Not all the best things to see in Cairo are in the city itself. Just over 100 kilometers south of Cairo lies one of the most beautiful natural sites in Egypt. The waters of the Nile are what bathe and give rise to the Fayum Oasis. A vast expanse of vegetation, water and archaeological sites surrounding its capital, the city Fayoum, and that together are one of the most interesting excursions that can be done from Cairo.
Within the entire extension that comprises the Fayoum oasis there are several very interesting points to know in an excursion. Lake Qarun, the lakes of Wadi Rayyan, the necropolis of Hawara or the pyramid of Meidum are the main attractions of Fayoum. To visit them it is best to hire an excursion and therefore I share in this post which are the best options.
Economy option: Simple excursion to Fayoum oasis
There are many options and types of excursions to visit Fayoum but we will begin this review with the most basic and economical option. The cheapest that can be hired start from 75 euros per person, including the following: Pick up and drop off from a point in Cairo, air-conditioned transportation, professional guide and entrance fees to the pyramid of Meidum and the archaeological site of Qarun.
Although this is the most economical option, it is a very complete excursion. The main difference is that it is done in large groups and leaves along the way some extras that other packages do offer. But if you are content to enjoy the essence of Fayoum without extras is a highly recommended option.
- Price: From 75 euros per person, 34 euros for children between 6 and 12 years. Children under 6 free.
- Duration: About 8 hours from the time of departure from Cairo to the time of return.
- What's included: Pick up and transfer from Cairo, transportation by air-conditioned bus, professional guide in several languages, tickets for the pyramid of Meidum and the site of Qarun.
- Means of transport: Air-conditioned bus.
- Recommended if: You are looking for the most economical option and are content to see the basics of Fayoum.
Intermediate option: Half day private tour to Fayoum
For a little more money we can visit Fayoum enjoying the advantages of a private excursion. The extra cost compared to a basic tour is justified first by the fact that you are picked up at the door of your hotel, the transfer is in a private van conditioned and that the tour is private for a very small group with the comfort that entails.
The entrances to the main points of Fayoum are also included. In addition to the pyramid of Meidum and the site of Qarun, you can also visit Wadi El-Rayan, a natural depression 42 meters under the sea in which there are two beautiful lakes connected. This type of excursion also usually includes lunch with products and drinks of the local gastronomy. All these advantages have a cost and the price of these excursions are around 150 euros.
- Price: From 150 euros per person
- Duration: 10 hours approximately from the departure from the hotel to the return.
- What's included: Pick up and return transfer from your hotel, private and air-conditioned minivans, entrance fees to the sights of Fayoum, private professional guide in your language, lunch in Fayoum.
- Means of transport: Private air-conditioned van.
- Recommended if: You want to visit Fayoum in the comfort of a private tour.
Premium option: All inclusive tour to Fayoum Oasis
If money is no problem and you want to see all that the Fayoum oasis has to offer with a premium experience, there is an option for you. It repeats the same dynamics as the previous excursion but with some extras. In addition to round-trip transfers in private, air-conditioned vehicles and pick-ups from the location of your choice, the premium excursions offer total freedom to see Fayoum the way you want to see it. You will have a professional guide to advise you on what to see and in what order, although the final decision is yours.
The itinerary is set by you and you can choose which points to visit from all those in the Fayoum oasis. My recommendations are that you prioritize to see the pyramid of Meidum, the Qarun Lake, the lakes of Wadi El Rayyan and the archaeological sites. Other advantages of this type of excursions is that they include lunches and meals with unlimited drinks. A great advantage considering the heat of the area.
- Price: From 230 euros.
- Duration: About 10 hours from hotel pick up to return.
- What's included: Pick up and return transfer from your hotel, private and air-conditioned minivans, entrance fees to the sights of Fayoum of your choice, private professional guide in your language, lunch, lunch and unlimited drinks.
- Means of transportation: Private air-conditioned van.
- Recommended if: You do not want to deprive yourself of anything and want to visit Fayoum with freedom and with all kinds of comforts.
Excursion to Fayoum + Sandboard in the desert
For the more adventurous there is a way to see the Fayoum oasis and enjoy a sporting activity that can only be done in the desert dunes. It is the Sandboard, a version of Snowboard but changing the snow for the sand of the desert. To practice this fun sport can be hired along with your excursion to the Fayoum oasis.
The excursion is organized in the same way as the previous ones but adding a transfer section to a dune area where, with the teaching and supervision of a guide, you will be given a board similar to the snowboard to slide down the dunes. A fun ending to a special day in Fayoum.
- Price: From 170 euros per person
- Duration: About 10 hours from departure to return, the Sand Boarding part lasts about two hours.
- What's included: Pick up and return transfer from your hotel, private and conditioned minivans, entrance fees to the sights of Fayoum, private professional guide in your language, lunch in Fayoum, transfer to the dunes with 4x4, Sanboard activity.
- Means of transport: Conditioned minivan and off-road vehicle.
- Recommended if: You want to combine the excursion to Fayoum with a dose of sport and adventure.
Two day safari with in Fayoum
A day trip to Fayoum may not be enough to cover all there is to see in this vast and beautiful area. In that case there is the possibility to extend your visit to Fayoum and spend a night in the oasis itself. This way you will see all the interesting places without leaving anything out and spending a magical night in a hotel in the area.
The transfer from Cairo is to the hotel where after dropping off your luggage you will start your two-day adventure aboard an SUV ready to go all over the Fayoum oasis. Lunches and meals, as well as drinks, are included in this type of safari in addition to all the entrance fees to the sites and places of the oasis.
- Price: From 250 euros per person.
- Duration: Two days
- What's included: Pick up and drop off and return from your hotel in a fully equipped minivan, 4x4 vehicle ready to move around the oasis, entrance fees to the sites of interest in Fayoum, stay in a hotel inside the oasis, professional guide in your language, lunch, food and beverages.
- Means of transportation: Minivans for the transfer from Cairo, SUVs to move around the oasis.
- Recommended if: You do not want to miss absolutely nothing of Fayoum and spend a magical night in the oasis itself.
Tips for excursions to Fayoum from Cairo
For this type of excursions, although they include all kinds of comforts, it is advisable to keep in mind a series of tips that will be useful to make the most of the Fayoum oasis:
- Although it is an oasis, it is still part of the desert and therefore you will have to take the same precautions. This includes protecting yourself with sunscreen, wearing a hat and appropriate clothing to withstand high temperatures.
- Although in many excursions drinks, mostly water, are included, it is always advisable to bring your own water bottle.
- As for clothing; prioritize comfort and wear light clothes, not too short, light colors and always protect your head.
- Footwear is also important, I recommend wearing comfortable and light boots for walking and another pair of sandals for the sandy areas as it is quite uncomfortable to get sand in your boots.