Pompeii and Vesuvius Day Trip from Naples
About this activity
Smartphone tickets accepted
- Your booking is confirmed instantly
- This activity is in your language
- This option has FREE cancellation: book it without any risk!
Join this excursion and get to know Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius. The activity will last approximately 7 hours . You will depart from Naples and visit the city of Pompeii, known for having been destroyed after the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 A.D. Afterwards, you will continue to the Mount Vesuvius National Park, where you can climb to the top of this active volcano in the southern Apennines.
Throughout the excursion, you will be accompanied by an expert guide, thanks to whom you will be able to learn many interesting facts about the history, architecture and current affairs of the places you will visit. In Pompeii, you will visit famous sites such as the Forum and the Lupanar, while from the top of Vesuvius, you can enjoy the beautiful views of the crater and the south of Italy .
- Visit Pompeii and discover what daily life was like for the ancient Romans.
- Climb to the top of Mount Vesuvius and enjoy views of the Italian countryside.
- Learn about the history of both sites from an expert guide.
- Excursion to Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius from Naples
- Entrance to the archaeological site of Pompeii
- Entrance to Mount Vesuvius National Park
- Expert guide
Select participants and date
Step by Step
In this activity, which lasts about 7 hours, you will have the opportunity to visit the city of Pompeii from Naples and climb to the top of Mount Vesuvius . In 79 AD, the eruption of the volcano buried Pompeii under a mountain of ashes, which allowed the city to be preserved through the centuries. Today, Pompeii is a World Heritage Site and the largest archaeological site in Europe.
Throughout the activity, you will be accompanied by an expert guide, together with whom you will learn about the history of both sites. You will see the artefacts and corpses that were buried and petrified under the volcanic ash and get an insight into the daily life of the ancient Romans. Some of the places you will visit in the city are the following:
- The Forum: The Forum was accessed through a gigantic bronze gate, from which the transit of carriages was forbidden. The Forum was the centre of Pompeii's social and commercial life, where goods were offered, trades were advertised and edicts were published
- The Baths: Of great importance in Ancient Rome, the baths were often free of charge and an important social gathering place. In Pompeii, the oldest known baths are the Stabian Baths, built in the 4th century BC.
- The Casa Vetti: One of the most luxurious residences in Pompeii, owned by wealthy former freedmen. Many frescoes are preserved on its walls, which have earned it the nickname of the Sistine Chapel of Pompeii.
- The Lupanar: In Ancient Rome, prostitutes were known by the name of lupa, which in Latin means she-wolf. Hence, brothels are also known by the name of Lupanar. This building was the main establishment of its kind in the city and still preserves erotic paintings from Roman times.
After the visit, you will have free time to enjoy a lunch of Italian food and visit the shops in the archaeological site. Afterwards, you will continue by bus to Mount Vesuvius, which you can climb. From the top of the volcano, located at an altitude of 1200 metres, you will enjoy the breathtaking views of Naples, bathed by the Tyrrhenian Sea.
You can also look down into the crater and admire the view of the famous volcano, which is still active. In case you don't want to climb to the top, you can wait for your group at a resting point at the foot of the mountain. Once the excursion is over, you will return to the original starting point, as it is a round trip. The activity includes both the pick-up and return to the hotel, port, station or train.