During your trip to Lanzarote with children, you may wonder what are the best things to do on the island so that they do not get bored. In this sense, you will be pleased to know that there are many activities that will be interesting for the little ones as well as for you. Therefore, having fun as a family will not be a problem.
Children will be able to learn about volcanic faults while having fun exploring a real lunar field. They can also learn about the marine fauna in the island's aquarium and dive into the crystal-clear waters of the beaches located in the southern or northern region for a safe swim. Older children can learn to surf, snorkel and dive, experiencing a real marine adventure.
1. Give children a fun educational experience in Timanfaya National Park
If you want to make the most of your 3-day stay in Lanzarote with children, then you will want to dedicate at least half a day to visit Timanfaya.
This is a protected national park, where the little ones can learn and have fun. For this reason, an excursion to Timanfaya in Lanzarote should not be missing on your list.
Also, keep in mind that here, children will enjoy a reduced entrance fee and may even get in for free.
For example, if the little one is less than 7 years old, he will enter for free, but if his age is between 7 and 11 years old, you will have to pay half the general value, that is, 6 €.
Also, inside the park is the Visitor's Center, whose entrance is free for children and adults.
After passing through the ticket office and paying the entrance fee (reduced or full), you can go to where the buses are located, ready to make the tour of the park.
Certainly, this is another reason why you will not have to worry about taking the little ones, since the tour will not be hard for them.
For 45 minutes, you and the kids will ride around the park in a comfortable seat, sheltered from the sun and enjoying the volcanic landscape.
Of course, occasionally you will get off the bus at the established stops to be in contact with nature, explore a little, appreciate the environment in detail and take pictures.
In the visitor center the children will be able to see some projections (Timanfaya, National Park, Fire Mountains, Diaporama: Timanfaya and Lanzarote).
They will also have access to the simulation room, where they will learn about the eruption process and the experience lived by the people of Lanzarote during these natural events.
You can also buy souvenirs in the store and contemplate the landscape from the viewpoints and the walkway.
Practical information about Timanfaya
- Price: average price 12 euros (adults), 6 euros (7 to 11 years) and children under 7 years free. Visitor Center (free for adults and children).
- Hours: Monday to Friday (9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.).
- Where: Timanfaya National Park.
2. Entertain the children with a camel ride
Undoubtedly, this will be a unique and fun experience for them. They will be able to be part of a caravan, like the ones they usually see in movies or children's stories.
The ride has an approximate duration of 30 minutes and you can hire it at the well known camel shed, just outside the ticket office of the Timanfaya National Park.
There, you must pay an average price of 12€ per person and if your little one is under 4 years old, he/she will participate for free in the activity. However, you will have to carry him sitting on your legs.
During this tour, you will go through different routes: Timanfaya, Laguna Verde, Hervideros, Geria, among others. Whatever the case may be, you will enjoy a desert and volcanic landscape that, from the children's perspective, will surely transport them to a lunar scenario, due to the craters and contrast of colors in the environment.
- Price: average price of 12 euros and free for children under 4 years old.
- Hours: daily from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- Where: Camel's camp (outside the Timanfaya National Park).
3. Visit the main beaches of Lanzarote for the kids to enjoy some water activities
The beach is always a good option for children. There, they will be able to lie down on the sand to play with it and run freely while exploring the environment and the peculiarities of these volcanic beaches.
They will also have the opportunity to enjoy the best water activities: kayaking, snorkeling and scuba diving with the other members of the family.
Undoubtedly, an experience that the little ones will love and will allow them to create good memories of the trip.
Among the most recommended beaches for children are the following:
- Playa Jablillo: ideal for swimming with children because there are no waves. They will be able to snorkel and explore among the rocks with low water, to discover some marine species.
- Playa Chica: this is a small family beach, there are no waves, the waters are calm and the tide is generally low, allowing the little ones to explore safely. In addition, there are some kiosks that offer children's menus.
- Playa Blanca: here children can swim without fear, because the bottom is shallow. In addition, the waters are calm due to the two tongues of lava that surround the beach.
On the other hand, if your child is a surfing enthusiast and dreams of sliding on a board, then this trip will be the perfect opportunity for you to fulfill his or her dream.
The child will be able to learn in a safe way and from the hand of a professional. In addition, on the way to the island, the child will live a real adventure, getting on the ferry used for the transfer.
4. Surprise the kids with a visit to the Aquarium of Lanzarote to learn about marine life
After having visited the best beaches of Lanzarote and observed some colorful fish and other species, children will surely want to continue learning more about marine life.
If so, the Aquarium of Lanzarote offers underwater tunnels, contact pools where they can feed some animals and hundreds of aquatic species, distributed in a total of 33 aquariums.
What they will see in the Aquarium
Children will be amazed by the variety of predators (sharks) found in the underwater tunnel. They will also enjoy the colorful clown fish, which will surely remind them of the friendly protagonist of the animated movie "Finding Nemo".
In addition, you will be able to see the famous balloon fish, tigers and goldfish, fire dragons, jellyfish and blind hermit crabs.
Another of the Aquarium's attractions is the popular Lurdita. It is a die-cut turtle that will teach children a great lesson and make adults think about the damage caused to the environment.
This marine reptile lost its front legs because of a plastic waste vine, was rescued and is now protected by the aquarium.
Finally, there are the tactile aquariums, where you can live a unique experience with your children. You will have the opportunity to touch some sea cucumbers, sea urchins and other species. All this, with the supervision of the staff of the place.
Practical information about the Aquarium
- Price: average price 15 euros (adults) and 10 euros (children).
- Hours: from 10:00 to 18:00 hours
- Where: Aquarium of Lanzarote, in the town of Teguise.
5. Join the fun at the Aqualava water park with special games for children
A fun option for children of all ages is Aqualava, a themed water park with slides, special games for the little ones and other activities that will guarantee fun for the whole family.
Here you will find several pools with different depth levels and the Corsario Bay attraction , aimed at the enjoyment of the little ones of the house. In it they can slide down ramps that will not cover them too much, so safety is guaranteed.
The park also has attractions for older children, with a minimum height of 1.20 meters. This is Timanfire, a system of slides that offers a thrilling and adrenaline-filled experience.
There is also Magma river, where the whole family can participate together. Of course, here children must wear floats.
On the other hand, Aqualava Beach stands out , where the marine experience can be taken to another level. And, is that this saltwater pool has artificial waves, so that everyone can get on a surfboard and slide as if they were on the beach.
- Price: from 22 euros (adults) and 15 euros (children).
- Hours: from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm.
- Where: Aqualava water park in Playa Blanca.
6. Discover all the attractions of Rancho Texas Lanzarote Park together with the kids
Spending 5 days in Lanzarote with children will allow you to discover a series of places with fun attractions, where both the little ones and you will live unique experiences.
Such is the case of Rancho Texas Lanzarote Park, where you will find birds of prey, domestic and exotic birds, mammals and reptiles.
In this theme park children under 3 years old enter for free and up to 12 years old pay a reduced entrance fee. In fact, the activities offered daily are largely designed so that children can share them with their parents. So neither you nor they will be bored:
- Pony rides: children will be able to feel like cowboys riding these friendly four-legged animals.
- See dolphins and interact with them: ideal if your little ones are enthusiastic about these animals. Certainly one of the best experiences to see dolphins in Lanzarote. In addition, the experience includes contact with sea lions.
- Environmental classroom: thanks to 4k technology, children will learn in an interactive way everything related to marine life, botany and the natural environment in general.
- Slides: perfect for cooling off and relaxing in a beautiful pool with the children. They can also slide down some slides and have fun under some water fountains.
- Bird shows: throughout the day you will have the opportunity to watch some bird shows, offered by the park's trainers.
- Price: from 36 euros (adults) and 24 euros (children).
- Hours: from 9:30 am to 5:30 pm.
- Where: Rancho Texas Lanzarote Park in Puerto del Carmen.
7. Show the children how nature and man's ingenuity merge at Jameos de Agua in Lanzarote
When visiting Jameos del Agua in Lanzarote, children will experience the feeling that they are participating in the search for a hidden treasure.
And, in fact, from the very first moment, the little ones will be able to discover an environment different from any other place on the island.
During the visit to Jameos de Agua, children learn that it is possible to modify a natural fault to provide an artificial setting without affecting the existing flora and fauna in the area.
What to see in Jameos de Agua
In this place, children will be able to see a species of crustacean unique in the world. It is the jameitos, which are blind albino crabs in danger of extinction.
In addition, there is the lagoon of water filtered from the sea, which is located right next to the central auditorium, where you will also see some ferns and vegetation characteristic of this area.
Afterwards, you can go up some stairs and find a beautiful natural pool, where you can take many pictures with the children. On the other hand, there is also a restaurant with a special menu for the little ones of the house. They will be able to eat with the family while enjoying the surroundings.
Practical information about Jameos del Agua
- Price: from 10 euros (adults) and 6 euros (children from 7 to 12).
- Hours: from 10:00 to 18:00 hours.
- Where: Jameos de Agua, in Arrecife.
8. Take the kids on a submarine and explore together the bottom of the ocean
Lanzarote has so many activities, tours and day trips to share with the kids during your stay that the little ones will definitely not have a chance to get bored. A good example of this is the submarine experience, to explore the bottom of the ocean and see marine life up close. The activity takes place in Puerto Calero and has a reduced price for children between 2 and 14 years old. During the experience of approximately 1 hour, both you and the little ones will board a submarine with 22 portholes, which dives to a depth of 30 meters, from where you can enjoy the marine environment. During the dive you will be able to see eels, breams, groupers, rays and much more. In addition, the specialized guide will tell you the history of the different species.
Practical information about Lanzarote
- Price: from 59 euros (adults) and 39 euros (children).
- Hours: from 11:00 a.m.
- Where: Puerto Calero.
9. Visit the Natural Park Dunas de Corralejo: a natural space where children can run, play and enjoy themselves
This neighboring island is home to the Parque Natural Dunas de Corralejo, a small-scale desert at least 8 kilometers long.
There, the little ones will be able to run freely and do somersaults on the sea of sand, while you enjoy this peculiar environment, do yoga, relax and take pictures. Undoubtedly, fun is guaranteed.
To get there, you must take a ferry from Lanzarote to Fuerteventura, which will certainly be an aquatic adventure for children. Upon arrival on the island, you can start the route to the Natural Park Dunas de Corralejo on your own.
However, it is best to hire a buggy excursion or bus tour, to ensure the comfort of the children and to discover other nearby destinations with volcanoes, cliffs and valleys.
- Price: free admission.
- Time: any time of the day.
- Where: Fuerteventura.
10. Come to the Marina Rubicon Market for the kids to enjoy the open air cinema and other activities
The market of Marina Rubicon is another destination that children can enjoy during the visit to Lanzarote, as every month there are special activities for children: outdoor cinema with animated films, diving lessons, among others.
On the other hand, you can buy some souvenirs of the trip: handicrafts, sweets and traditional food, wines grown in ashes and natural treatments based on the aloe vera plant, among others.
Just go to the Marina Rubicon Marina in the southern region of Lanzarote, where every Wednesday and Saturday of the year, this colorful market with dozens of stores is set up from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm.
In addition, if you wish, you can take advantage of being at the pier to take a boat tour of Lanzarote. Surely, you and the kids will enjoy it.
Practical information about Lanzarote
- Price: free admission.
- Hours: Wednesday and Saturday (9:00 to 14:00 hours).
- Where: Marina Rubicon.