Basketball fans "made in the USA" know it all too well: the Boston Celtics are a true institution. The fans are "hot" as well as demanding, the greats of the sport have played here and left their mark. For all these reasons, it's worth seeing an NBA game during your vacation in Massachusetts.
What NBA games can you watch in Boston?
The metropolis of Massachusetts has only one team: the Boston Celtics. When the NBA played its first championship, the green-and-whites were already present. After an initial settling-in phase, the New England team has achieved a series of successes - such as the mythical "Dynasty" that took place between 1959 and 1966 - that have taken them to the Olympus of this competition.
Boston Celtics fans were able to admire some of the greatest players in American basketball: the legendary "Bill the Hill" Bill Russell (his jersey number 33 was retired as a mark of respect), Larry Bird, Robert Parish and, in more recent times, Jayson Tatum and Derrick White.
The Boston Celtics play their home games at the TD Garden, a multifunctional building in the West End neighborhood. If you're in the mood for a guided tour, I recommend purchasing the Go Boston Card, a card that includes several city attractions, including TD Garden.
Where to buy tickets to watch the NBA in Boston?
The best way to buy them is through our website. Hellotickets has an agreement with the Boston Celtics to sell their tickets in our country. You will have the security of receiving them on time while avoiding counterfeit tickets.
Moreover, booking them in advance gives you the opportunity to dedicate yourself only to your trip on the East Coast. If you really can't make it in advance, the ticket office is located at North Station (135 Causeway Street).
How much does it cost to see an NBA game in Boston?
On average, a ticket for a single Celtics game usually costs around 80 ¤. However, it depends on the opponent. If the opponent has a lot of quality or is a historical rival, this number can easily inflate. It is not uncommon to find a single ticket for more than 200 €.
Another factor to consider is the time of the season. If you travel to Boston during the playoffs, finding a ticket is quite difficult. You can find something on the secondary market but you should keep in mind that the average price is $250. I recommend you to buy them on the official channels well in advance.
How to save on NBA tickets in Boston
Traveling to Massachusetts and wondering how to spend less on your tickets, you may want to keep the following tips in mind:
- If you travel to Boston in October you can find cheaper tickets. It is the beginning of the season and there are many competitions going on: the MLB playoffs and the NFL and NHL seasons. With so much competition it is easy to find a good value for money.
- Reserve a seat for Monday or Wednesday games. Statistically, prices are much lower compared to weekends.
- Algorithms have shown that the Balcony 322 and Lodge 7 sectors are the most demanded by those who want to save money.
- Avoid Lakers matchups. Any Celtics fan would go to great lengths to see the Californians beat the Lakers.
What are the best seats at TD Garden?
According to those in the know, the best seats for the Celtics are located in Lodge 1, Row 2. If you're wondering why I'm being so specific, the answer is simple. This spot is located between the two dugouts, a factor that gives you the opportunity to both watch the game and monitor the coaches' movements.
If that wasn't enough, there is a slight elevation here, which guarantees a good view of the court. Overall, there are not bad seats at TD Garden. If you choose a chair in the highest part (Balcony), perhaps it would be better to opt for a central area so as not to have a "distorted" view of the playing rectangle.
Can I visit the TD Garden if I'm not going to a game?
Yes, inside the TD Garden - precisely on Premium Levels 5 and 6 - is the Sports Museum. This cultural institution celebrates the successes of two local teams: the Boston Bruins and Boston Celtics. Not only will you see the memorabilia linked to field hockey and basketball, but you will discover how these disciplines have shaped the very spirit of the city.
As usual, you can visit 3 or 4 times a day and the tour lasts about an hour. As for the price, it is around $20 while a children's ticket is about half the price. For more information, you can have a look at the official website.
When to watch a Boston Celtics game
As one of the NBA's most successful teams, the Green and White have made a lot of enemies. If you like big challenges, I recommend you check the schedule before planning your vacation on the East Coast.
The Celtics' biggest and most famous rival resides in California and goes by the name of the Los Angeles Lakers. The rivalry was born in the era of Bird and Johnson, when the two teams were competing for the ring. The rivalry is so heartfelt that ESPN made a successful miniseries: Celtics/Lakers: The Greatest Enemies.
When they meet, the games are spectacular and the atmosphere unforgettable. However, there are other teams that attract thousands of passionate fans:
- Chicago Bulls, the Mid-west team is often a tough nut to crack. The games are intense and often decided at the last minute.
- Philadelphia 76ers. After eliminating Russell's Celtics in the playoffs in 1967, fans chanted "Boston is dead, Boston is dead". A difficult affront to swallow
- Detroit Pistons, the recurring opponent in the 1980s. The two teams hold a record: the lowest score since the 24-second shot clock was added. On May 10, 2002, the Celtics beat Michigan 66-64.
- Miami Heat, a newly intensified rivalry after the arrival of LeBron James in Florida, has lost to the New York Knicks.
- New York Knicks, has lost the intensity of the past but let's be honest, Boston and the Big Apple can't get along.
How long is an NBA game?
First of all, it is good to remember that in basketball the game time is effective. The stopwatch is stopped every time there is a foul or the ball leaves the court. In general, each game consists of four 12-minute halves for a total duration of 48 minutes.
Time-outs are also to be taken into account. This term refers to the temporary suspension of the match requested by one of the two teams. Each team can have 6 time-outs. Not only the coach can call it, but also the players.
Do children pay admission to the TD Garden?
It depends on the age. In the case of the Boston Celtics, children under 2 years of age do not have to pay admission. Children must be seated on a parent's lap. Celtics fans are very "hot" and the games are usually very loud.
If you think you might feel disoriented or even scared, it might be better to opt for a different activity. If you are traveling to the East Coast with your little ones, I recommend reading the post dedicated to 10 things to do in Boston with kids.
Are there games at Christmas time?
Of course there are! On Christmas Day 2021, for example, the NBA scheduled 5 games in each city. It may be the occasion to spend a different December 25. Besides, winter in Massachusetts is characterized by low temperatures and basketball arenas are a good option to escape the cold.
In case you are visiting the East Coast metropolis at this time of the year, I recommend you to read the article on 10 things to see and do in Boston in December.
Now you know almost all the important aspects of watching the NBA in Boston. All that's missing are a few tips, which you'll find below.
Where to eat
The food stands at the TD Garden are of good quality but, as is often the case in stadiums, the price is higher than in the rest of the city. For this reason, I recommend a few places to satisfy your hunger before (or after) the game:
- Banners, a restaurant with a large screen, ideal for enjoying live sports. If you can't find a seat at the TD Garden, it can be an ideal option (82 Causeway Street).
- Bodega Canal, a Mexican restaurant with a lot of style. It also has a good selection of Margaritas (57 Canal Street).
- A & B Burgers, specializing in high-quality burgers. The restaurant collaborates with small family farms that produce sustainably raised beef (206 Cabot Street Beverly).
- Half Time Pizza. In addition to classic American pizzas, it is famous for specialties such as Yes! The Taco Pizza (with chili-style ground beef, mozzarella, cheddar, Doritos and sour cream) and Halftime Supreme with mozzarella, pepperoni, sausage, meatballs, mushrooms, black olives, purple onions and jalapenos (115 Causeway Street).
- The Greatest Bar, a sports bar that turns into a club at night. If you feel like enjoying the Boston nightlife, this is your place (262 Friend Street).
- Alcove, American cuisine with Mediterranean touches (50 Lovejoy Wharf)
Where to park
The North Station Garage, located under the TD Garden, is the best option. It usually offers a flat rate of around $50 if you leave your car 3 hours before the event. Alternatively, you can opt for:
- Lovejoy Wharf (163 N Beverly Street).
- Stanhope Garage (123 Merrimac Street)
- 107 Merrimac St Garage (107 Merrimac Street)
When to go to the arena?
In Boston, basketball is almost a religion. Fans faithfully follow the team and support it from the first minute to the end. For this reason, I recommend going to the sports arena well in advance. You will travel more relaxed and avoid the "traffic jam" that usually forms at the entrance.
Of course it is! What's more, when it was renovated, the TD Garden installed a high-density Wi-Fi network. If you're wondering what this is all about, the answer is simple. This name identifies all those networks designed to provide simultaneous coverage to several WLAN clients.
How to get to TD Garden
The Boston Celtics arena is just a few minutes' walk from downtown. If you don't want to (or can't) drive, public transportation comes to your aid. North Station subway station (closest to TD Garden) is on the Orange and Green lines. The light rail (B, C, D and E lines) also stops here.