If you are planning what to see and do in Munich during your trip, you should definitely visit this aquarium. In its surroundings you will find a combination of sporting venues such as the Olympiapark München, its attractive Walk of Fame Olympic Park and you have the possibility to discover the depths of the oceans in the Munich Sea Life.
The fun is focused on the whole family in this area and if you are especially looking for activities to do with children, you should aim for the Sea Life aquarium. In this post you will find a practical guide with how to get tickets, attractions and tips to visit it.
How to buy tickets for the Sea Life in Munich
Sea Life Munich 's ticket purchasing policies are focused on providing a better service to visitors. Tickets can currently only be purchased online, visit their official website.
Also, if you prefer to pay at the ticket office, you must reserve your time in advance on their website.
The ticket is valid on the date and time chosen, however, in case of changes of plans, you can change the date in advance -up to 48 hours before admission-.
The aquarium is a busy place and this measure ensures that we offer a better service so that you always live a pleasant experience with the Sea Life family.
How much do tickets to Sea Life Munich cost?
The aquarium of the Bavarian capital offers 3 types of tickets:
- General admission. From €19.95 adults can enter Sea Life Munich at the specified time and date.
- Ticket + souvenir. From € 21.95 includes in addition to the general admission, digital access to the photos taken in the aquarium. With this ticket you enjoy the experience while the staff records your memories digitally. Afterwards you can choose your best images.
- Gold ticket. From 29.5 €, in addition to the above benefits, you will get a printed photograph and digital access to the entire album of your visit. You can also choose between a didactic book or an aquarium activity pack. And if your plans suffer a setback, you can cancel free of charge up to 24 hours before your visit.
The Sea Life Aquarium in Munich also offers two types of annual passes:
- The Sea Life Munich Basic Annual Pass. From 33.50 € it allows access to the aquarium 12 months a year, between Monday and Friday, except on public holidays, plus other benefits such as a 10% discount in the aquarium store.
- The Sea Life Munich Premium Annual Pass. Apart from discounts in the store and other benefits, from 55.5 € this pass allows access to the aquarium for 12 months without restriction of days or dates.
Important: for the purpose of tickets, an adult is considered to be any person from 15 years of age onwards.
Are there skip-the-line tickets to Munich Sea Life?
Following the online advance purchase policy as the only way to buy your tickets, Sea Life Munich reduces queues by only serving visitors at the time and date stated on their ticket.
This aquarium does not offer priority access tickets unlike other attractions. However, since only booked attendees attend, groups are small and there is no need to worry.
Are tickets to the Munich Sea Life included in a city sightseeing pass?
Good news - yes, it is included in a couple of the most popular sightseeing passes in the Bavarian capital:
- The Munich CITYPASS. From 47.90 € it gives you access to more than 45 attractions, parks and museums, including the Munich Sea Life Aquarium. Admission is included in this pass, you just need to book your time online before your visit.
- The Merlin Adventure Pass. From 104 € you buy unlimited access to Sea Life Munich and 12 other attractions such as LEGOLAND, Madame Tussauds Berlin, the Heide Park resort, The Dungeons and Gardaland Park among others.
- In addition, LEGOLAND text Annual Pass Plus holders have their tickets to the Sea Life locations in Munich, Konstanz and Speyer included.
Important: in all cases, you must book in advance on the official website.
Are there tickets that include a guided tour of the Munich Sea Life?
This aquarium does not offer a guided tour, although the aquarium staff is attentive at all times during the visit. Staff members are available to answer any questions you may have in German and English.
Group access is limited so that everyone can appreciate everything from seahorses to anemones and sharks.
Are there discounted tickets for the Munich Sea Life Aquarium?
Yes, again the answer is positive.
- The Munich CARD. From 5.90 € you will have the possibility of discounts for less than half of the prices in more than 70 venues, museums and other places of interest. You will enjoy a 20% discount on your admission to this aquarium.
Are there special tickets for children?
Yes, as in the case of adults - 15 years of age and older - children and young people between 3 and 14 years of age have several ticket options.
- General admission. From €15.95 children can enter Sea Life Munich at the specified time and date.
- Ticket + souvenir. Starting at €17.95, this includes, in addition to general admission, digital access to photos taken in the aquarium.
- Gold ticket. From 25.9 € in addition to the above benefits, you will receive a printed photograph and digital access to the entire album of your visit. You can also choose between a didactic book or an aquarium activity pack.
Children from 0 to 2 years old get free admission to Sea Life Munich.
Please note: in all cases, children and young people must be accompanied by an adult to enter and remain in the aquarium.
Are there special tickets for groups?
Yes, gather 10 people over 3 years old and bookyour group visit to enjoy the following benefits:
- Reduced general admission for all public. The price is from 12.50 € per child 3 years and older.
- Access to the digital photo album of the visit. Keep with you memories of the group without paying attention to your professional camera or your cell phone, you do not need to take pictures on your own, at the end of the visit you only need to download the images of your liking having enjoyed the tour carefree by your personal camera.
Important: children between 0 and 2 years old enter free of charge but do not count for group discounts.
Why is it worth buying tickets online instead of at the ticket office?
Remember that at the Sea Life it is mandatory to book your time in advance. The ideal travel scenario is to make the itinerary of the day, for example buying your tickets for the best tourist buses in Munich having checked the route and thus take advantage of the walk through the different points of the city that you can visit, such as this aquarium.
If you want to make the most of your visit to Germany, I recommend you to buy your tickets in advance. Anyway, at least in the case of this Sea Life, you will have to go to their website to book.
Opening hours of the Sea Life Aquarium Munich
Monday to Sunday from 09:00 hours to 18:00 hours in high season (July, August, September and December). The rest of the year the schedule is from 10:00 hours to 17:00 hours.
Schedules may change under special conditions. To check a particular date I invite you to visit the Sea Life Aquarium's calendar of dates.
How much time do you need to visit the Munich Sea Life Aquarium?
Access to the facilities takes place every 30 minutes and it is estimated that you will need between 1.5 to 2 hours inside the aquarium to get to know all the attractions of the place.
The area where adults and children spend the most time is visiting the sharks, there are more than 20 species.
Best time to visit the Munich Sea Life Aquarium
This aquarium is open all year round except for public holidays in Germany but since it is an indoor activity perfect for rainy days and low temperatures, it is ideal to book this activity among your things to do in Munich in winter.
A great time to make the visit is December, when travel itineraries in the German lands are starring the best tours and activities to do at Christmas, especially if you are traveling with children.
How to get to the Munich Sea Life Aquarium
This aquarium is located in the middle of the Olympiapark, its address is: Willi-Daume-Platz 1, 80809, Munich.
- Walking from the Olympiazentrum subway station, it will take you about 8 minutes to walk the 650 meters that separate them.
- Another option, also by subway, is to get off at Petuelring station and cover the 850 meters that separate them through the Olympiapark in 10 minutes.
By private car
If you go from the Old Town you can travel by B2R for 9.6 km. Near the aquarium you will find four parking lots, the closest being Parkdeck Olympiapark located at Spiridon-Louis-Ring 7, 80809.
By tourist bus
The Munich sightseeing bus also has a stop at Petuelring, the location is convenient.
What not to miss in Munich Sea Life
The stars of the aquarium are:
With more than 20 species living in its facilities, this is the aquarium with the largest variety of sharks in Germany.
Here you will find the carpet sharks - of Japanese origin - as well as cat sharks, dog sharks and other species. They live together in a special huge ocean basin.
They are undoubtedly the main attraction of the place, you can not miss the basin with these feisty fish, especially if you want to meet the HAI-LIGHT nurse shark, a Pünktchen zebra shark that dominates the terrain at ease.
The tropical island
In the depths of the ocean there are dangerous animals as well as its shores and in the Munich Sea Life a special selection of these species is gathered.
Poisonous frogs, green water dragons, huge turtles, giant insects, reptiles... a whole tropical island on German soil.
Cetaceans and others
Variety of cetaceans and other marine species such as sturgeons, the dreaded compass jellyfish and other rescued animals.
Tips for a visit to Sea Life Munich
- Reserve in advance. Other aquariums allow purchase at the box office, but in this case you can only pay for pre-booked tickets. You may quickly log in with your phone and make a last minute purchase but it's a lottery. The place is as small as it is cozy and kids usually have a great time enjoying the activities and marine life.
- Leave your pet at home. Sea Life Aquarium Munich does not allow pets. However, in the case of pet dogs, your best friend will be welcome, you just have to present the documentation supporting their official function.
- Be on time for your appointment. Try to arrive at the aquarium at least 10 minutes before the agreed time and date to respect the organization of the place, your time and that of other visitors. The aquarium staff does not guarantee that you will be able to access the next available time slot and itinerary changes are only accepted in advance.
On the other hand, if you arrive early and have small children, you can use one of the stools at the entrance to facilitate a clearer view of the pools. There is no charge, but please remember to leave them at the ticket office at the exit so that other visitors can use them.
- The aquarium accepts babies, in fact up to 2 years old they enter free of charge. However, strollers are not recommended. Some areas are narrow and for the best view of everyone they will allow you to leave them at the entrance of the aquarium free of charge.
Other activities offered by the Munich Sea Life Aquarium
School activities. Combine theoretical and practical learning by coordinating a trip from your school to the aquarium with children from kindergarten to high school. From 5.5 € per child you can coordinate a visit to the aquarium for educational fun. You can book this activity here.
Young environmentalists program. You can learn about the work of the aquarists by participating in this project. Children under 15 years old are welcome. For more information, please write to [email protected].
If you are in Olympiapark you might be interested in
The Sea Life Aquarium in Munich is a cozy place that children enjoy to the fullest, but let's be honest, it is small. Nevertheless, its location is privileged. The surrounding area of Olympiapark presents an interesting range of places to complete a perfect day in the area.
Some of the options available:
For the family. You can walk to the Olympiaturm, walk down to the Walk of Fame Olympic Park, enjoy the dreamy panoramas at the Olympic Tower, even take pictures at the Dalai Lama Friedens Botschaft or join one of the events at the Kino am Olympiasee, a place with everything to have fun in good company.
For the little ones: head to the Trampolympia amusement park just 500 meters from the aquarium. Take the kids to defy gravity in one of Munich's most beautiful green spaces.
Did you know that
The Olympiaturm was built for the 1972 Munich Olympic Games. Today it is a popular leisure and sports center in the Bavarian capital.