When you get off the plane after a long flight, you should ideally have a fast and safe means of transportation to the city center or its surroundings. In this regard, you will have no problem getting from Palermo airport to Taormina. And, in this air terminal, you will find several options to move to your next destination: shared service, private, bus, train and cab.
Next, you will know in detail each of the services mentioned. In this way, you will be able to evaluate their positive and negative aspects to finally select the transfer that best suits your needs (price, speed, comfort). Thus, your only concern will be to discover the best things to do in Taormina during your stay.
1. A shared transfer, comfort at a reasonable price
The shared transfer mode offers a special route on board a bus or minibus, which will take you from Palermo airport to Taormina. It is a route with some detours, according to the stops of the other passengers. However, you will enjoy a comfortable service at a reasonable price.
For this transfer between Palermo airport and Taormina, you should book the service at least 24 hours in advance. So, when you get off the plane and go to the arrival hall of the airport, you will find a driver with a sign with your name on his hands. You will have to approach, identify yourself and he will immediately accompany you to the bus.
With this shared transfer service you will get several benefits. Some of them are:
- Reasonable price: because this means of transfer offers a price below that offered by the private service and cabs, thus having the opportunity to save an important amount of money.
- Comfort: you will be able to relax during the trip to Taormina, since these buses have cushioned and reclining seats. In addition, you will have Wi-Fi service and power outlets to charge your devices.
- Availability: the shared transfer is usually available 24 hours a day, so you do not have to worry about a delay in the arrival of your flight.
This is an alternative that has become very popular among tourists, being ideal for those times when you travel in large groups, in order to save money, so you can enjoy the best things to do in Taormina at night or during the day. This is because the minibuses usually have a maximum capacity of 20 people and the buses have a maximum capacity of 50 people.
- Duration of the trip: approximately 4 hours (time may vary according to traffic conditions).
- Price: the average price of this transfer could be from 200 €.
- Advantages of using this method: if your flight is delayed you will not miss the transfer service, as the buses are available 24 hours a day and you will be quickly assigned another one.
- How to book this transportation: you will have to connect with one of the transfer companies through their website. There, you will provide some information regarding the number of passengers, the day and time of your arrival. In addition, you will have to confirm the method of payment.
- Recommended if... you want to transfer between Palermo airport and Taormina at a reasonable price, but without neglecting comfort.
2. A private transfer, comfort and exclusivity
Private transfers between Palermo airport and Taormina, are a good choice if you want an exclusive service. You will travel comfortably in a car, without having to share it with strangers.
Once you get off the plane and you have your bags in your hands, you will have to go to the arrival hall of the airport. In that area the driver will be waiting for you. You will be able to identify him quickly, as he will be holding a sign with your name on it. You will only have to identify yourself and then he will accompany you to the car (for 1 to 3 people) or van (for 4 to 7 people).
The driver will also drop you off directly at the door of your hotel. Then you can start enjoying the itinerary you have planned for your stay in the medieval city, either by taking one of the best tours of Taormin, or discovering its gastronomy through the best cooking classes in the city, among others.
- Duration of the trip: 3 hours 30 minutes (time may vary according to traffic conditions).
- Price: the average price of this transfer is from 620€ per car.
- Advantages of using this method: not only will you travel without having to share the car with unknown passengers, but you will also leave from the airport door to the door of your hotel or indicated destination in Taormina.
- How to book this transportation: the reservation of this service is carried out through the official website of the selected transportation company. You will have to enter the portal, register in the indicated option (private transfer) and indicate the destination, flight arrival time, date, among other data. In addition, you will generally be asked to pay electronically at least 50% of the total cost.
- Recommended if... you wish to experience an exclusive and comfortable transfer between Palermo airport and Taormina, enjoying a completely personalized service.
Private transfer vs. shared transfer
Both private and shared transfers are good alternatives to move safely between Palermo airport and Taormina. However, there are some differences between the two services, which you should carefully evaluate before choosing between them.
The private service establishes a waiting time according to the arrival time of your flight, so if you are late for more than that time (approximately 45 minutes), you will lose the transfer. The opposite happens in the shared service, in which you are immediately assigned a new seat on another bus.
The private transfer offers you an exclusive service, in which you can travel only with a small group of family or friends (7 people maximum). On the other hand, when using the shared mode, you will have to travel with strangers on a bus (20 passengers or more).
With the private service, once you meet the driver at the airport arrival hall, you will leave immediately to your destination in the car or van. Meanwhile, with the shared transfer you will have to wait for all passengers to arrive, according to the set time to start the trip.
3. The train, the longest but cheapest option if you are on a budget
The train service is the ideal option if you are not in a hurry and want a cheap transfer. After getting your luggage, you will have to walk approximately four minutes to the Punta Raisi train station at Palermo airport. There, you will board the train to the Taormina Giardini terminal, located nine minutes by car from Taormina.
The companies responsible for operating the trains on this route (Palermo - Taormina) are Trenitalia and Trenitalia Intercity. You will have daily a couple of trains every hour from 05:15 am to 00:25 am. Therefore, you will have no inconvenience to move, whether you arrive at dawn or at midnight.
Also, you must take into consideration that this train transfer incorporates a stopover of approximately 35 minutes, since there is no direct route to Taormina. However, even though the trip is longer compared to the private or shared transfer, it is the best option if you are traveling on a budget.
- Travel time: 6 hours 25 minutes (approx.). However, the transfer may take a little longer than the stipulated time during the weekend.
- Price: the average price of the train ticket is from 23€ per person.
- Advantages of using this method: you will be able to transfer between Palermo airport and Taormina at a low cost, being able to save a considerable amount of money. All this, without sacrificing comfort.
- How to book this transport: to access the train service you can book the ticket via web or at the ticket offices available at the airport. In fact, you will be able to pay electronically and show the ticket on the screen of your cell phone.
- Recommended if... if you are not in a hurry, have a limited budget and therefore want an economical transfer.
4. A public bus, the cheapest option of all
Maybe you want to spend 1 day in Taormina or more, exploring its monuments and natural beauty, but you have a limited budget to transfer from Palermo airport. In this sense, using the public bus turns out to be the cheapest alternative of all. You will be able to travel like a local, while enjoying the scenery.
You should go directly to the first floor of the airport, specifically through the arrivals hall. Just to the right, you will see the Sais Autolinee bus stop. You will have to wait, as the bus usually runs every hour. In fact, it is best to check the schedules beforehand.
This transfer option does not require a reservation. All you have to do is board the bus (Palermo Via Tommaso Fazello) and then pay for your ticket on board. You will travel a route to Catania station (more than two hours) and you will have a stopover of at least 20 minutes. You will then take the Interbus route Catania Via Archimede, to continue your journey to Taormina - Via Luigi Pirandello (more than one hour).
- Duration of the trip: the transfer between Palermo airport and Taormina lasts approximately 6 hours and 22 minutes, including stopover time.
- Price: the average price of the transfer via the Sais Autolinee route is from 11€ per person. Meanwhile, the stopover on the Interbus to Taormina usually has an average cost of € 5 per passenger.
- Advantages of using this method: you will not make a large investment of money transferring you from the airport to your destination in Taormina, compared to the other services available.
- How to book this transportation: this service does not require any kind of reservation, so you can pay the entrance fee when boarding the bus. Similarly, if you wish, you can cancel the cost electronically and show the ticket in digital format from the screen of your cell phone.
- Recommended if... you want to save money and feel like a local while transferring between the airport and Taormina.
5. A cab, the most expensive but the fastest and most comfortable option
Cab service is considered the most expensive option to move between Palermo airport and Taormina. However, it is the most comfortable and fastest way to get to your hotel or destination in Sicily in record time.
You can access this service directly at Palermo Airport without any inconvenience. Simply, after passing through customs control and having your luggage in hand, you will have to go to the taxi rank located in front of the terminal. There, you will see the cabs.
Basically, there are three ways to use this cab service. These are:
- With reservation: you will have several options of cab companies to choose from. Whatever your decision is, you will have to make a reservation before the trip and the driver will be waiting for you at the taxi stand with a sign with your name on it.
- No reservation: despite not having made a reservation, when you approach the cab stand at the airport, you will find many cars immediately available.
- Shared cab: you will see in the arrivals area the shared cabs, available for up to four passengers. This service is provided by a couple of local cooperatives: Autoradio and Trinacria Radio Taxi.
Whichever cab option you select, you will enjoy a fast and reliable ride. You' ll relax in the car along the way, while recharging your batteries. And, depending on the time of your arrival in the city, you can join one of the best day trips from Taormina, walk around the historic center or discover some of the 10 things to do in Taormina at night, among other activities.
Details of interest
- Travel time: the transfer between Palermo airport and Taormina takes approximately 3 hours 13 minutes by cab.
- Price: the average price of this transport is from 325€ per person.
- Advantages of using this method: you will be transported without waiting time and in comfort from the airport gate to your immediate destination in Taormina.
- How to book this transfer: to book you must access the official website of the transfer company, request the service and fill out a form, indicating the flight time and the day of your arrival. In addition, you have the option without reservation and shared service, for which you just have to go to the airport cab stand and connect directly with the available cars.
- Recommended if... you want an immediate door-to-door transfer.
5. A rental car, a different option and at your own pace
If you like to travel at your own pace, then a rental car will be a different and attractive transfer option for you. Not only will you drive directly between Palermo airport and Taormina, but if you have time, you can stop along the way to explore the places that catch your attention.
To make use of this service, you will have to walk with your luggage in the direction of the bus or train station. In that area, just outside the airport, you will quickly see several car rental agencies. Such is the case of Centauro, Italy Car Rent Sicily by Car Autonoleggio Aeroporto di Palermo, among others.
Whatever the place of your choice, you will have the opportunity to rent a car that suits your needs (with space for up to seven people, baby seat, snow chains, etc). This way, you will travel in comfort and safety.
- Duration of the trip: the average transfer time is 3 hours and 15 minutes. But, everything will depend on traffic and weather conditions (snowfall).
- Price: the average price of the car rental service starts from 120€ per 24 hours.
- Advantages of using this method: you can travel according to your wishes, i.e. directly to your destination in Taormina without stops or, on the contrary, stop wherever you want along the way to explore.
- How to book this transport: to book this service you can access the official website of the respective rental company, fill out the form and pay the indicated cost electronically. You also have the option of renting the car directly from the airport, as there are many agencies in the surrounding area.
- Recommended if... you are an adventurous person, who wants to explore the road driving at your own pace.