The villages of Bern and the top of Europe are some of the places in the Alps that you can enjoy in these experiences. Visiting the Alps is a must-do activity among the best things to see and do in Zurich.
One of the most spectacular experiences of this type of excursion is to ride a cogwheel train that will take you through the glaciers and the snow-filled Alps to see the highest mountains in Europe and see the most incredible landscapes of Switzerland.
Explore the Swiss Alps, visit dream villages and ride the Eiger Express cable car.
Enjoy these wonderful landscapes on a guided tour. Travel in luxury transportation and take postcard pictures.
This full-day excursion will take you from Zurich to the Swiss Alps on trails that will leave you speechless. You will ride the famous Eiger Express cable car to Jungfraujoch, a World Heritage mountain pass. There you can also visit the Sphinx observatory and then travel to the Ice Palace, where you can admire sculptures and works of art.
Recommended if...you are in Zurich and do not want to miss this pure nature experience only 130km away.
How is the day trip to Jungfraujoch and Oberland?
On this full day experience you will get to see the highest peak in all of Europe which is also known as Jungfraujoch. You will visit the Jungfrau region, and the towns of Interlaken and Grindelwald, as well as the Bernese Oberland, a high alpine region noted for its colorful landscapes, lakes and green hills.
An expert tour guide will accompany you throughout the trip and will be commenting in English on each of the places where you stop. You will be able to take the cable car and one of the best panoramic trains from Zurich to appreciate the scenery, as well as have the opportunity to enter an ice palace and also go up to the Sphinx observatory to take breathtaking pictures of the entire landscape.
Details of interest
- Price: from 298 euros per person.
- Duration: 12 hours from the time you leave the hotel until you return.
- Means of transportation: you will have to arrive on your own at the meeting point in the city of Zurich, right at the bus terminal. From there you will board an air-conditioned and fully equipped vehicle that will take you to the station to board the rack railway. The next ride will be by train to the cable car station where you will board the funicular.
- Advantages of this excursion: includes the cost of the rack railway and cable car transfer. An expert tour guide is included. You can choose to do this tour in English, Spanish or German. Public transportation is available near the starting point of the experience. Assistance animals are allowed and it is stroller accessible, as well as child seats are available.
Day trip to Zermatt and Gornergrat in small groups
On this tour you will be able to go to the Gornergrat as well as see the snow-capped peaks of the Matterhorn. In this trip you will have the possibility to depart from Zurich to Bern and then to these imposing places of the Swiss geography. To go to Gornergrat you will board a rack railway that will take you to see beautiful landscapes along the way.
With this combined excursion, you will get to know the historical and cultural center of the Zermatt area. The tour guide will help you learn more about the geography of this area, while telling you about the different cultural characteristics of Switzerland and its traditions.
Details of interest
- Price: from 500 euros per person.
- Duration: it has an approximate duration of 11-12 hours.
- Means of Transportation: bus ride to the train station. Ascent by train to Zermatt and to Gornergrat. Part of the tour is on foot.
- Advantages of this tour: entrance fees to all attractions are included as well as all taxes, fees and handling charges. The company of a tour guide is included for the entire trip. A priority pass for the Matterhorn train ride is also included.
Excursion to Grindelwald and Interlaken
Almost every Alpine sightseeing experience includes a train ride that will leave you with beautiful postcards, especially if you decide to visit Zurich in winter.
In this combined excursion of about 12 hours, you will start the journey from Zurich in an air-conditioned vehicle to Interlaken where you will board the train. From there you will continue your journey to the next stop at the Grindelwald terminal. There you will be able to change transport again and board the cable car that will take you to the top of Europe.
Always accompanied by an expert guide who will liven up your experience, you can enjoy incredible panoramic views of the mountains and take home a unique souvenir.
Details of interest
- Price: from 178 euros per person.
- Duration: it has an approximate duration of 12 hours.
- Means of transport: equipped vehicle to the train station. Then intercity train, cable car and if you want you can jump on a zip line or drive a mountain bike.
- Advantages of this excursion: includes a tour guide during the whole trip. Entrance fees to the different attractions are included. All taxes, fees and similar expenses are covered. Including entrance fees to the Grindelwald terminal at the top of Europe.
Helicopter flight over the Jungfraujoch and transfer from Zurich by limousine
If already visiting the Jungfraujoch area by cog railway and cable car, besides having the opportunity to walk in the snow, is a unique experience, imagine getting on a helicopter and flying over the Alps. One of the biggest advantages of this flight is that you can do it alone with your group.
This tour includes a limousine transfer to the heliport where you will board the helicopter with your group to climb to the top of Europe and see the incredible scenery up close.
It is important to know that the flight may be cancelled due to weather conditions, often because of wind or snow, regardless of the season. In this case, the experience can be exchanged for a train ride to the top of the Jungfraujoch.
Details of interest
- Price: it is priced at approximately €8,980 per adult, although it may vary according to the size of the group.
- Duration: it is a full day experience of between 8 and 10 hours.
- Means of transportation: private transportation from your hotel in Zurich.
- Advantages of this flight: all taxes and fees are included in the price. Private transportation is also included, as well as round-trip transportation from your hotel in Zurich. You will have a private guide who will explain the entire tour. This is a private tour so only your group will participate.
- Disadvantages of this flight: This plan is not suitable for people with heart problems, back problems or pregnant women. It is not an accessible experience for people in wheelchairs. The weather must be good for this activity to take place, otherwise, you will have to cancel and look for another way to go up. Food and beverages are not included.
Excursion with ascent of Mount Titlis and the city of Lucerne
This full day excursion is one of the best excursions in Zurich because it takes you to some of the most beautiful places in Switzerland such as Mount Titlis and the city of Lucerne.
The tour starts with a short tour of the city of Lucerne, where you will have a guide who will give you an orientation of each place you will see on the tour.
After leaving Lucerne behind, you will continue your way to the town of Engelberg, which is located at the foot of Mount Titlis, which you will also have the opportunity to climb during the tour. Once at the top, I invite you to take lots of pictures of the spectacular views of the Alps that you will only have the opportunity to see from this special place. You will also take a chairlift, weather permitting.
Details of interest
- Price: from 179 euros per person.
- Duration: it lasts approximately 9 hours and a half from the time you leave the hotel where you are staying until you return.
- Means of transportation: by your own means you will have to get to the meeting point in Zurich, where you will get on the bus with all the comforts. You will also take the cable car.
- Advantages of this tour: a tour guide is included at all times. The vehicle that will take you there and back is equipped with everything you need. Includes the cable car ride and snow tubing in Glacier Park. It also includes a visit to the glacier cave, weather permitting.
Excursion with private guide on board the Glacier Express to the Alps
On this scenic ride you will have the opportunity to see spectacular scenery while aboard the Glacier Express. Included in this experience is a walking tour of the entire town of Chur, one of the most beautiful towns in the Swiss Alps. You will also be able to visit the Grand Canyon and the highest snow-capped peaks in the country.
On this trip, which I would include in my complete guide of things to do in Zurich in 3 days, you have the possibility to board a luxury bus in Zurich and then travel in comfort to the boarding point of the train. On the private tour you will have the opportunity to take multiple photos to remember the trip.
- Price: approximately 530 euros per person.
- Duration: it lasts approximately 10 hours, so it is a full day trip.
- Means of transportation: this trip is by train, but to get to the station you will have to take a bus with all amenities in Zurich.
- Advantages of this tour: all processing fees, taxes and additional fees that may arise are included. It also includes the attention of an expert guide who will guide you throughout the tour. You will have access to an informative brochure during the trip. Your seat on the Glacier Express train is included. Pick up and drop off at the hotel is included. This is a private experience, so only your group can participate. It is wheelchair accessible.
Self-guided tour of Zermatt and Mount Gornergrat
On this self-guided tour you are offered a complete step-by-step guide on how to have an amazing experience through Mount Gornergrat and the alpine village of Zermatt. This is one of the best experiences for independent travelers who want to have time to see each place on their own.
One of the most interesting attractions you will see in the village of Zermatt is that this is a completely car-free alpine area. In addition, you will always have the Matterhorn in front of you, which will give you postcard views to take all the pictures you want. Throughout the tour you are guaranteed emergency communication with the travel agency.
- Price: this experience has an approximate price of 378 euros per person.
- Duration: you can do this tour in approximately 8 hours from the time you leave the train station in Zurich until you return back.
- Means of transportation: you will board a rack railway train, but to get to the train station, you will have to do it on your own by public transportation.
- Advantages of this guided tour: all taxes, handling fees and fares required during the trip are included. Also included are tickets to board the train, and brochures with timetables and alternatives.
Tips for an excursion to the Swiss Alps
- Wear closed shoes suitable for winter, so that you can withstand the low temperatures and also the snow.
- Wear warm enough clothing, because these tours are regularly done in winter, so it is important to keep your body warm.
- Check the weather before venturing on such an experience, because in some cases experiences are cancelled due to bad weather.
- If you have any limitations in terms of food, you should tell your guide beforehand, in case the excursion includes cheese tastings or other products.
Which villages should I not miss on a trip to the Alps?
Especially the Bernese villages are not to be missed and you should not miss places like Interlaken or Grindelwald, which are the most special in the whole Alpine region. During the tour through the Alps you will pass through, at least just passing through, some villages of the Swiss countryside, so I recommend you to take a lot of pictures at this point.
Of course you will visit the Jungfraujoch area, a cozy village that you will have the opportunity to photograph from the heights and among its streets. You will also be able to visit or perhaps see in passing some other villages, such as Coira and Lauterbrunnen.
What are the advantages of taking a guided tour vs. visiting the Alps on my own?
- Taking a guided tour to the Alps
- You will know which are the most interesting places to visit
- You will have everything covered in terms of safety and taxes.
- Listen to expert commentary to tell you all about the Alps
- You will have all the equipment you need to hike in the snow and climb the heights
- You will always have someone by your side telling you how to use everything you don't know.
- Go on your own in the Alps
- You will visit places but may miss many others due to lack of knowledge.
- You will have to pay all taxes and entrance fees, among other things, at each place.
- You will not have the opportunity to listen to comments or clarify any doubts you may have.
- You will have to rent or buy the necessary equipment to walk in the snow.
- You will have to ask at every moment what to do, where to go and what to do next.