Because before venturing among the best things to do and see in Cusco you must go through its front door, here you will find the definitive guide on transfers between the Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport and the fascinating city of Cusco.
From the shared transfer that connects you with other travelers to the luxury of a private transfer, through the famous "combis", in this article you will find their prices, advantages and a comparison for you to choose the option that suits your tastes, needs and budget. Let's go there!
1. Shared transfer from Alejandro Velasco airport to Cusco: economic but uncommon option
Once you leave the airport, you will be greeted by a group of travelers, often with the same destination: the Plaza de Armas, the meeting place and starting point to immerse yourself in the wonders of Cusco. Together, you could share the ride in a comfortable vehicle with capacity for several passengers like those offered by Uber.
However, it is important to keep in mind that the shared transfer may take longer than other alternatives, as you must wait for all passengers to arrive and settle into the vehicle. Also, the transfer itinerary may vary depending on everyone's location. However, if you have the time and are willing to immerse yourself in the true essence of travel, the shared transfer is a comfortable option at a good price.
Shared transfers have gained popularity around Europe and in Latin America the growth of this type of transportation has been timid, but as locals and tourists feel safe and competitively priced, more people are joining this movement.
Details of interest
- Duration of the trip: 20 - 25 minutes.
- Price: from 1 €.
- Advantages of using this method: this type of transfer offers several advantages. First of all, it is an economical option, since the cost is divided among the travelers. The average cost is 20 soles, about 5 €, each passenger will pay 1 or 2 € at most and will be transferred in a cab. It also gives you the opportunity to meet people from different cultures and countries, thus enriching your travel experience.
- How to book this transportation: by logging into the Uber app directly.
- Recommended if: you are looking for an economical option with a company with international presence.
2. Private transfer from Alejandro Velasco airport to Cusco: comfortable, safe and personalized service
For those travelers who want a more personalized and convenient experience, the private transfer from the airport to Cusco is the ideal option. Upon arrival at Teniente Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport, you will be greeted by a friendly driver who will be waiting to take you to your destination. Whether you are traveling alone, as a couple or in a group, you will enjoy an exclusive trip, without unnecessary delays or detours.
Your trip will be carried out in a comfortable vehicle equipped with air conditioning and supervised through a 24-hour centralized dispatch system with GPS tracking. A professional representative will ensure that your transfer is safe and comfortable. The transfer operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so you can book at any time.
Say goodbye to the stress of navigating public transportation or haggling with cab drivers. With a private transfer, you'll arrive at your hotel, downtown or straight to the train station to join your Machu Picchu excursion from Cusco. Whichever destination you prefer, arrive fresh and ready to follow the Inca Trail.
Details of interest
- Travel time: 20 - 25 minutes.
- Price: from 8 €.
- Advantages of using this method: comfort and privacy are the pillars of this type of transfer. You will be able to relax and enjoy the scenery while heading to Cusco, without having to worry about sharing the space with strangers. On the other hand, this type of transfer is ideal if you are visiting Cusco with your family, since you can choose between 2 to 16 seats. In addition, flexibility is another great advantage of the private transfer, as it allows you to choose the departure time that suits you best and stop at any point along the way.
- How to book this transfer: on the website of your preferred operator.
- Recommended if: you want to travel comfortably, safely and with personalized attention.
3. Train transfer from Alejandro Velasco airport to Cusco: ideal option for long itineraries
The train is a classic means of transportation in Peru that offers a pleasant travel experience with guides, comfortable and well-equipped carriages, to relax and enjoy the panoramic view of the mountains, valleys and rivers that unfold along the way. However, the closest station to the Cusco airport is Wanchaq, located 4 kilometers from the airport.
To opt for the train service, the alternative is bimodal, a combination of bus/minibus/taxi and train. This type of transfer is functional if your lodging is in the province of Urubamba, Ollantaytambo, Poroy or Aguas Calientes. The latter, by the way, is the best way if your intention is to get to Machu Picchu from Cusco in the fastest way, since it is located 10 kilometers from the site.
Train transfers give you the opportunity to admire the natural beauty of the Andes from panoramic windows, you can see waterfalls, snow-capped peaks and picturesque Andean villages. It is not only a means of transportation, but an experience in itself, which will leave a lasting impression in your memory.
Details of interest
- Duration of the trip: depends on the destination you choose outside the center of Cusco.
- Price: from 5 €.
- Advantages of using this method: this option is perfect for those who wish to fully immerse themselves in the grandeur of the region and contemplate spectacular scenery as they make their way to their destination.
- How to book this transportation: visit the website of PeruRail, the flagship company of the service.
- Recommended if: you plan to visit Cusco in 5 days or more, given the travel time for the combination of transport.
4. Bus transfer from Alejandro Velasco airport to Cusco: the cheapest option.
The Cusco airport does not have a special bus for transfers to the city center. However, this is the most popular option. How is that possible? Because of the variety of alternatives and better prices. You can go to the center by bus in the following way:
With the tourist bus
In Cusco there are two types of tourist bus service. You find the classic Hop on Hop off that runs through 13 of the emblematic sites of the city.
This bus is identified as in most of the world by its distinctive red color, in this case it does not pass through the airport. However, you find the Cusco Hop on Hop off, a local company that in addition to making the typical tourist bus tour, also offers transfer service from the airport to your accommodation in Cusco for a small fee.
Details of interest
- Duration of the trip: 20 - 30 minutes.
- Price: from 8 €.
- Advantages of using this method: you have the comfort of traveling in an air-conditioned minivan that takes you from the airport to your accommodation. The service is reliable and safe. You can anticipate this service online. Up to 9 passengers are accepted in each unit, perfect for traveling with family or friends.
- How to book this transportation: online, visiting the Cusco Hop on Hop off page.
- Recommended yes: if you are traveling as a couple or with friends (the service is available from 2 passengers) and you want to ensure your transportation service from the airport at a competitive price with comfort and safety.
With the "combis
If your adventurous spirit goes hand in hand with a tight budget, the transfer in the famous minibuses, better known as "combis" from Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport to Cusco, is the perfect choice for you. While this option may not be the most popular among travelers, it offers an economical and convenient way to get to your accommodation.
Once you leave the airport, you head towards the bustling Velasco Astete Avenue, where you will find the bus stop. These minibuses with a capacity of about 25 passengers pass there quite regularly. RTU 12 is the main line covering the route, and before boarding the bus, you can ask the driver for your destination.
These vehicles will take you to the center of Cusco, and you can get off at Avenida El Sol, Huayrurupata, Plaza de Armas, Plaza San Francisco and more. You can ask the driver before boarding. For your convenience, you will find a list of stops on the side of the bus, so you can choose the one that best suits your needs.
While this option may take longer than others, it is a unique opportunity to enjoy the trip in its entirety, and perhaps discover unexpected places along the way. It is a good alternative if you have light luggage and feel like immersing yourself in the local culture from the moment you step on board.
Details of interest
- Duration of the trip: 25 - 35 minutes.
- Price: from 0,5 €.
- Advantages of using this method: this option is the most economical. It will allow you to allocate more budget to explore and enjoy the wonders of Cusco once you arrive.
- How to book this transport: no reservation is required, you just have to take a unit on Avenida Velasco Astete, in front of the airport exit.
- Recommended if: you are traveling on a low budget and have time.
5. Cab transfer from Alejandro Velasco airport to Cusco: the fastest, most practical and most expensive option
If you prefer a faster and more convenient option, cab transfer from Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport to Cusco is an excellent choice. Cabs are readily available right outside the terminal and will take you directly to your destination in the city without making additional stops.
At the airport exit you will see a horde of cab drivers whipping tourists around, but their prices tend to be much higher - approximately 15 to 20 € - even though the fare is around 8 €. It is important to agree on the fare with the driver before getting into the cab to avoid unpleasant surprises. Especially because cabs in Cusco do not usually have a taximeter, so this point is important.
Another important aspect is to make sure you make the change to local soles at the airport, at least for this expense, although it is true that the exchange houses in the historic center offer better rates, it is no less true that most cab drivers do not accept cards so, carry some cash in local currency is best.
Opting for a cab gives you the comfort of a private and personalized trip. You can enjoy the ride at your own pace and without having to share space with other passengers. In addition, local cab drivers usually know the city well and can give you recommendations on places of interest, restaurants and activities in Cusco.
Details of interest
- Duration of the trip: 15 - 20 minutes.
- Price: from 8 €.
- Advantages of using this method: you travel comfortable, fast and with personalized service.
- How to book this transportation: no reservations are made, unless you decide to use a service like Uber, recommended if you have data available on your phone.
- Recommended yes: cab transfer is ideal if you want to get to your destination quickly, value privacy and convenience. It is a particularly recommended option if you are carrying heavy luggage or if you are traveling in a small group and want to optimize your transfer time.
Can I rent a car at Alejandro Velasco airport in Cusco?
Yes you can! And it is recommended as long as you like adventures behind the wheel and you don't mind improvising from time to time. Let me explain, they are good routes, the problem is that these roads are not well signposted.
Although these are not the winding streets of the French Riviera or some of the dangerous roads of Peru, there are curves and the mountains often interfere with the GPS. Now, if you feel like exploring Cusco at your own pace, renting a car at Alejandro Velasco Airport is the perfect option for you.
When you arrive at the airport, a variety of companies like Sixt Rent a Car or Wellas Rent-A-Car and local Peruvian agencies await you, ready to rent you a car. Imagine driving along the scenic roads, surrounded by majestic mountains and breathtaking landscapes. The freedom to choose your own way and stop at breathtaking places is something that only a true adventure can offer.
It is important to note that the availability of units may vary depending on the time and day of your arrival so I advise you to make your reservation in advance. The average daily cost for a sedan car is 35 €, remember that prices may vary in special situations, such as high demand days or adverse weather conditions, but don't let that stop you - the thrill of embarking on your own journey is just a few steps away!
Comparison of airport transfers from the airport to Cusco
- Shared transfer from Alejandro Velasco airport to Cusco
- Economic but uncommon option
- Approximately 1 - 2 €.
- 20 - 25 minutes
- Private transfer from Alejandro Velasco Airport to Cusco
- Comfortable, safe option with personalized attention
- Starting at 8 €
- 20 - 30 minutes
- Transfer by train from Alejandro Velasco airport to Cusco
- Ideal option for itineraries of 5 days or more.
- From 5 €.
- It will depend on the destination you choose outside the center of Cusco.
- Transfer by bus from Alejandro Velasco airport to Cusco
- The cheapest option and with irregular itineraries of the list.
- From 0,5 €
- 25 - 35 minutes
- Cab transfer from Alejandro Velasco airport to Cusco
- The fastest, most practical and most expensive option
- From 8 €
- 15 - 20 minutes.