Tuscany is one of the 20 regions that make up Italy and whose capital is Florence. Famous all over the world for its landscapes full of vineyards and hills and, of course, for its wines. Thanks to its wine and gastronomic culture, Tuscany is one of the most visited regions in the whole country. An excursion to this area is one of the best things to see and do if you travel to Florence
Visiting some of its villages, vineyards and wineries from Florence is a highly recommended experience and almost a must. So in this post I tell you what are the main excursions from the Florentine city and what to do in the mythical Italian Tuscany.
1. Excursion to Chianti with wine tasting
Within Tuscany, Chianti is the most famous region for its wines. To visit it and taste some of the most famous Florentine wines in the world, it is best to book an organized excursion to Chianti. This type of activity includes the transfer from Florence and the visit to a couple of wineries with tastings of different types of wine.
In addition to tasting the wines, there is also the possibility of tasting other typical products of the area and buying them in the stores of the wineries. This type of tour usually stops in Greve in Chianti. One of the most representative and famous villages where the famous Chianti wines are sold. All accompanied by a professional guide.
- Price: From 47 euros.
- Duration: 5 hours.
- What's included: Round trip transportation from Florence, wine and product tasting in two wineries, stops in villages and panoramic photo stops and professional guide.
- Means of transport: By air-conditioned bus.
- Recommended if: You want to visit the most representative area of Tuscany and taste its best wines.
2. Excursion to Chianti with lunch
Book a full day excursion to Chianti with lunch. An activity that will take you on an extensive tour of the flavors of Tuscany. Accompanied by an expert guide, you will travel from Florence to Chianti to visit the family winery Villa le Corti, where you will be able to taste wine and olive oil, as well as sample local food flavors.
Then in Rignana, you will have time to enjoy a typical lunch of the region surrounded by one of the most incredible landscapes of Italy. Finally you will have the opportunity to complete the tastings of award winning wines of local production.
- Price: From 170 euros.
- Duration: 9 hours.
- What's included: Transportation from Florence, professional guide, transfer to a winery, tasting of 9 wine samples, 2 olive oil tastings, food tastings and traditional lunch.
- Means of transport: Air-conditioned 4x4 vehicle.
- Recommended if: You want to enjoy a complete gastronomic experience.
3. Excursion to Pisa, Siena, San Gimignano and Chianti
If you book a guided tour, an expert will take you to all the highlights of Tuscany. You will visit Pisa and its leaning tower, as well as tour the town. Then you can explore San Gimignano, one of the most popular excursions from Florence, and visit a family-run winery to enjoy a delicious local lunch tasting local wines.
After the wine tasting and the visit to this typical medieval town, you will see Chianti and Siena, where you can choose to take a guided tour or explore it at your own pace.
- Price: from 60 euros.
- Duration: about 11 hours
- What's included: Round trip transportation from Florence in an air-conditioned vehicle, professional guide, visit to Pisa, Siena, San Gimignano and Chianti, lunch and wine tasting.
- Means of transportation: Bus or air-conditioned vehicle.
- Recommended if: You are looking for a day trip to see and experience Italian Tuscany to the fullest.
4. Excursion to Montalcino, Val d'Orcia, Pienza and Montepulciano
This full-day excursion will take you to the four most important towns in Tuscany, with all transfers included and an expert guide for the entire experience.
You will visit Montalcino and a local winery, where you will taste its characteristic wine and tour its museum. Then you will reach the small town of Montepulciano, one of the most beautiful villages in Italian Tuscany, for a wine tasting. Then you will reach Pienza, for a cheese tasting
. Finally, you will reach Val d'Orcia where you will enjoy the most breathtaking landscapes of the region and you will be able to take lots of pictures.
- Price: From 84 euros
- Duration: 11-12 hours
- What's included: Private transportation to and from Florence, professional guide, visit to the towns of Montalcino, Val d'Orcia, Pienza and Montepulciano, wine and cheese tasting, tour of wineries and vineyards.
- Means of transport: Air-conditioned bus.
- Recommended if: You want a complete experience of the flavors and landscapes of Tuscany.
5. Excursion to the winery of Monteriggioni
Within the Chianti region there are many wineries but none like Monteriggioni. It owes its prestige not only to its spectacular wines, but also to its surroundings. This famous winery is located in a medieval fortress surrounded by vineyards and hills. A postcard worthy of Tuscany's fame.
The excursion to Siena, San Gimignano and Monteriggioni includes a wine tasting at the winery as well as other typical foods such as cheeses or fresh pasta. It also includes a professional guide who will accompany and advise us during the visit.
- Price: From 60 euros.
- Duration: 11 hours.
- What's includedTransportto and from Florence, professional guide, wine tasting and regional products.
- Means of transport: Bus or air-conditioned vehicle.
- Recommended if: You are a wine lover and want to visit one of the most prestigious wineries in Tuscany.
6. Castello di Volpaia and its famous wine cellars.
Castello di Volpaia is the name of a famous winery located in the medieval village of Volpaia. There are excursions that take us to this beautiful town to visit it, taste its wines in its cellars and taste its gastronomy in the restaurants of the village.
It is a highly recommended option for the beauty and tranquility of the village and for its gastronomic quality.
- Price: From 50 euros.
- Duration: 5 hours
- What's included: Round trip transportation from Florence in an air-conditioned vehicle, professional guide, free time in Volpaia, wine tasting in one of its cellars.
- Means of transport: Bus or air-conditioned vehicle.
- Recommended if: You want to experience Tuscany in a quiet way and in one of its best wineries.
7. Art and gastronomy in Badia a Passignano
Tuscany is not only wines. It is also history. And there are places that bring both together. One of them is the Badia a Passignano. This Benedictine abbey is located just outside Florence and houses important frescoes by the Italian artist Ghirlandaio. The abbey is also related to wine, as it was used for research on this beverage and the cultivation of the vine.
So much so that it is surrounded by vineyards and there is a local wine cellar where you can do a typical Tuscan wine tasting. Although the excursions include a guided tour of the abbey and a wine tasting, most do not include transportation as it is located only 33 kilometers from Florence.
- Price: From 20 euros.
- Duration: 2 hours.
- What's included: Guided tour of the abbey and wine tasting at a local winery.
- Means of transport: Not included.
- Recommended if: You have your own transport as a rental car and you want to spend a pleasant morning combining art and gastronomy.
8. Visit one of the most spectacular wineries in Tuscany: Antinori winery and vineyards
To visit the Antinori winery there are organized group tours that include transfer from Florence, a guided tour and a tasting at their facilities. The Antinori family is one of the most important in Tuscany and their winery is one of the oldest and most renowned. They have more than 600 years of history and currently amazes visitors with its spectacular and modern architecture in harmony with its landscapes.
- Price: From 120 euros (The price varies depending on the size of the groups).
- Duration: 4 to 5 hours.
- What's included: Transfer from Florence, tour of the facilities and wine tasting.
- Means of transportation: Private vehicle or bus.
- Recommended if: You want to visit the most spectacular and exclusive winery in Tuscany.
9. The Italian family spirit reflected in a vineyard: Poggio Amorelli
These vineyards always enter the lists of the best in Tuscany thanks in large part to the Mazzarrini family. The owners of these vineyards and cellars called Poggio Amorelli, have earned their fame for their hospitality as they offer tastings of their wine and dinners in their own home overlooking the vineyards.
Although there are guided tours with tastings, what the tours do not usually offer is transportation to the tours. However, it is close to Florence and driving to the vineyards is easy and does not take more than an hour.
- Price: From 25 euros.
- Duration: 2 hours.
- What's included: Visit of the vineyard, wine tasting and possibility to add dinner.
- Means of transport: Own.
- Recommended if: You have the possibility to go with your own vehicle and you want to enjoy the legendary Tuscan hospitality.
10. Lodging, wine and luxury at Castello di Verrazzano
In the heart of the district of Greve in Chianti, very close to Florence, stands this castle over 1000 years old now converted into a place for agritourism. You can visit and do a wine tasting together with a tour of the castle, its gardens and cellars. You can also dine and even stay in their rooms. The latter is considered a luxury option.
- Price: From 25 euros.
- Duration: 3 hours.
- What's included: Guided tour of the castle, wine tasting and the possibility of lunch and dinner plus accommodation.
- Means of transport: Own vehicle.
- Recommended if: You have your own vehicle and want to know what a luxury winery is like.