If you are visiting Boston during the month of July, you are very lucky, because it is one of the best months to visit the city, not only because of the wonderful weather but also because of the great number of events available.
In July you will find activities for all tastes, from concerts to pizza festivals and Boston never ceases to surprise its visitors. There are many things to see and do in Boston throughout the year, but July is for me the best time to visit the city.
1. Enjoy one of the many free concerts at the Hatch Shell
Throughout the summer, Boston hosts a series of wonderful concerts at the famous Hatch Shell along the Charles River esplanade. Every Wednesday in July, the Boston Landmarks Orchestra offers free concerts at the Hatch Shell for everyone to enjoy.
Bring a blanket or some chairs to enjoy a family picnic, as the City of Boston has everything ready for you to have a wonderful evening of entertainment and great music on the banks of the Charles River.
Interesting details about this event
- When: Every Wednesday in July.
- Where: on the banks of the Charles River at the Hatch Shell.
- Price: it's free.
2. Take part in one of over 200 events during Boston Harborfest
Boston Harborfest is an annual festival celebrating Boston's maritime and colonial history.
You can enjoy over 200 different events taking place throughout the week in Boston's historic downtown and waterfront districts, as well as major events taking place in City Hall Plaza.
Typically, the event kicks off at Faneuil Hall with a giant patriotic cake and extends throughout Independence Day weekend at Boston's historic sites with hundreds of different activities.
These events are family-friendly and are part of one of the largest Fourth of July festivals in the country. Choose which of the Boston Harborfest activities to participate in.
Activities vary from year to year, so visit the official event website to see the different options that are announced.
3. Take advantage of the good weather to take a guided walking tour of the city of Boston
Boston is a very walk able city and you can find things to do in many areas to suit all tastes, all ages and all budgets. The month of July is ideal for touring the city on foot because the weather is very pleasant.
You can opt for one of the many guided tours in the city to get to know it in depth. If you don't know where to start looking, you can start by looking at the 10 best guided tours in Boston and choose the one you like the most.
Don't forget to bring a hat and sunscreen, the weather is nice but the sun is very strong at this time of the year.
4. Attend the Chinatown Main Street Festival
The annual Chinatown Main Street Festival in Boston takes place in early July. This event is fun, festive, family friendly and admission is free.
This initiative already has several years of history and arose as a response of Chinatown merchants to a crisis in the neighborhood. The intention of this festival is, in addition to publicize the Chinese culture of the city, to attract tourists and boost trade in the area.
During this festival, you will have the opportunity to enjoy demonstrations of martial arts, traditional Chinese dances and Asian crafts. In addition, you will be able to enjoy delicious Chinese food.
Follow Chinatown Main Street on Facebook to find out all the activities available for the month of July.
Details of this activity
- When: First week of July.
- Where: Chinatown, Boston.
- Price: it's free
5. Attend a Red Sox game at Fenway Park
To try to understand the fanaticism that Bostonians feel for their local baseball team, the Red Sox, there is nothing better than going to a game at their Fenway Park stadium.
Season tickets sell out easily so it's best to secure yours and buy them online in advance.
During the month of July the weather is optimal for attending games, usually at night so the temperatures are not hot and not cold, making the experience much more enjoyable.
6. Have a late night picnic and enjoy a movie
During the warm summer months, Bostonians take full advantage of outdoor activities and often have picnics while watching free movies.
In the month of July, outdoor movies are shown at various locations in Boston at night. This is an ideal activity to do as a couple if you are a romantic person.
There is nothing better than sitting on a blanket in a park in the moonlight watching a movie. If you are traveling with children this is also a good alternative to spend a relaxing time with your family.
You can watch outdoor movies in Boston at various parks and squares. Check the calendar of outdoor movies in Boston and choose the one you like the most.
You can explore other activities to do at night in Boston and have different experiences.
7. Pick your own blueberries at a local farm
With the summer heat, there's no better and more refreshing way to keep the kids entertained than picking fruit. It's the perfect season to pick fresh, juicy blueberries at one of the many farms around Boston.
Taking a trip to a farm is a great way to teach kids where their food comes from while keeping them active and entertained.
If you're not sold on going to a farm to pick this fruit, there are many more activities to do with kids in Boston, but if you're up for it, here are a few places where you can do it.
Boston HIll Farm
- Address: 1370 Turnpike Street, North Andover, MA, 01845.
- Phone: (978) 681-8556.
- E-mail: [email protected]
- Address: 89 Pleasant Street South Natick, MA 01760.
- Phone: (508) 745-3697
8. Cruise the Charles River
One of the favorite activities for locals and tourists during the month of July in Boston is to embark on a cruise and enjoy the day sailing on the Charles River. The weather in July is the best of the year for sailing, the waters are calm, there is not as much wind as in other months and the temperature is ideal.
You can spend a few wonderful hours, in a natural and peaceful environment, while observing the city of Boston and its surroundings from a different angle.
Cruises on the Charles River are an excellent experience for the whole family and introduce the little ones to nautical activities.
9. Fridays in July are free fun days in Boston
During the month of July, the Highland Street Foundation offers you the opportunity to visit more than 100 Boston area venues for free, including museums, theaters, shows, etc. through its popular Free Fun Fridays program.
Every Friday you will have the opportunity to visit up to 10 of these ven ues for free.
This program has already been used by thousands of visitors to get to know interesting places in the city. Get to know the mission of the Highland Street Foundation and participate in the activities offered for free during the month of July in Boston.
10. Delight in the Boston Pizza Festival
The Boston Pizza Festival is much more than just eating all the pizza you can eat, you'll also enjoy live entertainment and games.
This event is a two-day outdoor festival with live music, food and prizes. Vendors serve all kinds of pizzas, gluten-free, vegan, Neapolitan, and more.
If you're not in Boston during the two-day festival, don't worry. If you're passionate about pizza, you can still try it on an exclusive food tour of Boston.
Useful information about Boston
- Where: City Hall Plaza
- When: usually held during the first or second weekend of July, from 11:00 am to 10:00 pm.
- Price: from about 15 dollars (20 if you buy the ticket at the box office).
Temperatures and weather in Boston during the month of July
July is one of the hottest months of the year in Boston. Temperatures can be over 26 degrees Celsius during the day. While it is true that at night temperatures drop sharply, to around 16 degrees Celsius, it is also true that at times during the day the heat can be scorching.
When planning your trip, check the weather in Boston during the summer to find out what the weather will be like during your visit to the city.
Tourist flow in Boston during the month of July
July is one of the busiest months of the year for visitors to Boston. It can be difficult to get tickets to attractions if you don't book in advance.
It can also be difficult to find a seat at the busiest restaurants if you don't book in advance. If you want to secure your spot at some of the major attractions, such as the Boston Aquarium, you may want to purchase tickets online.
Another great advantage of buying your tickets in advance is that in many cases you will be able to skip the lines and save not only a lot of money but also a lot of time.
Prices in Boston during the month of July
July is not only the busiest but also the most expensive month in Boston. There are many free activities to do in the city during July, but the city's main attractions remain fee-based.
To reduce the costs of traveling to Boston in July and to enjoy the city in one of the best months of the year, it is an excellent idea to buy one of the city's tourist passes.
Both the Boston CardPASS and the Go Boston Card will allow you to save a lot of money during your trip. Many tickets are free if you are a holder of one of these cards, in other cases you can get discounts of about 50% on tickets. You will also get discounts at restaurants, transportation and stores.
What to pack for Boston in July
If you are visiting Boston in the middle of summer, don't forget your bathing suit, sunscreen, sunglasses and sandals to enjoy a day at the beach or your hotel's pool.
For touring the city, make sure to bring cool clothes and comfortable, ventilated shoes if possible.
Remember that, although it is summer, temperatures drop quite a bit at night, so bring a jacket as well.
If you plan to go out at night to a restaurant, theater or concert, it is advisable to wear more formal clothes, as this is what Bostonians usually wear in these places at night.
Tips for visiting Boston in July
- Plan your trip ahead of time and prepare your itinerary in advance, buying as many tickets as you can online. During July many activities are sold out at the box office due to the massive influx of people. Also, take advantage of the fact that buying tickets online often gives you the option of skipping the queues.
- It is advisable to have already solved the transfer from the airport to the hotel and vice versa to avoid carrying suitcases during the transfer and to be able to come and go without worrying about driving. Check Boston airport transfer options and book in advance.
- If you plan to eat at one of the most famous restaurants in the city, those with Michelin stars, for example, keep in mind that many of them have a waiting list of months to get a table, so book as soon as possible.
- Carry a sunscreen, post-sun balm and lip balm with UV filter always with you in your outdoor activities, especially if you plan to go sailing. The sun can be very scorching in July in Boston.
- If you are traveling with children, avoid the hottest hours of the day for outdoor activities and also bring a bottle of water for them, something to keep them entertained if they get bored. It is also advisable to bring a snack in case the little ones get hungry between meals. Since the weather is very hot, fruits and juices are the best options.
- If you plan to do a lot of walking, in addition to comfortable shoes, bring several bottles of water for you and your group.
- If you are traveling to Boston for the first time, avoid getting separated from your group and if you do, be sure to bring all your hotel information with you when you return.
- As in all big cities in the United States, there are neighborhoods that are not a good alternative for sightseeing, check with your hotel which are the dangerous areas of the city and avoid going near them.
- Opt for public transportation, the subway and bus networks are excellent in Boston and save you not only gas money but also the stress of having to drive around the city.
- Buy the Boston cardPASS or the Go Boston Card. These are two different types of tourist passes that give you free access to many places and significant discounts at others. It is estimated that holders of either of these two passes have an average savings of 47% on their activities in Boston, if you add to that, that you also get discounts at various restaurants and stores, the savings can be even greater.
- Prepare your camera, cell phones, laptops and all their accessories in advance, many times in the rush before leaving we forget the chargers and it can be a considerable setback to go out and look for compatible chargers.