main and most important local cafes and restaurants.
Mercat del Lleo: the most important municipal market in Girona's Old Town is the best place to buy and taste seasonal delicacies and enjoy local artisanal dishes.
Information of interest
- Price: Varies according to duration, itinerary and number of stations. Gastronomic tours are available from approximately 45€ per participant.
- Duration of excursion: Shorter tours usually take 2 hours and 30 minutes to complete; others up to 4 hours.
- Recommended if... you are one of those travelers who like to explore cities based on their gastronomy, as the Girona tasting tour will more than meet your expectations.
Why is it advisable to do organized tours in Girona?
Whenever you visit a new destination, especially one loaded with as much history as Girona, it is best to take an organized tour for the most obvious reason possible: information.
When you pay for the tour, you pay mainly for the accompaniment of a certified guide trained to provide an enormous amount of information about the destination you are exploring and the main places of interest in Girona.
The historical information provided by the accompanying guide will help you imagine what the city was once like, even in places where all that's left standing is a pile of rocks and rubble. It's worth every penny!
What are the advantages of taking a guided tour vs. touring Girona on my own?
Booking an organized tour, whether in Girona or other destinations, comes with a number of advantages for tourists venturing to this area of Spain for the first time.
When booking a city tour or a tour from Girona to other areas of Catalonia these are the main advantages you should consider.
No need to plan...
Planning an itinerary to an unknown destination can be overwhelming; the tours are always organized by local experts who know the area inside out and have plenty of experience in planning and handling unforeseen events.
The social aspect...
Little is said about the social aspect and how much fun organized tours can be; in them you can interact with other adventurous travelers who often share similar affinities to yours.
Look forward to chatting and meeting more people, talk about their trips and get references that can inspire you to plan your next destination.
Save time on your tour...
Organized tours are a great time saver, one of the most valuable resources when you travel to a new destination and want to see as many places or live as many experiences in the shortest time possible.
Although getting lost from time to time can be fun, no one likes the idea of spending an entire trip wandering around or going in circles due to lack of information.